White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
WSI Regular

Default Harry Caray's dulcet tones

George Bova lists this among the Cubs idiocies:
"Keep [ing] alive a dead man's 7th inning shtick with an endless list of B-grade celebrities? Everyone from Iowa wishes they could catch their show back in Des Moines" Okay so the celebs bit is the sort of Disneyesque stupidity you'd expect out of Tribune Media Inc. However, maybe he shouldn't be so hard on the whole schtick because if I haven't been mislead Caray started singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" when he worked for the Sox at the urging of Bill Veeck. Also, Veeck had a hand in building all the stuff at Wrigley that is so associated with the Cubs. Don't get me wrong I do hate the Tribune media incarnation of the Cubs and I loathe their fans beyond words, but still you have to admit a lot of the Wrigley stuff was classic Veeck and really quite clever.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sld7c
George Bova lists this among the Cubs idiocies:
"Keep [ing] alive a dead man's 7th inning shtick with an endless list of B-grade celebrities? Everyone from Iowa wishes they could catch their show back in Des Moines" Okay so the celebs bit is the sort of Disneyesque stupidity you'd expect out of Tribune Media Inc. However, maybe he shouldn't be so hard on the whole schtick because if I haven't been mislead Caray started singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" when he worked for the Sox at the urging of Bill Veeck. Also, Veeck had a hand in building all the stuff at Wrigley that is so associated with the Cubs. Don't get me wrong I do hate the Tribune media incarnation of the Cubs and I loathe their fans beyond words, but still you have to admit a lot of the Wrigley stuff was classic Veeck and really quite clever.
Harry singing TMOTTBG is one thing. Tom Dreesen doing it is another, and quite non-Veeckian.