White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Default time to dump the all-star fan voting

Looking just at the AL 1st base voting: Thomas is the only guy in the top 5 over .280. One at .270 and the rest in .220-.240 range with avg power numbers as well.

Giambi with 2X the votes of #2 Hurt is at a dismal .237 well under 200 AB. Thomas is arguably the only one deserving to even be included in the top 5, with Delgado and Palmeiro also having pathetic years so far and Millar at best as average .270 hitter these days.

Meanwhile, not even listed in the voting top lists are David Ortiz and Ken Harvey (.328BA), both having great years so far, with Ortiz putting up monster numbers: 300+AB, 20HR, .304BA, 73RBI, 41R. Neither one is even remotely close to being listed

These results indicate the fan voting experiment should be over, as the results are not even close to identifying the true 2004 all-stars. Its getting worse every year, well at least years in which Bud "would you buy a used car from this guy" Selig doesn't end the game early.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:49 PM
WSI Regular

I concur. Given that the All-Star game determines homefield advantage, hence it means something serious, then letting the fans vote (on poularity!) is an outrage. Sosa is in and he was hurt for a long period of time as an example. You are suposed to field the best team BASED on this year's stats--not on emotional ties to an idol you worship. Not to mention that teams playing i larger markets, like the Yankees, will obviously get more votes for their players than smaller market teams' players. Either they need to change the All-Star game as determining the homefield advantage, or they need to stop fan voting. Both can't coexist justly.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
WSI Regular

agreed

yeah i couldn't agree more guys. i was gonna start a thread on this topic myself. i hearf nomar was the leading vote getter about a week ago and i almost had a grabber. he shouldn't even be on the ballot. its a popularity contest for the most part and the really desrving players always get screwed.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fan voting is a joke. Its nothing but a popularity contest and everyone knows it. Its ashame its come to this. I don't even care to watch the allstar game anymore because of it.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:00 AM
MMXXIII

I think the fan voting should still be taken into consideration. For instance, maybe the fans can vote in 5 or so players to definitely make the team or something like that, but I agree with everyone; now that the All-Star Game means need something players and media need to have a bigger say.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 07-01-2004, 01:29 AM
WSI Personality

I agree- but Konerko is the All-Star first baseman on the White Sox
Old 07-01-2004, 07:22 AM
WSI High Priest

With the All-Star game deciding home-field advantage, this rewards the league with the smarter fans. Personally, I like this system, even if it will take a while for anyone to take advantage.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-01-2004, 07:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
With the All-Star game deciding home-field advantage, this rewards the league with the smarter fans. Personally, I like this system, even if it will take a while for anyone to take advantage.
I guess the NL has the smarter fans because IMO, other than the NL SS and ShamME*, there isn't anything that I could really disagree with. The AL on the other hand.....
Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
WSI High Priest

The Yankees are 49-26, the best record in baseball. We're going to be just fine at the All-Star Game.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:10 AM
WSI Regular

all-star game fan voting should be taken away for the simple fact that the 2 first basemen for the AL should be Frank and PK. that giambi is the leading vote getter just shows you why there should be no fan voting. and if fan voting does work, how is nomar the leading vote getter for AL shortstops when he has played less then 12 or 13 games? just curious... the only worse then fan voting for the all-star game, is that the damn game counts for something, and for something as important as home field advantage in the WORLD SERIES!!! you gotta be kidding me if you think that an all-star game should determine something like that.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't know Giambi is tied for the league lead in Paracites with Kevin Brown!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:48 AM
WSI Personality

You want a fair way to choose the All-Stars? Take the combined stats from after last year's game and add the first half stats for this year's. You get your starting line-up this way.

The fans can vote for the alternates. Pick three players who belong, and only three. Suffice to say, you give the fans a choice at every position, they're going to just pick big names or guys they heard of at 2B or C. Three choices won't cause the voting to be so one-sided towards fan favorites. If you're injured for over half the current season, don't expect to be picked.

Another thing to improve the selection process; let only the deserving players in. I could care less if Montreal, Kansas City or some other small market is represented. If they don't have a player worthy of appearing, they shouldn't be there. The NFL doesn't go by this honor system; how many years have the Bears been shut out of the Pro Bowl? (Answer: They were Pro-less 4 straight years at one stretch.)
Old 07-02-2004, 12:21 PM
WSI Guru

Fans have no business voting period. Remember this started back in the 50's. Reds fans flooded the ballot boxes and got seven of their guys named as starters.

The Comissioner of baseball at that time (Ford Frick?) refused to allow that to happen and changed the results by naming alternative (more deserving starters) That led directly to the fans losing the vote until it was returned I think in 1969.

If fans must vote then it should be just like in a political election (outside of Chicago of course! LOL) one fan...one vote...period. None of this 'vote 25 times...' That pure BS.

Personally it should go back to the way it was before the late 60's, the writers, players and managers get to vote and that's all folks.

Lip