White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
WSI Personality

Default Scoreboard Races?

I was at the game last night and I was wondering, why do these get such a big cheer? Honestly who cares if the blue plane beats the pepporini pizza and the goofy green frog? Do people put money on these things? It's not just kids that cheer for these things, its everyone, I saw a grown man jumping up and down and cheering for one of these. Is it really that great and I just miss the point? Personally I'd rather have the video packages between innings, I could watch the Run DMC video all day long. Actually what I'd really like to see is everyone just watching the game and putting an end to these stupid races, except for the bobblehead race, I could always watch three bobblehead dolls chasing each other around a diamond and then getting to see the winner's victory dance, much like Affleck in "Phantoms" that race is the bomb.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have indeed put money on the pizza race.

Damn that Sausage!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
WSI Personality

If as many people cheer for the team as they do for the stupid races, the park would be deafening!

It's really about keeping kids and people interested during the game. Funny how you would think the GAME should be interesting enough.

More bloopers and highlights are what I would like to see!!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfish

Damn that Sausage!
How come they make the sausage one look retarded?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfish

Damn that Sausage!
Hell, we bet on everything. We have a pick to click, and a backup pick to click. $2 and $1 bets respectively. We bet $2 on all the races, and the hat trick too. That's why I'm cheering for the frogs, pizzas, and planes.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Yes, it is THAT important! My son always takes pepperoni, my daughter always takes cheese, and I am always left with sausage. This is for family bragging rights, you know.

My son even keeps track of how many of the scoreboard games everyone wins. Between the pizzas, frogs, jet planes, ATM users (still doing that one this year?), it becomes a heated competition. At least the hat trick game is one of skill and paying attention vs. a random guess.

SMO
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob
How come they make the sausage one look retarded?
Sausage is not retarded. Cheese is. Pepperoni is on speed. Sausage is an alcoholic.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-23-2004, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

The new Pinwheel race they had on Monday was pretty cool - I hope they keep that going this year.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Sausage is not retarded. Cheese is. Pepperoni is on speed. Sausage is an alcoholic.
I always thought that the Sausage was stoned? I guess he would have eaten himself then.... Never mind!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:06 AM
WSI High Priest

I wouldn't mind the scoreboard races if , say, anybody who had a ticket with the winning color on it got a prize.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

These races are a good break from the intensity of the game, while keeping in the spirit of competition. I welcome them.

And I can't help but laugh when girls scream out SAUSAGE!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
Actually what I'd really like to see is everyone just watching the game and putting an end to these stupid races,
They don't show them during the game.

Honestly, what's more fun, watching a stupid little minute and a half race on the screen or watching the pitcher take his warmup pitches and the groundscrew come out and drag the field?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
I always thought that the Sausage was stoned? I guess he would have eaten himself then.... Never mind!
Exactly, I've always thought the same thing. He has to appeal to the stoned demographic that visits the ballpark. Besides Pepperoni seems to be a little to happy to be cheered on by me.

Another reason why these races go on, it gives you a reason to forget the horrible play of the White Sox at times. One thing I still hate is the Cheer-O-Meter, let us cheer on our own damn it!
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Old 07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
WSI Personality

The Cheer-O-Meter is inaccurate. They must have two guys in there making their own noise to bump that sucker up, a la Harry Doyle and his sidekick in "Major League". ("But I tell ya, these Indians fans are great. Listen to them get behind Vaughn, 'Hey Rick, way to go, we're behind ya baby...' ")

Last time I was at Wrigley Field (in 1997, when they had that enjoyable 14 game losing streak to start the season), they had a number on the back of the ticket for the Florsheim number game. If your number matched the winning selection, you won a free pair of socks. Another game, if your color came up, you got a free bag of M&Ms. How you can tell which M&M is which on that little yellow-and-black message board underneath the centerfield bleachers is beyond me. (My uncle groused the whole night, "The Cubs are losing and I can't even win a free G** damn bag of socks.") You're telling me that wouldn't get fan interest up if "The Cell" cheers a pepperoni to win so they can get a free slice of pizza?

I hope to God they dropped that "Find The Ball Under The Hat" game. That was lame, and it cheats, too.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaSoxFan23
I hope to God they dropped that "Find The Ball Under The Hat" game. That was lame, and it cheats, too.

"Your WHAT hurts?"