White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2004, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Minor Musings

I just took a gander at the Charlotte Knights and noticed a few interesting things.

1. Who is Reggie Taylor? He came over from Louisville (Reds). Was he a PTBNL for Jimenez or Hummel? He was mediocre with the Bats but is hitting .379 in 29ABs with Charlotte.
2. Wilson Valdez is hitting even better in Charlotte (.337) than he did for high-altitude Albuquerque. Bryant Nelson also looks pretty impressive - he'd never been on my radar before.
3. Is Jonathan Aceves a real future catcher (hitting .300 after promotion from Birmingham) or just a flash in the pan?
4. Jon Rauch just got pummeled by Rochester (Twins) for 7ER in 2IP. Felix Diaz then pitched four scoreless innings. One ominous thing on the Rochester staff was Shannon Stewart. He must be on a full-fledged rehab assignment. If Stewart does for the Twins what he did last year, they will be a much tougher team.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod
I just took a gander at the Charlotte Knights and noticed a few interesting things.

1. Who is Reggie Taylor? He came over from Louisville (Reds). Was he a PTBNL for Jimenez or Hummel? He was mediocre with the Bats but is hitting .379 in 29ABs with Charlotte.
2. Wilson Valdez is hitting even better in Charlotte (.337) than he did for high-altitude Albuquerque. Bryant Nelson also looks pretty impressive - he'd never been on my radar before.
3. Is Jonathan Aceves a real future catcher (hitting .300 after promotion from Birmingham) or just a flash in the pan?
4. Jon Rauch just got pummeled by Rochester (Twins) for 7ER in 2IP. Felix Diaz then pitched four scoreless innings. One ominous thing on the Rochester staff was Shannon Stewart. He must be on a full-fledged rehab assignment. If Stewart does for the Twins what he did last year, they will be a much tougher team.
Reggie Taylor is a former first-round pick of the Phillies (and a Chicago native I believe.) He's been a fourth outfielder for the Reds and Phillies. He has a lot of athletic ability but never really became a good baseball player. He's older. Best case scenario in the majors, a bench player. Sox signed him as a free agent after trading Jeremy Reed. They needed a warm body. Right now, the entirety of the Charlotte roster is warm bodies. Not much in the way of real prospects.

Bryant Nelso is 30. He played in Japan last year.

Jonathon Acevas is an organizational player. He's been with the Sox for years.

Watched the Minnesota broadcast today. They're expecting Stewart back immediately after the break. But that may mean fewer at bats for Matt Lecroy and Lew Ford, who haven't been the problem for the Twins.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Taylor was released from Louisville (Cincy's AAA) June 30th. The Knights picked him up last week.

Quote:
2. Wilson Valdez is hitting even better in Charlotte (.337) than he did for high-altitude Albuquerque. Bryant Nelson also looks pretty impressive - he'd never been on my radar before..
Nelson is a 30 year old journeyman minor leaguer who had a cup of coffee with the Red Sox in '02 and played in Japan last year.
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

Gogol Bordello - "Ultimate"
Old 07-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, Valdez is tearing it up right now. He is mainly a singles guy with base stealing ability and a good glove. He was originally a Cubs farmhand, then Montreal, and then Florida last season. That's where Ozzie knows him from. You can see why Ozzie loves him so much; because he pretty much IS Ozzie. He is projected to be a utility infielder. I could definately see him backing up Uribe at SS next season if Valentin leaves to free agency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Watched the Minnesota broadcast today. They're expecting Stewart back immediately after the break. But that may mean fewer at bats for Matt Lecroy and Lew Ford, who haven't been the problem for the Twins.
The Twins are going to do the same thing with Stewart as we are doing with Maggs. They will continue to start Lew Ford in LF and Stewart as the DH. When Stewart gets 100% healthy, they will start him in LF and Ford as the DH. No way will they take Lew's bat out of the lineup after what he's done in the first half. Fat-Man LeCroy will go back to his role of backup C/1B and eating donuts in the dugout.

Remember, Stewart was the sparkplug for the Twins' offense last season. I hope the bastard reinjures himself.

Last edited by Aidan; 07-12-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Asceves is still a project as far as I can tell, his defense is still raw, as is his pitch calling.