White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 10:52 PM
New At WSI

Default Sox urgency because of cubs?

As much as the two teams in this city pretend that the other is not a factor in each team's success- How much of KW's urgency might be due to the bloated optimism of the cubs current season?

With all of the peaked interest and buzz in the baseball season this year, I think JR might actually see an opportunity to create something big. If the Sox can pull off a divisional victory and go deep into the playoffs, or possibly the WS, recruiting more fans (profit) would be inevitable.

I think the media's sway toward the cub and their overall popularity can actually be a benefit to the White Sox orginization. Just imagine, after the biggest buildup of cub optimism since the mid 80's, and the Sox storm into the playoffs with their cuddly counterparts left behind.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but JR's reaped the rewards of a championship team before. Am I just being naive?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugfish
As much as the two teams in this city pretend that the other is not a factor in each team's success- How much of KW's urgency might be due to the bloated optimism of the cubs current season?

With all of the peaked interest and buzz in the baseball season this year, I think JR might actually see an opportunity to create something big. If the Sox can pull off a divisional victory and go deep into the playoffs, or possibly the WS, recruiting more fans (profit) would be inevitable.

I think the media's sway toward the cub and their overall popularity can actually be a benefit to the White Sox orginization. Just imagine, after the biggest buildup of cub optimism since the mid 80's, and the Sox storm into the playoffs with their cuddly counterparts left behind.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but JR's reaped the rewards of a championship team before. Am I just being naive?
I've had the sneaking suspicion that was the case since Rob Gallas was fired. He represents the old stand-pat mode we've been in for over a decade now.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 PM
MMXXIII

It's an interesting theory, but KW has proved time and time again that he's willing to sacrifice a portion of the future to take a shot at now if that possibility is out there. I think the real urgency for the Sox is because we've been waiting for like 80 years to win a championship.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
It's an interesting theory, but KW has proved time and time again that he's willing to sacrifice a portion of the future to take a shot at now if that possibility is out there. I think the real urgency for the Sox is because we've been waiting for like 80 years to win a championship.
Yeah, but why did KW manage to convince Uncle Jer to open the pursestrings this year?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:33 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
Yeah, but why did KW manage to convince Uncle Jer to open the pursestrings this year?
Ozzie seems to be pretty persuasive. i.e. Freddy Garcia
Old 06-29-2004, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

how great would that be, in the FLubs fell apart and the Sox won it all, I can still hear the cub fans saying how much better they are and that our park sucks

Sig professionally designed by WSI's own Michelle
Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
At least JR opened them at all... can you imagine what it would be like if Bill Wirtz owned the team?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfish
At least JR opened them at all... can you imagine what it would be like if Bill Wirtz owned the team?
Yeah there would be a lock out... Oh wait Jerry already pulled that one a couple years back! Here's my theroy...
1.) Why would you ALL OF A SUDDEN want to open the purse strings a little? to bring fans into a park.

2.) Why do most of the Contracts and stadium rennovations end with in the next few years?

3.) Why mortgage the future to win now, changing about 2 decades of mentality?

Because it's easier to sell a playoff caliber team with a packed newly revamped and under rated stadium and no long term high priced contracts in the 3rd largest market in the US... Jerry are you looking to Pump and Dump?

How much would a team with with all these charicteristics be worth to a man who is late in his life with a Board that has been wanting to get out for years? I'm guessing it would be worth more than the 10 Million they paid for it... I don't see his son having anything to do with the team and the Bulls appear to be something that might be easier ot maintain....

Is there a for sale sign in the front yard of 35th and shields?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Brooks Boyer

Quote:
I've had the sneaking suspicion that was the case since Rob Gallas was fired. He represents the old stand-pat mode we've been in for over a decade now.
I was at the games on Friday and Saturday and on Saturday I ran into a friend on the concourse that works in the White Sox front offices. I told her how happy we were with Brooks Boyer and asked her if she visits WSI. She wasn't aware of this site but she said she was going straight up to her office to check WSI out and she was also going to stop by Mr. Boyer's office and tell him about WSI too.

I know a pile of us have already emailed Mr. Boyer and he was probably already aware of WSI. If he wasn't before, he surely is now.
And I could fly above beyond the forest
And join all the eagles, join my swift companions.

******* Epic Poems

Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
WSI Guru

When you continue to lose market shares and interest to the Cubs every year you better start being concerned about what the other club is doing and start reacting.

Uncle Jerry says he doesn't care about the Cubs (i.e. his radio comments that Chicago has always been a Cubs town...) but his actions tend to say other wise.

Case in point. The 1998 Sox picnic for season ticket holders. JR showed up at the end, thanks the fans for coming, then put on a Braves hat and told the attendees to go home and root for the Braves. (Who just happened to be playing the Cubs in the NLDS...)

Like seemingly everything else with the man, he is a series on contradictions.

Lip