White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default I met goose and the fridge today

A group of old ball players (baseball and football) came to the ship today to sign autographs. goose gossage, william perry, harman killebrew, franco harris, l. c. greenwood, manny sanguillen and paul blair were there. it was a good time and the first time i really got something out of the navy. goose was by far the most personable. everyone was standing around waiting for the captain to show up and the stars were huddled up waiting to get announced and stuff. goose was having none of that, he was all in the crowed shaking hands and talking to us. it was a really good time. has anyone met goose?

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 06-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Official Physician

Haven't ever met any of them, but glad to hear they did that and were able to brighten your day!
"A lot of people think I'm arrogant because I believe in myself. I'm not going to apologize for that. I don't care if people dislike me. Screw them. I do things my way...I don't ever expect to fail."--Josh Beckett
Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 PM
WSI Personality

Got Goose's autograph one year in spring training as a kid and he posed for a pic. Cool dude.

I saw the Fridge in a hotel bar in Ft. Lauderdale the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl. He blew off all the adults who asked for autographs but signed for kids. Ex-Bear Mike Hartenstein sat next to him at the bar and nobody acknowledged him. I grabbed the seat next to him and he signed my Bear's pennant, bouight me a couple cold ones, and talked football for a long time.

I hear the Fridge is going through tough financial times and is auctioning off a lot of his stuff. Hope he's doing this appearance for you Navy guys out of appeaciation and not for a few bucks.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubhater
Got Goose's autograph one year in spring training as a kid and he posed for a pic. Cool dude.

I saw the Fridge in a hotel bar in Ft. Lauderdale the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl. He blew off all the adults who asked for autographs but signed for kids. Ex-Bear Mike Hartenstein sat next to him at the bar and nobody acknowledged him. I grabbed the seat next to him and he signed my Bear's pennant, bouight me a couple cold ones, and talked football for a long time.

I hear the Fridge is going through tough financial times and is auctioning off a lot of his stuff. Hope he's doing this appearance for you Navy guys out of appeaciation and not for a few bucks.
i noticed there was no ring on his finger. when i shook his hand, i could not even get my fingers around it like a normal hand. i felt like a two year old trying to shake his hand. it wan't that it was big as it was thick. massive man. i doubt they get paid, but if they do it can't be much.