White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
WSI Regular

Default Trade Idea

As I was looking through the Braves message boards earlier looking for news on the possible Russ Ortiz trade, I saw that they think that Andruw Jones is on the trading and can be had. They also seem to be keen on getting a 1st baseman to replace Franco, specifically mentioning Konerko. Now, I know we need another starter with the injury of Schoeneweis, but how about:

Konerko
Rowand
Cash

for

Andruw Jones

This way, we get our centerfielder that we've been looking for for God knows how long, and it improves our defense a ton.

Lineup

Harris 2B
Uribe SS
Ordonez RF
Thomas 1B/DH
Lee LF
Jones CF
Valentin DH/1B
Crede 3B
Olivo C

With trading Konerko (8 mil), Koch (2 mil) coming off the books completely, as well as Valentin (6 mil) and possibly Maggs (14 mil), they can easily afford Jones (12.5 mil for 4-5 years). If Andruw Jones is truly available, I see no reason why the Sox should not pursue him, as he if can learn how to be a better hitter (swing at better pitches, be more patient) he could be one of the best players in the game.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:00 PM
WSI Personality

Andruw Jones isn't worth Rowand and Konerko. Rowand has performed much better than Jones this year. Plus, Jones really never hits really high for average, he's only had one .300+ season. He'll hit a lot of homers and drive in a lot of RBIs, but that's what Konerko does.

I like his glove, but that's about it. I'd rather go for Drew from Atlanta.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:09 PM
WSI Regular

Konerko and Jones do both hit for hr's and rbi's, but Andruw Jones is arguably the best defensive player in the game at any position, and plays a position which is usually hard to fill, and we don't have a viable option in the near future. Harris is not a CF, but he is a good 2B, Rowand is not the answer, he is a good 4th outfielder who's trade value is good because he is hot right now, Perez is, I'm not even going to go there, Reed and Borchard are corner outfielders, and Brian Anderson is at least 2-3 years away.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox1388
...Andruw Jones is arguably the best defensive player in the game at any position, and plays a position which is usually hard to fill, and we don't have a viable option in the near future.
I wouldn't argue with any of that but does he not have (or had in the past) an attitude problem? The details are sketchy in my mind but I remember a game a few years ago where he didn't run in to catch an easy fly ball which dropped for a hit, and Bobby Cox pulled him out of the game right then and there.

Is it worth bringing in the talent if he is a potential cancer?

Ed
Old 06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Konerko and Jones do both hit for hr's and rbi's, but Andruw Jones is arguably the best defensive player in the game at any position, and plays a position which is usually hard to fill, and we don't have a viable option in the near future. Harris is not a CF, but he is a good 2B, Rowand is not the answer, he is a good 4th outfielder who's trade value is good because he is hot right now, Perez is, I'm not even going to go there, Reed and Borchard are corner outfielders, and Brian Anderson is at least 2-3 years away.
Reed plays center... So does Borchard... Not as good as Jones, but still solid.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The details are sketchy in my mind but I remember a game a few years ago where he didn't run in to catch an easy fly ball which dropped for a hit, and Bobby Cox pulled him out of the game right then and there.

Is it worth bringing in the talent if he is a potential cancer?
I remember that game. It was against the Cubs in 1998 I believe. That was six years ago. I think we've all seen how different Frank Thomas has been for the past few years compared to this one in terms of attitude. People change and mature. Also, I don't remember hearing from anywhere that he was clubhouse cancer with the Braves.

But look at th moves Kenny made last year bringing in TWO guys (Alomar and Everett) with "supposed" attitude problems. From what I remember, the other guys loved them and they turned out to not be a problem at all. And especially witht the talent of an Andruw Jones, I'd be willing to take a risk.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Reed plays center... So does Borchard... Not as good as Jones, but still solid.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard, they are both able to center, but would be average at best. They are projected to be really good corner outfielders with mediocre center field potential. Basically, they would be playing out of position on the big league level.