Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
WSI Regular

Default Commercial takes more abuse…

As I have been w/o internet access not sure if anyone else might have seen this and posted...but the Daily Iowan (the University of Iowa's newspaper) ran an editorial on the commerical last Friday. I am linking it here if anyone is interested in seeing it, however, you will have to register (give an e-mail address) to see the story I believe.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/2004/...s-688337.shtml
Old 06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawksFan1
As I have been w/o internet access not sure if anyone else might have seen this and posted...but the Daily Iowan (the University of Iowa's newspaper) ran an editorial on the commerical last Friday. I am linking it here if anyone is interested in seeing it, however, you will have to register (give an e-mail address) to see the story I believe.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/2004/...s-688337.shtml
And I want to read what people in Iowa think about it? The ones that aren't meth-heads are predominantly Cubs fans.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

I completely agree. Phuq Iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
And I want to read what people in Iowa think about it? The ones that aren't meth-heads are predominantly Cubs fans.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
WSI Regular

Exactly! The hell with Iowa! Go Illini!!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
WSI Prelate

The Daily Iowan? Who cares? And the author is clearly a Cubs fan who feels a need to defend himself. Well, more free advertising for the Sox! Nice job Brooks, the ads are continuing to be a huge success!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSoxFan
Where's this Iowa place you all speak of?

Sig professionally designed by WSI's own Michelle
Old 06-22-2004, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

You know, I haven't even't read Hal's article on this topic yet, but I strongly feel all the media coverage of the commercial actually strongly accentuates the messages here not diminishes them. Every article that appears in print on this topic no matter how derogatory, condemming, scolding, whining, negative in any way, only goes to prove how accurate and effective the new commercials are. Its the best advertising in years for the Sox, and the additional media coverage are just plain free advertising to the Sox KUDOS to our new PR man, now JR get him some extra bucks to spend on more of the same this summer. I can't wait to see what we might do after we slam baby bear meat next weekend!

Not to mention how dumb someone looks when they condemn thesox for slamming scrubbie organizations' scalping of tickets vs their long gone tradition of 20,000 seats that used to be guaranteed to go on sale every game day--give me a break and lets send mail to journalists complaining about the Sox commercials so they'll write a ton more of free advertising and bring more widespread media attention to the scrubs sox disparities!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Huh? A newspaper in Iowa is running an editorial on a harmless commerical that a Chicago baseball team is running on Chicago TV stations? Why do they care?

That sounds like a pretty stupid issue for them to comment on. It's not like the Sox made any controversial remarks that were racial or non-p.c. in nature. (Which, by the way, is in contrast to many Cub fans' veiled racist image of Sox fans)

The only explanation for this is that the editorial writer must be a Sox-hating Cubs fan. I'm not going to waste my time reading the blitherings of someone crybaby cub fan hopped up on Cubbie Crack.

One side benefit to that Sox ad is that it yet again has demonstrated that Cub fans are the biggest self-centered whiners in the world.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who wrote that tripe? It sounds like they called up someon from a Cubs message board to just Turn out a poorly written article that seems more like a "nya nya nya nya nya" type argument then anything based in logic or coherent thought. It is about the quality I would expect from and Iowa paper. ANd if that sounds pompous, oh well, I dont know how you could read that article and tell me it is well written anyway. But nice of him to get the word out to Iowa.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

The ones that aren't meth-heads are predominantly Cubs fans. Thats just pure absurdity. We really nipped that meth problem in the ass. Really though, I don't know why you think Iowa is just Cubland because it's just not true. You are as missinformed about Iowa as you claim the media is about the white sox. Please stop being so hypocritical of yourself and have a nice day.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Screw you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelaney72
I completely agree. Phuq Iowa.
Screw you...

Quote:
Exactly! The hell with Iowa!
Screw you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
The Daily Iowan? Who cares?
Screw you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere
Where's this Iowa place you all speak of?
Screw you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN721
It is about the quality I would expect from and Iowa paper.
Screw you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
The ones that aren't meth-heads are predominantly Cubs fans. Thats just pure absurdity. We really nipped that meth problem in the ass. Really though, I don't know why you think Iowa is just Cubland because it's just not true. You are as missinformed about Iowa as you claim the media is about the white sox. Please stop being so hypocritical of yourself and have a nice day.
You're cool...

I'm out...!

"Some people are born to hit and I'm one of them."

- Frank Thomas
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Believe it or not, there are Sox fans in Iowa. So, let's not let some Big Ten rivalry cloud our judgment here, mmkay?

I am part of the proud few Sox fans from the south suburbs who have travelled to Iowa City for schoolins. I will go ahead and defend my campus and my football team and all that, but my thoughts mostly mirror everyone else; who cares what people in Iowa think?

Four hours from Chicago, the Cub dominance is unbelievable here. It's like some horror movie experiment. Seriously. Even worse are the HUGE population of North Siders who commute here because their parents can afford the ridiculous out-of-state tuition. (I'm taking out loans that will surely ruin my life for the next 30 years just to become an English teacher.)

And that Ted kid who wrote that article is a certifiable douche. I DJ at the college radio station here, and Ted runs the "sports" department. He is, without a doubt, a moron from Des Moines who knows his audience of faithful Cubbie fans will cherish his subaverage drivel if he picks on the right people.

Go Sox. And Hawkeyes.

'Stache rides again.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
WSI Regular

Ah, I was just kidding. Sensitive Iowans.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned

Somehow, an editorial that uses the phrase "oh, snap!" cannot be taken very seriously at all.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:58 PM
WSI Regular

not only do i nor any sox fan care of the opinions of people in iowa, but it is horrible journalism. the writer did commited the "sox's" faux pas and called the cell "comiskey."