White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Cub fans in denial

We hear it every season. The Sox-Cubs games mean more to Sox fans than they do to the Cubbie faithful. An example of this was a Cub fan calling the Score Saturday evening saying these games were like a World Series to the Sox fans and meant not nearly as much to the Cub fans. He acted like the Cubs have been to a World Series lately when, of course, we all know that the North Siders haven't been to a Series in nearly six decades and haven't won one in nearly a century.

As posts at WSI indicate, we don't look at these games as the end all for the season. As much as we want to see the Cubs go down to defeat at the hands of the Sox, this is not our "World Series." We know when the Series is played and it is not in June or July.

Cub fans just won't admit they are just as worked up a Cubs-Sox game as we do. Like this Score caller, they put on this arrogant act as if they have had a winning tradition instead of trying to put back-back winning seasons together for the first time in 32 years. Maybe a good 12-step program is in order to deal with this denial.

Like the "Sox Pride" commercials, we pride ourselves in being different than Cub fans. Win or lose against the Cubs, we don't want a Disneyland atmosphere surrounding the White Sox. We just want to win, whether the Sox are playing the Cubs or anyone else.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:05 AM
WSI Personality

Hard to believe flub fans would feel that way.
Yesterdays loss dropped them 4 games behind the Cardinals.

They don't care about these games?

I hope they keep feeling that way next weekend.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H
We hear it every season. The Sox-Cubs games mean more to Sox fans than they do to the Cubbie faithful. An example of this was a Cub fan calling the Score Saturday evening saying these games were like a World Series to the Sox fans and meant not nearly as much to the Cub fans. He acted like the Cubs have been to a World Series lately when, of course, we all know that the North Siders haven't been to a Series in nearly six decades and haven't won one in nearly a century.

As posts at WSI indicate, we don't look at these games as the end all for the season. As much as we want to see the Cubs go down to defeat at the hands of the Sox, this is not our "World Series." We know when the Series is played and it is not in June or July.

Cub fans just won't admit they are just as worked up a Cubs-Sox game as we do. Like this Score caller, they put on this arrogant act as if they have had a winning tradition instead of trying to put back-back winning seasons together for the first time in 32 years. Maybe a good 12-step program is in order to deal with this denial.

Like the "Sox Pride" commercials, we pride ourselves in being different than Cub fans. Win or lose against the Cubs, we don't want a Disneyland atmosphere surrounding the White Sox. We just want to win, whether the Sox are playing the Cubs or anyone else.
Well...they cared after the Sox layed the smackdown on the their beloved Cubbies yesterday. And like I said in another thread, Dusty Baker, as laid back as he appears on TV, knows this is more about civic pride rather than than standings. Sure, the games count in the standings, and I know good and well he'd rather win 2 out of 3 than lost 2 out of 3. However, he wants to win these games...and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cubs fans say they don't care about these games...unless they lose them. And the Sox fans in attendance yesterday WAY outnumbered the Cubs fans unlike Friday's game. The Sox Nation represented well Saturday.

I told Scott Reifert the biggest reason why IMO the "Sox Pride" commercials work is because the team has finally "stood up to be counted." We all know the big reason why the Flubs are so popular, and it doesn't have a thing to do with winning. It's all about marketing, promotion, and popularity. It's not like they've won World Series titles like the Yankees or teams like that. The Sox were behind the 8-ball in the marketing department, but now it looks like they're on track to make up ground. It won't happen overnight...there's too big of a mountain to overcome right away. But if they keep at it, they'll be fine. Oh...a World Series ring or two will also help their cause.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H

Well said there Dan!

I read one Cubbie fan comment on Sox fans ragging on Sammy about cheating with a corked bat. The Cubbie fan said, "Memo to Sox fans: Stick the "cork" stuff in the attic, will you? That's yesterday's news."

Cubbie fans repeat these tired (butt) lines year after year...

* 'Sox fans want the Cubs to lose more than they want the Sox to win...'
* 'The Crosstown Series is the World Series to Sox fans...'

Memo to Cubbie fans: Stick the tired lines in the attic. They're simply not true and show a complete lack of creativity.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Memo to Cubbie fans: Stick the tired lines in the attic. They're simply not true and show a complete lack of creativity.
Cubs fans aren't intelligent enough to come up with better lines.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnterprize
Well...they cared after the Sox layed the smackdown on the their beloved Cubbies yesterday. And like I said in another thread, Dusty Baker, as laid back as he appears on TV, knows this is more about civic pride rather than than standings. Sure, the games count in the standings, and I know good and well he'd rather win 2 out of 3 than lost 2 out of 3. However, he wants to win these games...and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cubs fans say they don't care about these games...unless they lose them. And the Sox fans in attendance yesterday WAY outnumbered the Cubs fans unlike Friday's game. The Sox Nation represented well Saturday.

I told Scott Reifert the biggest reason why IMO the "Sox Pride" commercials work is because the team has finally "stood up to be counted." We all know the big reason why the Flubs are so popular, and it doesn't have a thing to do with winning. It's all about marketing, promotion, and popularity. It's not like they've won World Series titles like the Yankees or teams like that. The Sox were behind the 8-ball in the marketing department, but now it looks like they're on track to make up ground. It won't happen overnight...there's too big of a mountain to overcome right away. But if they keep at it, they'll be fine. Oh...a World Series ring or two will also help their cause.
Make no mistake about it. The Cubbies and Dusty were as concerned about the White Sox as they were about the Cardinals. The Cubbies had an opportunity to go with their top rotation against the Cards by skipping Rusch. Instead Dusty decided to have Rusch go against the Cards so that the Cubbies would have their strongest rotation against the Sox.

The Cubbies lost the series against the Cards (after winning the first game of the series). If the Cubbies lose today, Dusty's strategy will have blown up in his face.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:24 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
Cubs fans aren't intelligent enough to come up with better lines.
Don't even give them that much credit; they didn't come up with that ****... The Cubune did.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-27-2004, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post Hey DoubleM!!!!!

How'd you get that jersey design for a signature? I'd like to have one.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnterprize
How'd you get that jersey design for a signature? I'd like to have one.

You can go to The Sports Authority's website and preview custom jerseys with your name and number on it and then right click on the jersey and save picture as.

Home jersey

Road jersey

Alternate jersey
Old 06-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Well said there Dan!

I read one Cubbie fan comment on Sox fans ragging on Sammy about cheating with a corked bat. The Cubbie fan said, "Memo to Sox fans: Stick the "cork" stuff in the attic, will you? That's yesterday's news."

Cubbie fans repeat these tired (butt) lines year after year...

* 'Sox fans want the Cubs to lose more than they want the Sox to win...'
* 'The Crosstown Series is the World Series to Sox fans...'

You forgot their "trump card": "Our attendance is higher."
Old 06-27-2004, 08:17 PM
WSI Prelate

The last time I checked, these games counted in the standings. If the Cubs players don't care about the games, that's their problem. The Cubs, and their idiot fans, are going to wish they had these games back if they lose the division by one or two games.

Where is Vader at?

"Yes?"

I want you to find and destroy every Cubs fan on this planet. I don't care what you have to do. Just get rid of them.

"As you wish."