White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2004, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Dotel totally IMPLODED

He's given a 4 run lead in the bottom of the ninth with Bonds leading off. He walks bonds. Feliz gets a single on the first pitch and the Pierzynski hits a homer run on the first pitch. Then Deivi Cruz gets a double that's almost a homer, JT Snow is hit by a pitch. A bunt is laid down and Durham is walked intentionally. Tucker hits a sac fly to left, Save blown (it was a save opp because dotel came in with a 3 run lead). Dotel gets Grissom out, but the game is tied.

Man, and you think the White Sox have bullpen problems.... The A's just cant get any help out of the pen. After having Izzy, Koch and Foulke, the A's just are completely melting down in the pen. Dotel was probably the wrong choice for the A's.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Kinda funny to watch that happen. It seems like such a White Sox moment. I just can't believe it happened to someone that Billy Beane acquired!
Old 06-27-2004, 12:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Dotel blew the save but got the win.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:45 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKilla
Oakland has found themselves the 2002 version of Billy Koch: blows the save, only to have the offense bail him out.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKilla
I guess that means that BB is a genious. His guy got the win.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Name a better GM

He has one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. If we think KW is handcuffed by cheap owners, then Billy Beane is in something out of a Jack Ryan fantasy. Before this year he has turned average pitchers into superstar closers. (Billy Taylor, Billly Koch, Jason Isrighausen). He traded Krotch for Foulke. His payroll has been under 50 mil and he's made the playoffs, while numerous other teams have had much higher payrolls and not made the playoffs. I would trade KW for Billy Beane in a second. I know it's fun to make fun of him for having a bad bullpen, but I think everyone knows he's without a doubt the best GM in baseball.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome
He has one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. If we think KW is handcuffed by cheap owners, then Billy Beane is in something out of a Jack Ryan fantasy. Before this year he has turned average pitchers into superstar closers. (Billy Taylor, Billly Koch, Jason Isrighausen). He traded Krotch for Foulke. His payroll has been under 50 mil and he's made the playoffs, while numerous other teams have had much higher payrolls and not made the playoffs. I would trade KW for Billy Beane in a second. I know it's fun to make fun of him for having a bad bullpen, but I think everyone knows he's without a doubt the best GM in baseball.
trading top level prospects for dotel was not a great move. I don't care if last week he cured cancer, made peace in israel and rewrote shakespeare, it doesn't change the fact that this was a bad trade for him.

maybe time will tell differently, but most likely dotel will not be a successful closer in oakland and beane will have traded top prospects for a middle reliever.

Sound familiar?
Old 06-27-2004, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Still, Name a Better GM

BB is not perfect by any means. I myself am not such a big fan of Dotel or Arthur Rhodes. But how he is able to produce playoff teams while the Mariners, Rangers, Mets, and others spend so much more money and lose baffles me still. The Dotel trade (which jury is still out on) is just a reason for the old baseball guys (if you read Moneyball you know what I mean) to rip BB.