White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 10:56 AM
WSI Regular

Default is it cheap to be a cub fan?

Just a thought but one of the things that Cub fans like to trumpet is how "everybody is a Cubs fan" Fair enough. But doesnt that cheapen the experience of being a Cubs fans. THe Sox have nowhere near the national following as the Cubs which is why I think it is great to be a Sox fan. Sox fans have this bond among one another that I dont think exists in Cubdom specifically because there are too many of them.
What is unique about being a Cub fan if they are a dime a dozen. Its sort of like when the Bulls began their championship run, I was a follower of that team when they were getting swept in the first round of the playoffs and MJ was their only star. Once they became global, it meant nothing.
Take for instance, after yesterdays game, Sox fans high fiving total strangers. DOe sthat happen among Cub fans? Maybe, but there is something empty behind it because, again, there is really no sacrifice being part of a movement that is nationally loved.
And the sadder thing is that national following is based solely on pity. There is no other reason why they have that big of a following. Again, it cheapens the whole experience.
Bottom line, plenty of Cub fans, empty feeling. Not many Sox fans, bigger meaning.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Us Sox fans are fickle. We bi*ch and moan about not getting PR, then pride ourselves on being the unheralded "counterculture".If we had one, we couldn't have the other. Being a scrub fan is WAY too easy. Sox fans are far from comon, making us ultimate COOL!

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 06-27-2004, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

Cub fans are a dime a dozen.

Sox fans, being rare, are precious.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would agree that there is a stronger bond between Sox fans. There would have to be to fight the Cub plague. I know that whenever I see a fellow Sox fan on the North Shore that I "hey" and they're happy to see another Sox fan and we'll talk for a sec.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
I would agree that there is a stronger bond between Sox fans. There would have to be to fight the Cub plague. I know that whenever I see a fellow Sox fan on the North Shore that I "hey" and they're happy to see another Sox fan and we'll talk for a sec.
Out of curiosity, is this Tim Kazurinsky from SNL? Just asking because I know he lives in Evanston and is a BIG Sox fan
Old 06-29-2004, 12:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32nd&Wallace
Out of curiosity, is this Tim Kazurinsky from SNL? Just asking because I know he lives in Evanston and is a BIG Sox fan
And don't forget Police Academy 3 AND 4!

Sorry, no. I'm not even remotely famous and I'm a bit young to be Tim.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Banned

It's not cheap to be a Cubs fan, just stupid and shows a lack of independent thought.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill
Us Sox fans are fickle. We bi*ch and moan about not getting PR, then pride ourselves on being the unheralded "counterculture".If we had one, we couldn't have the other. Being a scrub fan is WAY too easy. Sox fans are far from comon, making us ultimate COOL!
Butt wad Billy Corrigan (AKA Uncle Fester from "The Addams Family") claims Sox fans take games too seriously.A sCrUBS fan has no idea what it's like to wait 87 years for a championship,I guess.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

My favorite baseball team is the White Sox.
My favorite musician is Elvis Costello.
My favorite film director is John Cassavetes.
I'm Serbian.

If I weren't being completely ignored, undervalued, or getting my teeth kicked in by someone, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Let's hear it for the underdogs!
And I could fly above beyond the forest
And join all the eagles, join my swift companions.

******* Epic Poems

Old 06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
WSI Regular

Cheap?? To be a Cubs fan??

Do you know the price of a vintage Ernie Banks Jersey that matches Abercrombie faded denim? Do you know how much a manicure/pedicure treatment costs these days? I'm not even going to mention the digital camera phone for "spottin' hotties" during home games!!

Cheap?!? It takes a damn fortune! Luckily, my dad totally owns a dealership.

So, maybe I misunderstood the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist
My favorite baseball team is the White Sox.
My favorite musician is Elvis Costello.
And that makes two of us.

'Stache rides again.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
WSI Personality

Oh dont you guys worry. When we are in the playoffs this october there will be PLENTY of white sox fans. In fact you will prolly see more sox fans than cub fans at that time. It just goes to show you that many many people are bandwagon fans.

