Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2004, 06:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Great Start Freddy

That's what we expected of you! WTG - at USCF - to give up 3 in 6.2 IP - awesome. He will get a lot of wins if he keeps throwing like that. Keep your ERA at home at 4 or less - and you will be a star on the South Side for a long time to come!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:13 PM
WSI High Priest

He did a lot better than I thought he would, but it was still a very shaky start.

Better than what we had in his spot before, though. I'll suspend the Olivo sig for the time being.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
He did a lot better than I thought he would, but it was still a very shaky start.

Better than what we had in his spot before, though. I'll suspend the Olivo sig for the time being.
How was that start shaky? I don't agree with that. It was a great start.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21
How was that start shaky? I don't agree with that. It was a great start.
Actually, I think you're both wrong. It was somewhere in between.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Meh, it was alot closer to being a great one then a shakey one, though!

I win, Homefish owes me money!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Garcia game score was 56, not shaky but not dominate. It was his first quality start with the Sox. The seven K's with one walk is nice, Seatlle averaged 6.2 K's a game coming into today's game.
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawg_77
Garcia game score was 56, not shaky but not dominate. It was his first quality start with the Sox. The seven K's with one walk is nice, Seatlle averaged 6.2 K's a game coming into today's game.
Someone said it in another thread - the key with Freddy is a.) not leaving too many pitches up and b.) not walking a lot of people. So far, he's not walking a lot of people, but when he gets hit, it's usually on pitches up in the zone.

But I'll take 6 2/3, 3 runs any day, especially at our park. It wasn't a great outing, but it was a pretty good outing. I love the K's too, they showed a stat up on the scoreboard, IIRC, both Buehrle and Garcia are top ten in the AL in strikeouts.

And DD77. A few questions - what is 'game score', how is it determined, and what would be a 'dominant' game score as opposed to a 'shaky' game score?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

Garcia has pitched fairly well in his 3 games for the Sox...

1st game @ MIN
6 IP
4 ER
9 SO

2nd game vs. ANA
8 IP
4 ER
6 SO

3rd game vs. SEA
6 2/3 IP
3 ER
7 SO

If our offense picks up with Maggs and hopefully Borchard, we can afford to give up 3 or 4 runs and outscore our opponents. I love watching his delivery and I'm loving the strikeouts. However, whoever said that Freddy will give up the longball was right. In his 15 starts for Seattle this season he only gave up 8 HRs. He has given up 5 HRs in 3 starts for the White Sox so far.

Last edited by Aidan; 07-12-2004 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSGuy406
And DD77. A few questions - what is 'game score', how is it determined, and what would be a 'dominant' game score as opposed to a 'shaky' game score?
Game Score: Start with 50 points. Add 1 point for each out recorded, (3 points per inning). Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th. Add 1 point for each strikeout. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed. Subtract 1 point for each walk

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/bestgames

Game scores in the 70+ range would be dominate start imop.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Anybody who pitches in the Cell nowadays is going to give up the long ball. It's just something we need to get used to.

The way to combat this is to NOT WALK ANYBODY, work quickly and play good defense. The Sox did that against Seattle.

Now that Garcia is signed and has been performing well, I am on board with the deal after first nearly blowing my top. I'm not ready to eat crow yet, but will do so happily if the Sox make the playoffs.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Garcia has pitched fairly well in his 3 games for the Sox...

1st game @ MIN
6 IP
4 ER
9 SO

2nd game vs. ANA
8 IP
4 ER
6 SO

3rd game vs. SEA
6 2/3 IP
3 ER
7 SO

If our offense picks up with Maggs and hopefully Borchard, we can afford to give up 3 or 4 runs and outscore our opponents. I love watching his delivery and I'm loving the strikeouts. However, whoever said that Freddy will give up the longball was right. In his 15 starts for Seattle this season he only gave up 8 HRs. He has given up 5 HRs in 3 starts for the White Sox so far.
I think it was a good start. He has yet to pitch great for the Sox but he's 2-1, with some flashes of great. Compared to Schoenweiss's shaky starts and all the 5th starter crapiness, Freddy has been great. He is a great addition.
I love his delivery and the strikeouts too. I went Tuesday and saw the one game that he lost but was very impressed. He looks imposing on the mound. I like his mound presence.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 AM
WSI Regular

He needs to stop with the long ball. Thatís on the negative side of Freddy since he joined the White Sox. I also enjoy seeing the strikeouts (reminds me of the 2003 Loaiza) but he needs to stop throwing so many cookies.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Averaging 7 IP, 3.66 ER/G with 2 starts at USCF and 1 at the Homerdome? What more do people want from him? That's very effective pitching.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

bottom line...is it better than the starts from the 5th starters spot? um, i think so.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
Averaging 7 IP, 3.66 ER/G with 2 starts at USCF and 1 at the Homerdome? What more do people want from him? That's very effective pitching.
Run per game is meaningless stat used by someone trying to doctor the numbers for their case. To have any value form a number it needs to standard across the board. This was the reason ERA was invented.