White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:10 PM
enurb enurb is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 114
Default Why are we carrying 3 catchers?

Someone please justify having 3 catchers on the roster. Especially, since Ben Davis is one of them. He simply can't hit and does not have the speed to justify a roster spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a position player (who could pinch-hit, pinch-run, or spot-start) that we might actually use in a game instead of 3 plodding, slow, weak-hitting catchers.

With Frank out, Borchard should be up. If not a position player, then Rauch or Wunsch. Any of those options is better than having Ben Davis around.

This simply makes no sense whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
soxrme soxrme is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: northwest suburbs
Posts: 695
Default 3rd catcher

Probably because of Alomar, we really have 2 1/2 catchers. I agree, we can use someone else but they are hedging on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:23 PM
JRIG's Avatar
JRIG JRIG is offline
Happy Meal Prep
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 3,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxrme
Probably because of Alomar, we really have 2 1/2 catchers. I agree, we can use someone else but they are hedging on this one.
Because we're carrying Burke and Davis along with Alomar, we really only have about a 1/2 catcher.
__________________
"If there is any justice in the world, to be a Sox fan frees a man from any other form of penance." -- Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
TomParrish79 TomParrish79 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,137
Default

We definitely need some help in the catching department. I dont think Sandy can handle a load of catching duties.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
patbooyah patbooyah is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 2,215
Default

because JR is a nympho "pitcher" and needs to employ a rotation of "catchers."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
patbooyah patbooyah is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 2,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomParrish79
We definitely need some help in the catching department. I dont think Sandy can handle a load of catching duties.
im going to refrain from making the obvious JR "load" double entendre. or wait... is it too late?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2004, 03:02 PM
DaveIsHere DaveIsHere is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Joliet,IL
Posts: 3,886
Default



"I make the ^%&*in' lineup...or roster....or maybe jerry does, BUT YOU DONT!!!"
__________________

Sig professionally designed by WSI's own Michelle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
rmusacch rmusacch is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enurb
Someone please justify having 3 catchers on the roster. Especially, since Ben Davis is one of them. He simply can't hit and does not have the speed to justify a roster spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a position player (who could pinch-hit, pinch-run, or spot-start) that we might actually use in a game instead of 3 plodding, slow, weak-hitting catchers.

With Frank out, Borchard should be up. If not a position player, then Rauch or Wunsch. Any of those options is better than having Ben Davis around.

This simply makes no sense whatsoever.
Uh Wunsch is out for the season. I wish they would just cut ties with Alomar. Make him a coach or something.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
fhqwhgads fhqwhgads is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 398
Default

Twins are carrying 3 as well, and I don't know why. However, there was a nifty limerick someone came up with about the Twins' catching trio which you might appreciate:

ODE TO OUR CATCHING CREW
I hope to show forth in this ballade
why keeping three catchers is valid:
One's near thirty-five,
One just learned to drive,
And one needs to eat some more salad.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,147
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhqwhgads
Twins are carrying 3 as well, and I don't know why. However, there was a nifty limerick someone came up with about the Twins' catching trio which you might appreciate:

ODE TO OUR CATCHING CREW
I hope to show forth in this ballade
why keeping three catchers is valid:
One's near thirty-five,
One just learned to drive,
And one needs to eat some more salad.
That's surprising that the Twins would carry three catchers especially since Joe Mauer looks to be a stud. Only one backup is necessary, I've never been a fan of having 3 catchers in general. The only manager who loved it was Jerry Manuel and that is all you need to know that it isn't beneficial for the team.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-09-2004, 07:26 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default

Because Burke can play infield and outfield also. He can fill any position you need.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2004, 07:29 PM
JRIG's Avatar
JRIG JRIG is offline
Happy Meal Prep
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 3,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987
Because Burke can play infield and outfield also. He can fill any position you need.
...while playing below average defense and hitting like Royce Clayton-lite.

Sounds like just the guy for this team.


"Hey! I could do that too!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,181
Default

Jason Kendall, your table is ready...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 PM
ma-gaga's Avatar
ma-gaga ma-gaga is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Minny
Posts: 4,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You
That's surprising that the Twins would carry three catchers especially since Joe Mauer looks to be a stud. Only one backup is necessary, I've never been a fan of having 3 catchers in general. The only manager who loved it was Jerry Manuel and that is all you need to know that it isn't beneficial for the team.
Matthew LeCroy is a terrible catcher, but he hits the snot out of the ball. So he's also doubles as a DH. So really, they only have one backup catcher in Blanco, but LeCroy can fill in in a pinch.

Besides you don't give a rookie catcher 120 games, he'll kill himself.
__________________
I am not a GUN!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 PM
BlackAndWhite BlackAndWhite is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-gaga
So really, they only have one backup catcher in Blanco
Yeah, with the mighty .180 average. Boy, the Twinks better hope that Mauer doesn't get hurt again, because that would sure be a shame.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.