White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
No, the thread became usless the instant you 2 started bickering like little school girls. I for one would have liked to have read an interesting thread about one of our recent draftees.
My bad, I jumped straight to the last quote, I didn't read all the bickering. And just so you know, I wasn't bickering. I was asking. The OTHER 2 were bickering.

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Old 07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
My bad, I jumped straight to the last quote, I didn't read all the bickering. And just so you know, I wasn't bickering. I was asking. The OTHER 2 were bickering.
No big deal, I think we both agree that the bickering is annoying.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?
That his mechanics are similar to Prior's, plain & simple.

Click on this link and watch the video of Whisler.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/dr...sc=team&sp=cha

His wind-up and delivery are very simialar to Prior's.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
That his mechanics are similar to Prior's, plain & simple.

Click on this link and watch the video of Whisler.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/dr...sc=team&sp=cha

His wind-up and delivery are very simialar to Prior's.
No, tool-boy can't make a connection between meechanics and actual abiilitty.

God forbid anyone talk about prospects, let alone give a scouting report on the guy...

how about this: if people can't read about prospects without firing off pithy and infantile pessimistic snips, then don't read about it.

Not directed at you Fungo, I'm just tired of the people that have a need to be disruptive for the sake of it.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:43 PM
WSI Personality

Watched Wes pitch last night. He's got a long ways to go, but you can see some raw potential their. The Sox are definately working with him on some things.

Also, he doesn't throw a curve. Its almost exclusively Fastball-Slider with an ocassional change plus the splitter he is developing.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Watched Wes pitch last night. He's got a long ways to go, but you can see some raw potential their. The Sox are definately working with him on some things.

Also, he doesn't throw a curve. Its almost exclusively Fastball-Slider with an ocassional change plus the splitter he is developing.
I haven't paid attention in a week or so, but it looks like his overall pitching numbers are improving. That's a good sign I guess. If the guy has a decent arm, good mechanics, and if he's a good kid, I see no reason why he won't continue to improve.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.
I don't disagree, and for the record, the only comparison I made to Prior was purely in his delivery and mechanics. I also stated that his release point floats around and he's inconsistent with his command. Someone asked for a description, and one of the best ways to do that is to comnpare parts of a player's game to a well-known player. I tried to add the caveats so people wouldn't go nuts on me, but it didn't stop them.

The short of things: He has the physical ability to do either, IMO, he probably has better potential as a pitcher, and should concentrate on it, but I don't mind him DH'ing in his first partial season to allow the Sox' staff to get a better look at him. IMO, both his development as a hitter and a pitcher has been retarded by trying to do both at such a high level. Hopefully they have him settled into one role next year.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!
Would you honestly rather have Whisler than Syzmanski? Says a lot . . .
Old 07-21-2004, 11:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Would you honestly rather have Whisler than Syzmanski? Says a lot . . .
In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential.
I was as high on Syzmanski as anyone, but I also wanted pitching and guys with high ceilings. The Sox liked what they saw in Whisler and he fell to them. The Sox probably would of taken B.J. but it came down to the fact that all the guys they liked kept coming to them and they weren't going to pass them up. I wouldn't either, they get paid the money to scout and these were the guys they liked.

From what I've heard the Sox were incredibly excited about the way this years draft worked out and I gotta admit, while I would of liked a few different people at certain slots, I think this draft has the potential to be one awesome draft.

I'll say one thing about Whisler, he has the body to be an ace and I think as he gets his mechanics down you'll see his velocity go up just a bit. But he's working on a splitter and he alreayd has a good amount of pitches, good ones at that, so with work, he's got the shot to be pretty good.

I love the fact that it appears he really has the body to hold up as a workhorse type pitcher, although it may be early for me to say it. On the other hand Gio has amazing stuff, but with his stature, you can't help but wonder how he'll hold up.

I love the fact that he has a good fastball and what I'd consider an awesome curve and a good to very good changeup. Its rare to see a high schooler with 3 good pitches.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

On the one hand you discount Syzmanski, saying he only had half a great college season. (Whisler's college career was less than sterling.) On the other, you're trumpeting Whisler based on 23 innings in A-ball. I don't understand it.

As far as system depth goes, what does it really matter? The Sox have wasted millions of dollars and countless premium picks in recent years building up the system's pitching depth and have Carl Everett to show for it. That does not cut it. Their track record says they either cannot identify pitching prospects or keep them healthy. It's silly to continually employ a failed strategy, right?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I was as high on Syzmanski as anyone, but I also wanted pitching and guys with high ceilings. The Sox liked what they saw in Whisler and he fell to them. The Sox probably would of taken B.J. but it came down to the fact that all the guys they liked kept coming to them and they weren't going to pass them up. I wouldn't either, they get paid the money to scout and these were the guys they liked.

From what I've heard the Sox were incredibly excited about the way this years draft worked out and I gotta admit, while I would of liked a few different people at certain slots, I think this draft has the potential to be one awesome draft.

I'll say one thing about Whisler, he has the body to be an ace and I think as he gets his mechanics down you'll see his velocity go up just a bit. But he's working on a splitter and he alreayd has a good amount of pitches, good ones at that, so with work, he's got the shot to be pretty good.

I love the fact that it appears he really has the body to hold up as a workhorse type pitcher, although it may be early for me to say it. On the other hand Gio has amazing stuff, but with his stature, you can't help but wonder how he'll hold up.

I love the fact that he has a good fastball and what I'd consider an awesome curve and a good to very good changeup. Its rare to see a high schooler with 3 good pitches.
Gio's got a chance to be special but like you said the scary part with him is staying healthy. From your description of Wes it sounds like he's got a chance to be pretty good too, I know Syzmanski is supposed to be the best overall athlete in the draft but I believe Wes has an era around 2 and a half so far, so lets give him a shot before we declare that a bad pick.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Yep. One other thing the Sox have been looking for recently is low-mileage arms as well, and Whisler has that. He definitely needs polish and refinement, but hopefully that comes with experience.