White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 AM
WSI Personality

Default Bajenaru

Anyone see Bajenaru pitch last night for Charlotte? I saw he had 1 IP and gave up one hit in getting the save in his AAA debut. His numbers in AA were absolutely staggering. Any chance he gets up to the show this year? Does he have big league stuff? He has to be better than Mike Jackson, right???

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Old 07-20-2004, 07:11 AM
WSI High Priest

I would think if he can pitch in the Bandbox known as Charlotte, then we will see him later on this year.

At this point, I would rather see Baj than Michael Jackson, anyway.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 07-20-2004, 10:12 AM
WSI Regular

He didnt get the save as Charlotte was up by like six runs. It was encouraging to see him pitching well though.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
Anyone see Bajenaru pitch last night for Charlotte? I saw he had 1 IP and gave up one hit in getting the save in his AAA debut. His numbers in AA were absolutely staggering. Any chance he gets up to the show this year? Does he have big league stuff? He has to be better than Mike Jackson, right???
Here's what I wrote on him in the Sox Clubhouse in another thread:

He had Tommy John Surgery in May 2002, and came back pretty quickly, he learned a cutter (more of a slider/cutter mix)to go with his FB, change, and knuckle-curve. He was a 36th rounder in the 1999 draft out of U. of Oklahoma and was moving up rapidly until his injury. He throws his fastball in the legit low 90's. He's only about 6'1" and around 190 pounds or so.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
I'm not sure about Jackson but I'd put money on the fact that he's better than Adkins.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-21-2004, 08:19 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
He didnt get the save as Charlotte was up by like six runs. It was encouraging to see him pitching well though.
Actually, he is 2 for 2 in save opportunities in his first 2 days in Charlotte. Not a bad start!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Baj's last couple outings in Charlotte should serve as a reminder that we should be weary of a 26 year old closers' stats in AA.

I'm not saying the guy will never make the big leagues, but we've got to keep statistics in perspective. I count 4 dominant closers in the past 4 years in Birmingham that basically have struggled to make a mark in the majors or even AAA.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Baj's last couple outings in Charlotte should serve as a reminder that we should be weary of a 26 year old closers' stats in AA.

I'm not saying the guy will never make the big leagues, but we've got to keep statistics in perspective. I count 4 dominant closers in the past 4 years in Birmingham that basically have struggled to make a mark in the majors or even AAA.
To expand on that a little, be very wary of any pitcher's stats at Birmingham. Munoz, Cotts, Pacheco, Wright to name a few recently.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
To expand on that a little, be very wary of any pitcher's stats at Birmingham. Munoz, Cotts, Pacheco, Wright to name a few recently.
Buehrle too, he was terrible.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Can you believe how much that guy sucked? LOL

A note about Bajenaru..... I am not saying he is superman, but he is better than what he has showed in the last month or two. He has been hurt (groin injury) and has not been the same pitcher as he was earlier in the year. The injury affects his right leg, not allowing him to push off the mound when he throws.

Even before his promotion to Charlotte, he was struggling with command in Birmingham. Having watched him all season, there was a definite difference in the way he was pitching. The injury was not common knowledge at first, so I had begun to wonder. You could tell he was struggling even though his numbers/results were still there.

Unfortunately, he may have to pitch with it the rest of the year. Rest is really the only thing that will allow him to get healthy again.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
That's your one D'wayne.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
For sure. I'd really like to see our developmental system require that our starting prospects put in some time a AAA before making the jump to the big leagues.

It does make what Buehrle accomplished a little more impressive.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Unfortunately, he may have to pitch with it the rest of the year. Rest is really the only thing that will allow him to get healthy again.
That's too bad. I know many are concerned about his age, but he was drafted as a raw player out of college and then basically lost almost 2 years to Tommy John (1 recovery year, one year without being 100%).

Here's hoping, but the history of guys like Valentine, Almonte, etc isn't too great.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Munoz is 22. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. Pacheco was rather old for the league and Cotts and Wright skipped AAA.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Munoz is 22. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. Pacheco was rather old for the league and Cotts and Wright skipped AAA.
I'm not writing Munoz off though I'm concerned that his velocity isn't good enough despite his devestating curve.