But all of you and I know who the true sox fans are!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32nd&Wallace
Just a thought but one of the things that Cub fans like to trumpet is how "everybody is a Cubs fan" Fair enough. But doesnt that cheapen the experience of being a Cubs fans. THe Sox have nowhere near the national following as the Cubs which is why I think it is great to be a Sox fan. Sox fans have this bond among one another that I dont think exists in Cubdom specifically because there are too many of them.
What is unique about being a Cub fan if they are a dime a dozen. Its sort of like when the Bulls began their championship run, I was a follower of that team when they were getting swept in the first round of the playoffs and MJ was their only star. Once they became global, it meant nothing.
Take for instance, after yesterdays game, Sox fans high fiving total strangers. DOe sthat happen among Cub fans? Maybe, but there is something empty behind it because, again, there is really no sacrifice being part of a movement that is nationally loved.
And the sadder thing is that national following is based solely on pity. There is no other reason why they have that big of a following. Again, it cheapens the whole experience.
Bottom line, plenty of Cub fans, empty feeling. Not many Sox fans, bigger meaning.
32nd&Wallace, I agree with you 100%!! Yes, Cub fans are a dime a dozen and it does cheapen Cubdom (or is it Cub-Dumb?). The prevailing myth is that it's sooo hard to be a Cubs fan and being a Cub fan is a sign of true character. NOTHING CAN BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH (unless perhaps you are talking about being a Yankee or Cowboys fans)!!!! Being a Cub fan is so easy because all you are doing is wrapping yourself in the rampant CubLoveFest that exists today. It's akin to being in high school and choosing to hang out with a the clique that is most popular, but is full of shallow people with no substance.

Sure, I'd like the Sox to have a bigger following, but being a Sox fan is special and really does show true character of sticking it out with the team and showing pride without the benefit of pennants or a crushing hysteria around the team.

And I have to say that I have been in quite a few situations in my life where I have dealt with groups of people that are generally obnoxious jerks and it almost always seems to be that, in those situations, the nice people in such crowds generally turn out to be the Sox fans in those groups too. Of course that's not to say that all Cub fans are jerks or that no one who is a Sox fan is a jerk. But, that general trend is what I have experienced and no one can convince me otherwise because that is what I have experienced.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Just for the sake of discussion, let's fast-forward 15 years:

All the young, hip people in Lakeview have grown up but not moved out of the area. The neighborhood is packed with middle-aged couples and their 2.3 kids. People simply don't have time or energy to go to games anymore. The area around the Cell, however, has exploded in this time; condos, hip restaurants, etc. all the way from the Loop to 43rd street, from the lake to Ashland. All the young, hip people from Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. have moved into the area (as opposed to moving into "older" Lakeview) and are filling the Cell to capacity for every game. Behavior that is typical of Cubs fans today is the norm down at the Cell now. Wrigley has now turned into the place to take your family.

Will Cubs fan boards discuss how it is cheap to be a Sox fan these days? I know, far-fetched scenario but what do people think?

Last edited by itsnotrequired; 06-30-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired
Just for the sake of discussion, let's fast-forward 15 years:

All the young, hip people in Lakeview have grown up but not moved out of the area. The neighborhood is packed with middle-aged couples and their 2.3 kids. People simply don't have time or energy to go to games anymore. The area around the Cell, however, has exploded in this time; condos, hip restaurants, etc. all the way from the Loop to 43rd street, from the lake to Ashland. All the young, hip people from Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. have moved into the area (as opposed to moving into "older" Lakeview) and are filling the Cell to capacity for every game. Behavior that is typical of Cubs fans today is the norm down at the Cell now. Wrigley has now turned into the place to take your family.

Will Cubs fan boards discuss how it is cheap to be a Sox fan these days? I know, far-fetched scenario but what do people think?
I'll worry about it when the Sox have their own newspaper, #1 radio station, and cable superstation - and when the city and, to some extent. the nation get swept up in a sickening Sox Love Orgy.

I don't think having the south side gentrify means the Sox will ever be like the Cubs are today. And that's a good thing - I don't want my team to become what the Cubs are today.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3
I don't think having the south side gentrify means the Sox will ever be like the Cubs are today. And that's a good thing - I don't want my team to become what the Cubs are today.
It is hard to say what will happen. I'm not from Chicago but wasn't Wrigleyville a fairly dodgy area 15 years ago? The Cubs success from last year certainly bolstered interest but I believe the neighborhood is what really gets the attention. The classic argument is "What if the Sox and Cubs swapped stadiums?" I'm willing to bet that people would jump on the Sox bandwagon fairly quickly.

Die-hard Sox fans aren't going to jump ship if the Sox get crazy popular just like die-hard Cubs fans haven't jumped ship just because of the recent Cubs success. Know any life-long, die-hard Cubs fans that hate all the attention?