White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 11:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
The Sox have wasted millions of dollars and countless premium picks in recent years
Premium picks? Aren't we talking about the ONLY organization in baseball who hasn't drafted above #15 for the past 10 year?

Let's be honest, the Sox haven't had a chance to grab an elite prospect for a pretty long time.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Premium picks? Aren't we talking about the ONLY organization in baseball who hasn't drafted above #15 for the past 10 year?

Let's be honest, the Sox haven't had a chance to grab an elite prospect for a pretty long time.
People seem to forget the fact that the sox are always drafting 15,16,17,18, always around that area. I do think however that they got an elite prospect this year in Gio, imo it's just a matter of him staying healthy and if he does, the sox have a special prospect.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEO Magglio
People seem to forget the fact that the sox are always drafting 15,16,17,18, always around that area. I do think however that they got an elite prospect this year in Gio, imo it's just a matter of him staying healthy and if he does, the sox have a special prospect.
They also landed what might be an elite prospect in Sweeney last year...
Old 07-22-2004, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They also landed what might be an elite prospect in Sweeney last year...
Very true.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

In general our system is pretty much back-loaded (thin at AAA/AA and full at A and Adv A). Considering all of the mid/long term signings that we have I pretty much think that we're in good shape for the next 2 to 3 years (barring any catastrophic injuries).
Old 07-22-2004, 05:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
In general our system is pretty much back-loaded (thin at AAA/AA and full at A and Adv A). Considering all of the mid/long term signings that we have I pretty much think that we're in good shape for the next 2 to 3 years (barring any catastrophic injuries).
Good assessment. BA and the other publications usually base their rankings heavily on whats in AA and AAA, and of course the really high ceiling guys in A ball, but on the most part the Sox got relatively nothing on those levels.

Why some may ask, well they have had a lot of guys come up through the system (albeit, not as many recently) and develop into good major league players, while others got hurt, flopped, or were traded. The Sox system has been a lot better then some are giving credit for.

Afterall, Rowand, Crede, Buehrel, Lee, Cameron (Mike), Parque, Garland (I consider him a Sox prospect), Magglio, Olivo (part A's/part Sox) have all had at least some sort of positive effect on the club. Thats saying at least something for a farm system.

Now the system has been a little stale for a bit, but its ranked low because the talent is raw and in lower levels, but given a few years and I think the Sox will once again be one of the better farm systems. Now they may end up dealing evne more talent away, but that could just be the Sox philosphy, develop it to a point to get other valuable players.

However, I don't see how they have wasted money on picks and what not. They have gotten some pretty high ceiling guys, some have busted, others look like they could be pretty good...ie Sweeney and Anderson.

Plus I love the potential of a lot of the guys in the Kanny rotation, Bmac, Tracey, Gio, and others. So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Good assessment. BA and the other publications usually base their rankings heavily on whats in AA and AAA, and of course the really high ceiling guys in A ball, but on the most part the Sox got relatively nothing on those levels.

So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.
Also, I think that most have forgotten that we've lost 3 young, quality pitchers this year due to injury (Honel, Wing, and Malone). I very much doubt that any minor league system can fully recover from that kind of loss quickly.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Also, I think that most have forgotten that we've lost 3 young, quality pitchers this year due to injury (Honel, Wing, and Malone). I very much doubt that any minor league system can fully recover from that kind of loss quickly.
Especially Honel and Wing. So many people over looked Wing, but he has always matched Honels' numbers everywhere he went and I really liked his upside and future as a lefty.

I never saw whether Wing finally underwent surgery like was rumored, but I'll be glad if he can come back healthy. I have more doubts about Honel though, who I have always kind of doubted at least a bit as a prospect (just in terms of all the hype he got).

Malone wasn't much of a prospect for a while, but the raw ability is definately their. Upstairs though, their are question-marks to say the least.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Plus I love the potential of a lot of the guys in the Kanny rotation, Bmac, Tracey, Gio, and others. So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.
Perspective here, Gonzalez is going to have to throw at least 375 minor league innings before he gets to the big leagues. McCarthy and Tracey will have to throw around 225 innings. Too many things can go wrong in that time, that's why lower level pitching prospects being treated with skepticism is much deserved.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Perspective here, Gonzalez is going to have to throw at least 375 minor league innings before he gets to the big leagues. McCarthy and Tracey will have to throw around 225 innings. Too many things can go wrong in that time, that's why lower level pitching prospects being treated with skepticism is much deserved.
Oh I fully agree about that. I have on flaw what so ever in being a sceptic when it comes to lower level pitching. However, sometimes you can see indicators, statistically to show a guy can move up through the systems quickly. I usually look at WHIP and I believe guys with good control that strikeout a lot of people can really cruise through the systems.

Tracey doesn't have great control, but the guy is fairly new to pitching and has a good arm with a lot of life to his pitches while McCarthy just has tremendous control, 3 good pitches, and I fully believe the ability to potentially get as high as 95 MPH as his body continues to fill out. He's up to about 200 pounds now, but I think he could easily hit the 220 area. He's also the tallest pitcher in the system or so I think.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It should not be a shock though that pitchers got hurt. This should be accounted for in White Sox draft strategy. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oh I fully agree about that. I have on flaw what so ever in being a sceptic when it comes to lower level pitching. However, sometimes you can see indicators, statistically to show a guy can move up through the systems quickly. I usually look at WHIP and I believe guys with good control that strikeout a lot of people can really cruise through the systems.
Personally I worry about injuries in the young guys coming up through the system. You never know what you're going to get out of 19-20 year old kids.

But in Brandon's case he has pretty much made it though about 300 minor league innings with relatively zero injuries. That's a good sign.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Personally I worry about injuries in the young guys coming up through the system. You never know what you're going to get out of 19-20 year old kids.

But in Brandon's case he has pretty much made it though about 300 minor league innings with relatively zero injuries. That's a good sign.
Ya, you always have to worry about injuries. I really hope Brandon can stay healthy. Its rare to see a guy who could turn into a power pitcher, with his type of control. I think he's got the potential to be really good and it helps that he's off the radar in a sense.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It should not be a shock though that pitchers got hurt. This should be accounted for in White Sox draft strategy. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be.
True drafting high schoolers can be a crapshoot, but injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. Look at Wyatt Allen, Jon Rauch, Rocky Biddle, and Danny Wright for examples. College pitchers that all ran into shoulder and elbow problems.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ya, you always have to worry about injuries. I really hope Brandon can stay healthy. Its rare to see a guy who could turn into a power pitcher, with his type of control. I think he's got the potential to be really good and it helps that he's off the radar in a sense.
His style/size kind of reminds me of a younger Black Jack. I doubt he'll be able to stay off the radar for long.