Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
WSI Regular

Default Question for Sox fans in Chicago...

Someone on another board is swearing up and down(scrub fan btw), that all over Chicago radio, Mags said today that contract talks are over from his side of things...

I live up in cheese land, so I don't know what's being said on the air waves down there...I'm sure someone here would of said something here if it was true...

I just thought i'd double check, so, any truth to this rumor???
Old 07-06-2004, 08:26 PM
dcb33

George Hoffman on the Score interviewed Maggs earlier today and he said that they had broken off contract talks today.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb33
George Hoffman on the Score interviewed Maggs earlier today and he said that they had broken off contract talks today.

Ah so it is true, DAMN!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Ken Williams was on both ESPN-1000 and The Score today saying they were still talking. Believe whom you will.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 PM
WSI Personality

If contract talks have indeed ended let's hope the rumor of Ordonez and Rauch or Diaz to the Baves for Andruw Jones and Ortiz happens ASAP.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:09 PM
WSI Regular

I still don't get why Atlanta would do that, giving up Jones AND Ortiz for Mags??? Where's that get them??? They won't resign Mag's, so in retrospect, they just gave the Sox Jones and Ortiz, to rent Mags for half a year...

Did Offerman/Hoffman, whatever his name is, repeat that Mags said that or did you actualy hear Mags say that???
Old 07-06-2004, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyBear
I still don't get why Atlanta would do that, giving up Jones AND Ortiz for Mags??? Where's that get them??? They won't resign Mag's, so in retrospect, they just gave the Sox Jones and Ortiz, to rent Mags for half a year...

Did Offerman/Hoffman, whatever his name is, repeat that Mags said that or did you actualy hear Mags say that???
They had a sound bite from Maggs where they eventually asked him "so as of today, you're not talking anymore", and he said "yes".

As for the Braves deal, the incentive for the Braves is to get out from under Jones large, multiyear deal (IIRC, something like $13mil/yr for 3 years).
Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
They had a sound bite from Maggs where they eventually asked him "so as of today, you're not talking anymore", and he said "yes".

As for the Braves deal, the incentive for the Braves is to get out from under Jones large, multiyear deal (IIRC, something like $13mil/yr for 3 years).
Ok, damn, thanx man...Hopefuly that's just a ruse or some clever sound editing...

I can see the Braves doing that for a salary dump, but don't teams usualy get prospects in exchange, not someone who'll be gone in half a year???
Old 07-07-2004, 01:57 AM
WSI Guru

Bob Foltman in the Tribune has a story on it quoting Maggs as saying the two sides have stopped talking.

Someone (either Maggs or Williams) is either lying or distorting the truth because what they are saying contradicts each other.

Lip
Old 07-07-2004, 02:04 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Bob Foltman in the Tribune has a story on it quoting Maggs as saying the two sides have stopped talking.

Someone (either Maggs or Williams) is either lying or distorting the truth because what they are saying contradicts each other.
Contradictions have been the rule throughout this entire process. I sort of wonder if the inconsistencies have something to do with Magglio not being used to speaking to the media. Until these negotiations became a hot topic, you've almost never saw him quoted in the papers. Now, the media are coming at him every day, and I just wonder if he's saying whatever in an attempt to get people off his back.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:08 AM
WSI Regular

Icon9 its true - link to this:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA..._cws&fext=.jsp

Old 07-07-2004, 02:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
If contract talks have indeed ended let's hope the rumor of Ordonez and Rauch or Diaz to the Baves for Andruw Jones and Ortiz happens ASAP.
NO!! There have to be better deals out there. Jones's career is downsliding. While still the best defensively, his bat is limp. Why pay $13 mil for him when you can have Maggs for $14? Also, Russ Ortiz isnt a particularly good pitcher, he has always had the benefit of great run support. Dont deal Maggs unless you can get something more than these two. We need Magglio if we are going to wing a championship this year. Getting another all or nothing, swinging for the fences hitter and a mediocre pitcher doesnt make up for the much needed bat that Ordoņez brings.