White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 12:18 PM
WSI Regular

Default Debate: Prior or Mauer?

Well, we all remember that draft where the Twins passed on Prior because they didn't have enough money. Then the scrubs drafted him and now us sox fan have to listen about Prior because she is the Savior of the cubs. Though we are lucky in the sense that the twins don't have him. Which team would you have rather Prior been drafted by?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggPipes
Well, we all remember that draft where the Twins passed on Prior because they didn't have enough money. Then the scrubs drafted him and now us sox fan have to listen about Prior because she is the Savior of the cubs. Though we are lucky in the sense that the twins don't have him. Which team would you have rather Prior been drafted by?
I would much rather him be a Cub than a Twin. While it is bad to hear about him every day in Chicago, it would be worse to have to face him 5 times a year in Minnesota. Mauer is quickly looking like everything they hoped he would be, and he will be no prize to play against for the next 5 years. But I'd much rather fight vs him for the division than vs Prior.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
For the good of baseball, I wish the Twins had drafted him. The Sox play the Twins 19 times a year, and over the next 5-7 years, I have a feeling that Mauer will hurt us more than Prior would in what would be his 4 or 5 starts per year against us if he were with the Twinkies.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

I would much rather him be on the Cubs so we don't have to play him as much, but I wanted the Chicago perspective because here in Nebraska I don't have to take it as much, I do have some friends who are cubs fans, but obviously on a lesser scale than in Chicago.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I would much rather him be on the Cubs so we don't have to play him as much, but I wanted the Chicago perspective because here in Nebraska I don't have to take it as much, I do have some friends who are cubs fans, but obviously on a lesser scale than in Chicago.
I think there was a poll up asking this question last year around this time and most of the people on this board voted for him to be with the Cubs.

I am with Randar in thinking that Mauer is going to haunt us a lot more than Prior would have each year...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

I would rather he be a Twin, simply because his salary issues would have caused him to leave the Twins in a few years.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:59 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Money was not the real issue with the Twins drafting Prior. It was the fact that Prior's agent would not settle for him signing a minor league contract with a signing bonus, he was determined that Mark would be signed to a Major league contract.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:50 PM
WSI Regular

What, Hangar hasn't shown up in this thread yet?

As a Twins' fan, I think the right choice was made for both the short and long term. An everyday player that has shown the ability (even as a rookie) to handle a pitching staff, can hit for power/average (and has a great batting eye), and has a freaking cannon for an arm sounds better to me than a pitcher that can only give you a chance to win every fifth game. Only time will tell, I guess
Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was thinkin the same thing Randar was thinking. Prior could only hurt us 4-5 times a year while Mauer could hurt us 19 times a year, probably more like 15-16, but still that is more than 4-5.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Tough call. Mauer is an everyday player who is going to be great but Prior is a stud. I think I'd rather have seen the Twins take Prior just for the sole reason that they probably wouldn't be able to afford him once he became arbitration eligbile. If they did keep him around past his 4th or 5th year it would probably be at the expense of other talent.

I can see Mauer wanting to stick with his hometown team and willing to accept less money to do so.

Bob