White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default Boston Herald ranks all 30 parks

I am posting this just to show how things look outside of Chicagoland

1). WRIGLEY FIELD, Chicago (50 points): For years, the primary reason to head to Wrigley was to party. And what a party it's always been. After decades of mediocrity, however, the Cubs are now among the game's best teams and frustrated fans are dreaming of a World Series showdown with the Red Sox. Accessible by subway and bus, and surrounded by lively bars in one of the best neighborhoods in arguably the nation's best city, it's tough to beat Wrigley.

2). FENWAY PARK, Boston (48): Wrigley is revered but Fenway Park is nothing less than a baseball shrine and it remains the most unique stadium in the game, nearly a century after it opened. Kenmore Square is fun but it doesn't match Wrigleyville. Many of the seats are painfully uncomfortable and parking is so limited that unmasked bandits have been known to charge up to $60 per car. Nevertheless, visiting Fenway is always worth the hassles.

26). U.S. CELLULAR FIELD, Chicago (19): What a joke. This place is like the old Expressway in Boston because it was outdated almost as soon as it opened. It replaced a crumbling old stadium but the subsequent opening of Camden Yards showed Chicago fans exactly what they could have had if Jerry Reinsdorf had any vision. For safety's sake, don't wander far from this stadium because you're not in Wrigleyville anymore!

for entire article

http://redsoxnation.net/index.php?showtopic=5813
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Thanks Fenway!
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-24-2004, 09:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Is the Boston Herald owned by the Tribune Company, by any chance?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Does the Cubune own the Boston Herald, or did they get that ignorant on their own?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Sorry, fenway...but what a bunch of crap.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:36 PM
WSI Personality

Good one fenway, I needed a good laugh today!
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Old 06-24-2004, 09:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, you have to be real careful outside of Comiskey because somebody got shot there after a game not too long ago.....wait no that wasn't Comiskey, where was that again?

Robert M. Knight
Old 06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

No the Herald is not owned by the Tribune, it is owned by Patrick Purcell and the morgage is held by Rupert Murdoch ( NY Post )

However the writer does hit on the biggest problem of W 35th St, outside of the ballpark, there is nothing there. Even the old Comiskey had the 2 bars across the street......
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

What a crock.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway
However the writer does hit on the biggest problem of W 35th St, outside of the ballpark, there is nothing there. Even the old Comiskey had the 2 bars across the street......
Funny...I'm usually more concerned about what happens inside the park (where there is a pretty cool bar) which I think was overlooked when the writer gave
a 2 for "stadium appeal" (also forgetting the fan deck, unobstructed seats, and picnic areas) and a 1 for "uniqueness" (cause exploding scoreboards aren't unique...).
Old 06-24-2004, 10:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
No the Herald is not owned by the Tribune, it is owned by Patrick Purcell and the morgage is held by Rupert Murdoch ( NY Post )

One problem Fenway...

When the Old Comiskey Park had bars across the street, the bars weren't the reason why people went there. Now, with everyone wanting to socialize when they go to a baseball game, too many members of the media are either too ignorant, or too lazy to explore the neighborhoods near the Cell to get their pre/post-game entertainment and/or drinking.

Whoever this mope is, he needs to get a clue. He's fortunate...beloved Fenway Park was pretty close to being a park/museum with a newer, modern version of Fenway a short distance away. But of course, it's too much to ask people if they want comfortable seating, well-lit and spacious concourses, and other rmodern amenities...isn't it?

It's a shame that people have made part of the criteria in making a baseball stadium a "good place to watch a game" included "outside the stadium" agendas in the mix. As if Bridgeport and Bronzeville don't count.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

As if you can into the Cask and Flagon or Boston Beer Works on a game day...or as if I'd even want to go to Atlas or Jake Ivory's (shudder).
Old 06-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

Just to set the record straight

I fell in love with the old Comiskey the first time I went there, I knew I was with BASEBALL fans.............

I never felt that way about Wrigley, but would concede it was a better ballpark than Fenway

However I have to be honest.....Wrigley is Yankee Stadium, and "The Cell" is Shea Stadium.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I am posting this just to show how things look outside of Chicagoland

1). WRIGLEY FIELD, Chicago (50 points): For years, the primary reason to head to Wrigley was to party. And what a party it's always been. After decades of mediocrity, however, the Cubs are now among the game's best teams and frustrated fans are dreaming of a World Series showdown with the Red Sox. Accessible by subway and bus, and surrounded by lively bars in one of the best neighborhoods in arguably the nation's best city, it's tough to beat Wrigley.

2). FENWAY PARK, Boston (48): Wrigley is revered but Fenway Park is nothing less than a baseball shrine and it remains the most unique stadium in the game, nearly a century after it opened. Kenmore Square is fun but it doesn't match Wrigleyville. Many of the seats are painfully uncomfortable and parking is so limited that unmasked bandits have been known to charge up to $60 per car. Nevertheless, visiting Fenway is always worth the hassles.

26). U.S. CELLULAR FIELD, Chicago (19): What a joke. This place is like the old Expressway in Boston because it was outdated almost as soon as it opened. It replaced a crumbling old stadium but the subsequent opening of Camden Yards showed Chicago fans exactly what they could have had if Jerry Reinsdorf had any vision. For safety's sake, don't wander far from this stadium because you're not in Wrigleyville anymore!

for entire article

http://redsoxnation.net/index.php?showtopic=5813
I lived in the neighborhood around Comiskey for most of my life. What's wrong
with it? Oh. There are black people to the south. Has this joke of a writer ever even been there?

What a ****ing bastard!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:

However I have to be honest.....Wrigley is Yankee Stadium, and "The Cell" is Shea Stadium.
Yankee Stadium reeks of urine too?

I have done a lot of work at Wrigley Field, and I know first hand that the place is a dump, if not for it's landmark status it would be condemned.