White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 12:51 AM
WSI Regular

Default outside of chicago no one can understand why i hate the cubs

I'm at a party here in the Old Dominion right after those Florida Marlins finished off my the Yankees in the world series. A friend says that he hated to see the Yankees lose, this outrage passes unchallenged, but when I say something to the effect of, "Well I wasn't, but as long as the Cubs lost I wouldn't have been too upset about how things came out." People reacted as if I'd said something more like, "You know Hitler gets a bum rap," as people literally walked away in disgust my friend, showing all the virtues of a Yankees fan, shouted that my opinions were not his own. Another time I say something insulting about the Cubs and my friend Andrew acts surprised, "But you lived in Chicago," so I had to explain that I'm a Sox fan, and then that Sox fans HATE the Cubs. If you live in Chicago you might get the dismissive oh you're a Sox fan when you insult the Cubs Inc., but at least you don't get the outrage or incomprehension.
I blame the media. The only Chicago station most people get is WGN (owned by you know who), so of course they hear the stories about how utterly heartbrokent the city is, when half the city is anything but. But every station throughout the country parrots that. Wouldn't it be a great story that despite what you think some Chicagoans are happy? You wouldn't even have to search, stand on a corner and talk to people in Sox hats, or if you're really lazy, and most TV "reporters" are, just go down to Bridgeport or Canaryville and knock on a few doors. Or take SNL doing their tired superfans skit. They had em all rooting for the Cubs, but guys like that probably wouldn't be Cubs fans. Heck a skit where some suburbanite or trixie came up talking to them about the Cubs and got yelled at might even be funny. Fey and Dratch are Second City alums so they should know that, but no it's easier that to make a not funny joke about what everyone knows. So yeah anyone else living outside Chicago have the same problem and just why is it that everyone is so brainwashed about the Cubs?
Old 06-27-2004, 01:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

this has a little to do with that, and a little not to, but to not start another thread I'll put this here.

I really thought Sox fans were the only ones who knew of how "real" cubs fans are. I was talking to one of my friends dad's, and I'm in Detroit , and he's a Tiger fan. He asked me if I was a Cubs fan and I said no, and his daughter asked something like, why I wasn't a cub fan, and I said because being a cub fan is the "popular" thing to do. Her dad chimes in and says, most cub fans are bandwagon jumpers and aren't real fans. They just are cub fans because of the media, and think it is cute to be the lovable losers. He said some other things, but I can't remember exactly. I just thought it was funny to hear that said by someone who wasn't a Sox fan for 1, and doesn't live near the city of Chicago.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:13 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearso66
this has a little to do with that, and a little not to, but to not start another thread I'll put this here.

I really thought Sox fans were the only ones who knew of how "real" cubs fans are. I was talking to one of my friends dad's, and I'm in Detroit , and he's a Tiger fan. He asked me if I was a Cubs fan and I said no, and his daughter asked something like, why I wasn't a cub fan, and I said because being a cub fan is the "popular" thing to do. Her dad chimes in and says, most cub fans are bandwagon jumpers and aren't real fans. They just are cub fans because of the media, and think it is cute to be the lovable losers. He said some other things, but I can't remember exactly. I just thought it was funny to hear that said by someone who wasn't a Sox fan for 1, and doesn't live near the city of Chicago.
Well that's obvious - a lot of those bandwagon jumpers are from Michigan.