White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Tribune: Wrigley v. Comiskey TIE?

That's what it says! Moronotti must be rolling in his grave, well if he was dead.

It's all about the game at wrigley folks!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines

Overall experience
WRIGLEY:
PRO: It's a beautiful park with a lot of history. CON: Most of that history is losing.
U.S. CELLULAR: Look around . . . no one seems to be here. On the other hand, they probably are enjoying themselves somewhere else in "Comiskey Mall."
EDGE: EVEN. The parks couldn't be more different. At Cellular, there always is something to do. At Wrigley, it's all about the game
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

The "columnist" also seems to think take me out to the ball game is a long standing tradition started at the shrine.

Forget quotations, tell me what you know.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Its all about the game at Wrigley?

I guess he meant to say: It's all about getting seen at the game at Wrigley.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

its all about the beer ...
Old 06-22-2004, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

I thought this was an absurd description:

Quote:
U.S. CELLULAR: The patriotic-yet-rally-killing "God Bless America" on Sundays and holidays.
How is that rally killing? Does it involve a pop-up bunt?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Take Me Out to the Ballgame is a "canned version" at US Cellular?

That's just an ignorant comment written by someone who's never heard of Nancy Faust. He must have not even been paying attention if he didn't know the Sox organist was playing the 7th inning stretch.

"Security and Safety....EDGE: WRIGLEY. Both parks are pretty safe. Although there may be more obnoxious adults at Wrigley, there is less space for kids to get lost."

What? the edge to Wrigley because there is 'less space for kids to get lost'? That makes no sense to me.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:47 PM
WSI Personality

Default Media Bias? Never!

"Giveaways
WRIGLEY: The Cubs love giving things away. Though few items are geared to them, most kids would enjoy all the free stuff.
U.S. CELLULAR: By the time the summer really heats up, the Sox are hoping the play on the field and the frequent fireworks shows will be enough to lure young fans.
EDGE: WRIGLEY. A season-ticket holder on the North Side will fill up his bedroom with red and blue pretty quickly. On the other hand, Aug. 21 is Esteban Loaiza bobble head night at The Cell!

Home runs
WRIGLEY: Curtain calls when the Cubs hit a homer. "Throw it back!" when the visiting team does.
U.S. CELLULAR: Fireworks when the Sox hit a homer. A nice souvenir for a lucky fan when the visiting team does.
EDGE: CELLULAR. It's a good tradition at Wrigley, but few things make kids happier than fireworks."

Except for cheap cubbyville give-aways, those are better than fireworks!
If I didn't know better I would think the Cubs were owned by this paper!

What a joke. The only thing Wrigley can claim is nostalgia, but somehow they win on BP, give-aways, 7th inning stretch, and my favorite safety, because..."Both parks are pretty safe. Although there may be more obnoxious adults at Wrigley, there is less space for kids to get lost."

Daddy! Daddy! Where are you? I got lost in the Wide spacious concourses! "My Kingdom for a smelly decrepit cramped dump!"

Last edited by Malgar 12; 06-22-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:53 PM
WSI Regular

You forgot to mention the luxurious bathrooms, accessible parking, the fine malted flavor of Old Style beer, B-list celebrities warbling off the easiest-to-sing-song-in-the-universe-besides-Happy Birthday, and the World's Most Famous Panhandler!

Woo! I wiped myself! Woo!

'Stache rides again.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Just wondering: Is Malgar 12 the little brother of Hangar 18? I have some really twisted Sci-Fi imagery in my mind right now! No offence, I'm sure you are both well-rounded and human.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Fisk
Just wondering: Is Malgar 12 the little brother of Hangar 18? I have some really twisted Sci-Fi imagery in my mind right now! No offence, I'm sure you are both well-rounded and human.
I can assure you we're not related! I normally ignore the media bias stuff, because its so predictable but it was so blatant in this case I had to comment.

Ps.. maybe Im hanger18's older brother, we'll never know till he posts a year on his profile.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

In addition to the baseless conclusions re. "security" and "7th inning stretch," they rigged the results by ignoring several obvious categories that clearly favor the Cell, including beer, restrooms, seat comfort, views of the field, and accessability.

The last comment in the table is particularly ridiculous. They claim that the Urinal merits a tie because: "At Wrigley, it's all about the game," which their way of spinning the lack of "amusements." The statement could not be farther from the truth. It's well known that fans at the Cell are "all about the game," while folks at the Urinal are "all about" getting drunk on a weekday, being seen, and the overall "experience." The author concedes as much by admitting that there are "more obnoxious drunks" at the Urinal.

Nonetheless, the mere fact that it wasn't scored as an overwhelming victory for the Urinal indicates some progress. OTOH, that's probably completely negated by the BS headline in the sports section: "Tumbling toward 3rd."
Old 06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default More Cubune BS

They compare wrigley to the cell to determine which one is a better place for kids. While the cell gets plenty of credit, they end up calling the ballparks even OVERALL. More bull**** from bias writers.

Here's a few of my favorites.

"Security and safety
WRIGLEY: The ushers do their job well -- sometimes a little too well (forget about seat-hopping).
U.S. CELLULAR: The ushers are much more relaxed than they used to be, but the park is very secure, before and after the game.
EDGE: WRIGLEY. Both parks are pretty safe. Although there may be more obnoxious adults at Wrigley, there is less space for kids to get lost."

Less place to get lost? How about more drunken idiots for them to get trampled over by? Also a bathroom where they'll probably get some sort of disease from gallons of piss that didn't make it near the trough!

"Seventh inning stretch
WRIGLEY: "All right! Lemme hear ya! A one ... a two ... a three ..."
U.S. CELLULAR: The patriotic-yet-rally-killing "God Bless America" on Sundays and holidays. A canned version of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" on other days.
EDGE: WRIGLEY, easily. Harry Caray would be proud. Just be glad you're not in Baltimore where you'd have to suffer through John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." "

No mention whatsoever about how Harry Caray started singing Take me out ot the Ballgame at comiskey....

"Overall experience
WRIGLEY: PRO: It's a beautiful park with a lot of history. CON: Most of that history is losing.
U.S. CELLULAR: Look around . . . no one seems to be here. On the other hand, they probably are enjoying themselves somewhere else in "Comiskey Mall."
EDGE: EVEN. The parks couldn't be more different. At Cellular, there always is something to do. At Wrigley, it's all about the game. "

Are you ****in kidding me? I don't even think i need to say anything about this one for anyone on this board to know why its complete and utter bull****. This in addition to how they have completely ignored post-may sox attendance with their witty "no one seems to be here" comment.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's like that ESPN Stadium Ranking from last year where the points along put Wrigley somewhere in the sixties, then decided to give and extra twenty charity points because of "the charm".
Old 06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Default even ? wha!!!

from what i can tell from the article, the cell is by far a better atraction.
how can they say its even?
the sox food is the best in baseball, the beer superb, the easier bathroom lines, the fireworks.
easier player accesability, the scoreboard with races,. etc.
and a winning team.

atleast the trib didnt say that wrigley was better.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3

What? the edge to Wrigley because there is 'less space for kids to get lost'? That makes no sense to me.
Hey - I have a coat closet at home that should score pretty highly there...it's impossible to get lost! I suppose if I planted some weeds and peed in the corner, I could win this whole darn poll!