White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Who has the best 2 rotations in the American League

And specifically, once the playoffs start and teams go to 4 man rotations, then who is best?

NYY - Mussina, Vazquez, Brown (DL), Lieber, Contreras
Boston - Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wakefield, Aroyo
Minnesota - Radke, Santana, Lhose, Silva, Guerrier
Sox - Loaiza, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Rauch
Oakland - Zito, Mulder, Hudson (DL), Harden, Redman
Anaheim - Colon, Escobar, Washburn, Lackey, Sele

I'd say Oakland is #1 both now as a 5 man (with Hudson healthy in a few weeks) and once they go to a 4 man rotation, even though Zito has been a mess all year. I'd say the Sox are next best, possibly tied with the Yanks. Boston may have the best 1/2, but they are soft after that. Minny is weak after #3. Anaheim is in real trouble with how bad Colon has been all year.

Given that we know our offense can bang with anyone out there, this rotation is also now as good as anyone (except Oakland) in the AL. This team is now built to win - this year. And the great thing is - since Seattle sent us money this year in the Garcia deal, we are clearly not done spending.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:32 PM
WSI Regular

How much money did Seattle throw into the deal? Anybody know?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo-Sox-er
How much money did Seattle throw into the deal? Anybody know?
I saw a report somehwere that they basically picked up Ben davis contract. Not a lot of benefit there financially.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

My understanding is that Seattle threw in about $700K to cover the remaining costs of Ben Davis' contract. It's not like they are sending over $6M......
Old 06-28-2004, 12:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
And specifically, once the playoffs start and teams go to 4 man rotations, then who is best?

I'd say Oakland is #1 both now as a 5 man (with Hudson healthy in a few weeks) and once they go to a 4 man rotation, even though Zito has been a mess all year. I'd say the Sox are next best, possibly tied with the Yanks. Boston may have the best 1/2, but they are soft after that. Minny is weak after #3. Anaheim is in real trouble with how bad Colon has been all year.

Given that we know our offense can bang with anyone out there, this rotation is also now as good as anyone (except Oakland) in the AL. This team is now built to win - this year. And the great thing is - since Seattle sent us money this year in the Garcia deal, we are clearly not done spending.
Right now I would say the White Sox have the best rotation especially when Schoenweis is healthy again. Oakland and the Yankees are pretty close too though. Contreras has one good game and he is suddenly the greatest pitcher ever? I don't think so. He might turn it around for the rest of the season but that remains to be seen. One thing is for sure, the White Sox are in good shape as far as starting pitching goes!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

let's not go too overboard. We have the most bipolar rotation in baseball.

Sure, when our top guys are on their game they're studs, but they have some appallingly bad stretches.

I like our rotation though a lot. throw in another big time starter (ortiz) and we would have hands down the best, but right now, i'd take the a's, the angels and probably the red sox or yankees over us, though they all have their weaknesses as well.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Reg and Playoffs Season

A's
Yank
Boston - The Sox' are close together, but their top is better then our top so they get the nod.
Sox
Angles
Twins.
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Banned

I'd say we are a solid 3rd. But what is scary is facing the Angels' starters head-to-head. Sele and Lackey both own the Sox...

Go Rangers!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149
let's not go too overboard. We have the most bipolar rotation in baseball.

Sure, when our top guys are on their game they're studs, but they have some appallingly bad stretches.
I think that goes for any rotation in baseball, not just to ours. Every team, rotation, lineup, etc. is going to have rough spells.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak
Sele and Lackey both own the Sox...
I'll give you Sele, but we beat the snot out of Lackey last time he was here.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
dont count out schoenweis. he's already proved he can pitch well this season, and hopefully after his stint on the DL he can be solid at the end of that rotation.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
I'll give you Sele, but we beat the snot out of Lackey last time he was here.
Then what the hell was I thinking?????

Old 06-28-2004, 01:35 PM
WSI Personality

Playoff wise, I think I would take my chances with Pedro and Schilling. Two great starters can win you the world series, just look at what Schilling and Johnson did.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomParrish79
Playoff wise, I think I would take my chances with Pedro and Schilling. Two great starters can win you the world series, just look at what Schilling and Johnson did.
Assuming you need a 4 man rotation, I'd take our 4 as tied with, or better than any 4 in the AL except Oakland. And given that Zito has sucked and Hudson is hurt, it isn't by such a large margin.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd say we're 5th. Loaiza really isn't the pitcher from last year. Garland hasn't developed like I thought he would. Shchoney hasn't really proven anything.