Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Maggs Article - he gone?

This Sun-Times article says that the Sox have never made a serious offer to Maggs and won't and they are positioning themselves to, in the end, make it look like they tried to re-sign him but Maggs just walked away.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluc...t-deluca22.htm
Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 AM
WSI Prelate

"The spin will be Ordonez made the choice to walk away. Don't believe it."

Just because the Sox didn't offer him 5/70, doesn't mean that he isn't choosing to walk. It is Magglio's choice - at the end of the day. If making 14 is more important than making 12 and staying with the Sox (and I can't blame him for that decision), then goodbye Magglio - we will miss you. You may get 14mm from the Mets or the Dodgers. But you won't get that here.

I am fully ready to move on in 2005 without Ordonez and to seek alternative ways to spend the 12-13 mm that was budgeted for him, or the 14mm that he earned this season. I am fully ready to go with Reed and/or Borchard. I am not a Magglio fan, a Frank fan, an Ozzie fan, a Carlos fan, etc. - I am a Sox fan.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:22 AM
WSI Personality

What a half-assed article. There's not one quote in it from anybody. Until I see a quote from Maggs, his agent or KW, I will continue to reserve judgement. But thanks anyway for your opinion, Chris.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
When the dust settles from the eventual Ordonez exit, the Sox will look as silly as they did in their failed pursuit to sign A-Rod on the cheap days before he landed his landmark 10-year, $252 million contract from the Texas Rangers.
This has to be one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Their were reports that the Sox offered A-Rod as much as $160MM. On what planet is that cheap?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch

Just because the Sox didn't offer him 5/70, doesn't mean that he isn't choosing to walk. It is Magglio's choice - at the end of the day. If making 14 is more important than making 12 and staying with the Sox (and I can't blame him for that decision), then goodbye Magglio - we will miss you. You may get 14mm from the Mets or the Dodgers. But you won't get that here.

I am fully ready to move on in 2005 without Ordonez and to seek alternative ways to spend the 12-13 mm that was budgeted for him, or the 14mm that he earned this season. I am fully ready to go with Reed and/or Borchard. I am not a Magglio fan, a Frank fan, an Ozzie fan, a Carlos fan, etc. - I am a Sox fan.
I think you are missing the point - are the Sox indeed offering him some reasonable amount and is Maggs just walking away because he wants 14mil instead of 10 or 12mil? I read this article to say that this what the Sox want you to think, but they won't make any serious effort to keep him.

We don't know what is really going on in private negotiations, but this is exactly what we have come to expect from Sox ownership - little commitment to invest in a winning team but trying to make fans believe they are committed to winning.

And if you're hoping that Maggs leaving means this frees up 14 million for the Sox to spend on other quality players - I wouldn't count on it. Expect the Sox to make no quality aquistions and try to win with talent from our farm system. (oh wait, maybe I should put "talent from our farm system" in teal since that is pretty non-existant at this point).

But, on the bright side, we'll probably have green seats and a better marketing campaign next year.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Funny, I thought all the negotiations were being done in private.

Anything mentioned before the press conference that one way or another Maggs' future with Sox is pure speculation.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch

I agree. How much money does this guy want? If he is truly happy here he shoould be fine with making slightly less then Vlad money because he is a slightly lesser player any way you look at it.

It's about trying to keep things in perspective. Magglio is great, but last I checked we haven't won a playoff game with him around. Not that it's all his fault, but if that money can find 2 starting pitchers, then I think there would be a different outlook for this team.

Bob
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas1974
This has to be one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Their were reports that the Sox offered A-Rod as much as $160MM. On what planet is that cheap?
$160mil isn't cheap, but I believe the accusation is that the Sox made an offer that they knew was way below what A-Rod would accept just so Reinsdorf & Co. can tell us fans that they tried their best to get A-Rod. That's misleading - but that doesn't mean that we should have broken the bank for ARod either - it just means that the Sox are more interested in misleading Sox fans than being serious about building a championship caliber team.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3
This Sun-Times article says that the Sox have never made a serious offer to Maggs and won't and they are positioning themselves to, in the end, make it look like they tried to re-sign him but Maggs just walked away.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluc...t-deluca22.htm
I noticed there wasn't a single direct quote from Ordonez in that article. Interesting.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
..... but if that money can find 2 starting pitchers, then I think there would be a different outlook for this team.

Bob
That's the big IF. IF they did that then, then I would agree with you 100%. But history tells us that they won't. Since the White Flag Trade in '97, the Sox ownership has been running this team like we're the Brewers or Expos.

Ok, I have spread enough negativity for one day. Back to work for me.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
I noticed there wasn't a single direct quote from Ordonez in that article. Interesting.
I know, he's making a lot of broad statements here, stuff I've never heard.

"The sting of the proposed Nomar Garciaparra-for-Ordonez swap in the Boston Red Sox' failed attempt to land Alex Rodriguez last winter cut Ordonez deeply. "

Since when? This guy is trying to pass his opinions off as facts, what garbage.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

i belive the sun-times as much i belive the royals will trade beltran for a piece of bread and butter
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

[QUOTE=GoSox2K3]That's the big IF. IF they did that then, then I would agree with you 100%. But history tells us that they won't. Since the White Flag Trade in '97, the Sox ownership has been running this team like we're the Brewers or Expos.
QUOTE]

While the team has not been as successful as I'd like, it ridiculous to say they have been run like the Brewers or Expos.

Robert M. Knight
Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Maggs article

I don't take anything written in the papers on face value, but I am also now just willing to say, if Maggs walks, it is totally his decision. This is a two way street, and if things break down, the fault goes both ways.

Is Ordonez being unreasonable? Maybe. But the main point is that someone will be willing to give him what he wants, and that poses a problem for the Sox and their fans.

I don't understand the venom toward Ordonez. He's done nothing but produce year after year. Last year was an "off" year and he still had 99 RBIs. And he has done so with no hint of scandal or trouble. How many years have we had to put with Frank's whining?

If the Sox don't sign Ordonez, the team is sending a message, and it is the wrong one.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas1974
What a half-assed article. There's not one quote in it from anybody. Until I see a quote from Maggs, his agent or KW, I will continue to reserve judgement. But thanks anyway for your opinion, Chris.
That's exatly what I telling myself while reading the article. No quotes from anyone, just some half-assed opion of a guy who probably never played baseball much less negotiatiated anyones contract!

Shut up and wait, bonehead! I hope that article comes back to bite him in the butt.