White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Jeter's amazing CRASH

Anyone see the play Jeter made??? wow!!!!! He went flying into the stands head first and came out with blood on his face. He caught the ball in the field but the momentum forced him into the stands. It was a huge play in the game that lead to a Yankees' sweep over the Red Sox. you can see the play on mlb.com

Last edited by ChiWhiteSox1337; 07-04-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 PM
MMXXIII

It was a good grab, not great... He had it firmly in hand when he went into the stands, but it shows you why Jeter is Cooperstown-bound... The man is a gamer.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Banned

Pokey Reeses was better. But it was still a good catch
Old 07-02-2004, 12:34 AM
WSI Personality

it was a good catch, he just was running at top speed so there was no way to stop.

it was like the light was yellow, and he knew he had to stop, but he was just going too damn fast and he said "what the hell, at least no cops are around" so he took it...and he paid the price.

and i rambled too much.

but yeah...that's a ball player right there.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:02 AM
WSI Personality

The whole game was amazing.

Reese's catch was better than Jeter's, but Jeter's play was bigger, starting in foul territory and saving a run in extra innings. And Jeter took much more bodily damage and didn't care at all what might happen to him as he dove into the stands.

Although the whole game had marvelous defensive outs, Jeter's play is one of the best defensive gems of the season.
And nobody knows what it's really like / But everyone says it's great / And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes / ... / And nobody knows what it's really like / But everyone says it's great / And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes /.../ The spiraling shape will make you go insane / But everyone wants to see that groovy thing /.../ Don't spend the rest of your life wondering / (Everyone wants to see that thing) - They Might Be Giants from Factory Showroom
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Anyone remember the play he made to throw out Jeremy Giambi in the 2001 ALDS after Shane Spencer inexplicably missed the cut off man??
Old 07-02-2004, 11:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70
Anyone remember the play he made to throw out Jeremy Giambi in the 2001 ALDS after Shane Spencer inexplicably missed the cut off man??
Oh yeah the play where Jeremy Giambi was safe but they called him out? Yeah I remember that.
You've been THUNDERSTRUCK
Yeah yeah yeah THUNDERSTRUCK
-ACDC
Old 07-03-2004, 05:22 PM
WSI Personality

Post No. 2

Jeter's a gamer and all that, but he isn't even the best shortstop on the Yankers. I think he could have stopped before he went into the stands. Very theatrical though.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Banned

The look on Jeter's face as he came out of the stands said "I'm being falsely modest, but I sure hope no one noticed that I could have pulled up, because that play sure cements my legend."

Feh.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that play was tremendously overrated. The best catch of all time? Ha! It wasn't even the best catch in that game! I said the day after that if Jose Valentin makes that play, it's not even a "Web Gem" or a "Top Play." But since it was Derek Jeter, it's the greatest catch ever. Please. He could have done a much better job of slowing down. No, he may not have stopped short of the stands, but he didn't have to lay out. At the worst he should down nothing more than tip into the stands. Anyone remember Ryan Freel's play earlier this season? He dove into the stands in an effort to catch a ball and was chastised for it because his shoe struck an old woman in the face. But Jeter is a hero because he chose not to try to stop and instead glorified his catch.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:48 PM
WSI Regular

oh come on. you don't have to like Jeter, but you can't deny he's plays hard every single day he's out there, and leaves it all on the field. To think that someone would actually dive into the stands and cut up their face just to make a catch look better is ludicrous. He obviously had an incredible amount of momentum when he caught the ball and instead of being torso-closelined he was forced to dive over the small wall.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac5001
oh come on. you don't have to like Jeter, but you can't deny he's plays hard every single day he's out there, and leaves it all on the field. To think that someone would actually dive into the stands and cut up their face just to make a catch look better is ludicrous. He obviously had an incredible amount of momentum when he caught the ball and instead of being torso-closelined he was forced to dive over the small wall.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:27 AM
WSI Personality

Jeter did what just about every little leaguer does, make a routine catch, then fall down even though they dont need to just to make it look more dramatic. Very childish and overrated. Its not like he dove into the stands to make the catch, he caught it, then dove into the stands. If he was running into the outfield to make the catch and there was nothing in front of him, no one would be talking about the great catch.