White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 AM
Banned

Our future SS and leadoff man...

Wilson Valdez is currently hitting .344 in 131 at bats for the Charlotte Knights. When he was with the Florida Marlins AAA (Albuquerque Isotopes) he hit .319 with 19 stolen bases in 276 at bats.

Valdez is 26 years old and is mainly a singles hitter with good base stealing speed and a great glove at shortstop. It's nice to know that we have a replacement for Valentin when he retires. Jose is 34 years old afterall. I look for this kid to make the Sox roster next season as our backup shortstop/pinch runner.

One last thing, I'd like to thank Billy Koch for somehow having enough trade value left in him for the Sox to pull in a guy like Valdez from the Marlins. As much as I hated watching him blow save after save, it was nice he could net us Wilson Valdez.

Last edited by Aidan; 07-23-2004 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Wilson Valdez is currently hitting .344 in 131 at bats for the Charlotte Knights. When he was with the Florida Marlins AAA (Albuquerque Isotopes) he hit .319 with 19 stolen bases in 276 at bats.

Valdez is 26 years old and is mainly a singles hitter with good base stealing speed and a great glove at shortstop. It's nice to know that we have a replacement for Valentin when he retires. Jose is 34 years old afterall. I look for this kid to make the Sox roster next season as our backup shortstop/pinch runner.

One last thing, I'd like to thank Billy Koch for somehow having enough trade value left in him for the Sox to pull in a guy like Valdez from the Marlins. As much as I hated watching him blow save after save, it was nice he could net us Wilson Valdez.
Wilson Valdez has 2 walks and 18 strikeouts. Now I am no stathead, but I know that could be a problem. You want a patient hitter in the leadoff role so that the next few batters can see some pitches. Plus, the leadoff man needs to get on base at a decent clip so the RBI guys can drive him in. It looks like Valdez will need to learn to be a lot more patient before he will be a great leadoff hitter.

By the way, shortstop is primarily a defensive position (regardless of what statheads might think). Can someone that has seen Valdez play shed some light on his defensive skills?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

actually i believe that our future SS is uribe
Old 07-23-2004, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Valdez is not a future lead-off hitter. He has a good glove, but he really isn't much more than a utility or depth-player.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu
actually i believe that our future SS is uribe
If our future SS is Uribe, we are in big trouble. If this guy didn't have a unconscious first 5 weeks, we would be screaming to cut the guy.

He is a notorious fast starter. He started fast. He has tailed off dramatically since then. His numbers are fading (or going to be) back to a little above his career averages. He is not the answer, unless you think Uribe's career numbers are worthy of a starting position. I don't.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 07-23-2004, 01:52 PM
WSI Personality

Defensively Valdez can do some impressive things. He has good range and a strong arm (not Jose strong, but its good). He can move both ways with good range and from the little I've seen of him makes good, strong accurate throws from the run.

Offensively the walks are a concern, but I could definately see him having some effect at the major league level next year. To think the Sox got him for Koch is another positive, but yes, his lack of walks is tough. Ozzie was a huge influence on him in the Marlins organization.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
New At WSI

Default Uribe and Valdez

Well I am completely amazed with the performance of Uribe. Here in Dominican Republic, is the opposite, we applause Uribe when he hit a foul ball. Valdez was an excellent surprise for his team, he had and outstanding performance, was very valuable for his team.