White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 06:16 PM
WSI Regular

Default W-S and Bristol

Every night when I check out the minor league box scores I always look most forward to checking W-S's. They have two young bats in Sweeney and Fields, and two of our young arms in McCarthy and Lumsden. Yet it seems like everytime I look Fields is adding to his constantly growing k rate. Pretty soon he's going to have more k's than the other Josh Fields at AA. Also, Lumsden has gotten ripped in every start. He hasnt given up many dongs, so what's the deal? Anybody seen these guys and know why they are struggling? It's nice at least to see Sweeney hold his own at 19 (he's been hot recently), and Gio tear it up at Bristol.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:40 PM
WSI Personality

Post The other Josh Fields

Yeah, he's striking out more than once in every three at bats. I think they may have challenged him more than they thought by jumping him to this level. Remember, Anderson started (albeit briefly) at Great Falls and then had a full spring before he had to adjust to the Carolina League. I hope Fields makes the adjustment, because what he's doing right now does not bode well.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Yeah, he's striking out more than once in every three at bats. I think they may have challenged him more than they thought by jumping him to this level. Remember, Anderson started (albeit briefly) at Great Falls and then had a full spring before he had to adjust to the Carolina League. I hope Fields makes the adjustment, because what he's doing right now does not bode well.
It's his first taste of pro ball and there will certainly be an adjustment period. He has to cut his swing down and adjust to the wood bats too. Even if he struggles, it bodes absolutely nothing, IMO.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:57 PM
WSI Regular

What about Lumsden? He has struggled as well. His scouting reports say he had one of the most live arms in the draft (good velocity, movement anyways), but his college stats were sub-par. I know its early, but is he gonna be another Sox pitcher with great stuff that can't convert it into success. What are his problems so far?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
What about Lumsden? He has struggled as well. His scouting reports say he had one of the most live arms in the draft (good velocity, movement anyways), but his college stats were sub-par. I know its early, but is he gonna be another Sox pitcher with great stuff that can't convert it into success. What are his problems so far?
He could turn out well or be another Wyatt Allen. I was pretty surprised they started him at W-S. I thought he could have used at least a few innings at Kanny, but W-S has been short arms all year and McCarthy's been the only guy to earn a promotion to W-S anyways.

He's inconsistent in his mechanics. When guys who have just been drafted are pushed the way a couple of these guys have been, I mean really challenged, they are going to struggle. Most of the time the instructors are working with these guys a lot on the side and telling them not to worry about results, trying to correct the major flaws and working their way down. Pitchers especially are often times slow to change, most have been throwing in a certain way their whole lives. Lumsden has the body and the arm, but repeating his mechanics and having a stable mental approach are the biggest things to settling him down. Don't be surprised if he starts back at W-S next year and does very well. This first taste of pro-ball for 2004 draftees is going to be a learning experience, and that's it, IMO. You can't really judge by the numbers alone.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:11 PM
WSI Personality

Also at WS, don't forget about Sean Tracey, who has been pitching awesome down their all year. He has had some control problems off and on, but has good stuff and is what I'd consider a sleeper prospect who may be talked abotu more and more as he moves up in the organization.

I think Randar sums it up good on Lumsden. It was odd for him to go up their. I would of much rather seen Rodriguez moved up to Winston Salem along with McCarthy. Heck, I'm still a little puzzled at Wisler being in Kanny, cause i think he would of been better suited at Great Falls.

The Sox want to throw these guys in their though and see how they react. And just remember, Anderson was playing at Great Falls in his 1st year...Fields is at Winston Salem...thats a pretty big difference in the talent level.

Also note that Anderson struggled his first month or so in Winston Salem until he made his adjustments or what not and then really went on his tear.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
[Lumsden] could turn out well or be another Wyatt Allen.
If Shaffer had an idea that Reed would be traded I wonder if he would have taken Syzmanski instead of Lumsden. Also, with Garcia locked up for 3 years the need for Lumsden isn't as pressing and Syzmanski I think is the better prospect anyway.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
If Shaffer had an idea that Reed would be traded I wonder if he would have taken Syzmanski instead of Lumsden. Also, with Garcia locked up for 3 years the need for Lumsden isn't as pressing and Syzmanski I think is the better prospect anyway.
3 years from now, neither Lumsden nor Syzmanski is going to be making any kind of impact on the major league level. Frankly, Reed, is being replaced by Brian Anderson, a true CF'er with better tools. We won't know for sure who is the better MLB player for a few years, but I've always thought Anderson had the higher ceiling.

With Anderson, Borchard, Sweeney, Nanita, Chris Young and Spidale, i don't think the Sox are desperate for OF'ers by any means. Pitching is a much bigger need, as it generally is for every organization.

Corner IF and C were the 2 biggest positional needs going into the draft, and while i would have preferred to see Suzuki drafted in the 2nd round, Lucy isn't a bad pick
Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 AM
WSI Personality

As for Fields struggles, I think people immensely underestimate the switch from aluminum to wood bats. Believe me, it takes some getting used to.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
As for Fields struggles, I think people immensely underestimate the switch from aluminum to wood bats. Believe me, it takes some getting used to.

Agreed. Most prospects get to do a considerable amount of work with wood bats in various summer leagues etc etc. Fields didn't get that opportunity due to football.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:11 PM
WSI Regular

Default Lumsden

What's up with Lumsden. He missed his last start. What's up, is he being demoted or something. Also, why is Gio missing his start tonight
Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
What's up with Lumsden. He missed his last start. What's up, is he being demoted or something. Also, why is Gio missing his start tonight
Gio's not missing his start. He'll start tomorrow. Lucas Harrell will start tonight's game for Bristol.

I haven't heard anything about Lumsden, but it's not unusual for them to work a guy on the side and miss a start when they're trying to correct mechanical issues.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:07 PM
WSI Regular

Default Ryan Sweeney

What's the take on Sweeney. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball at Winston Salem since the CL All-Star game. Is he simply hot at the moment and proving he belongs in High A?, OR has he turned a developmental corner and taken his game to the next level? Either way, his overall showing this year boads well for the future. Only 19, playing all year for the first time, and skipping straight to High-A. That's pretty impressive isn't it? What is his ceiling and what kind of defense does he play? How fast will he move through the system? (Maybe AA next year)