White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Happy Meal Prep

Default John Kruk is a Moron AND a Hypocrite

This week from Kruk's "Chewing the Fat" (clever pun, guys):

Quote:
"What I'm saying here is that this whole obsession with personal stats is getting a little out of hand."
This from a man who quit in the middle of a game when his lifetime average had reached the magical .300 mark.

John Kruk is a moron and a hypocrite
Old 06-19-2004, 04:26 PM
MMXXIII

I remember a while back when they were talking about OBP and how "ridiculous" a stat that is, Kruk brought up his days with the Sox and mentioned that Frank Thomas' high OBP does not mean anything because, as he put it, Frank takes too many pitches and walks when guys are on base rather than hit and drive them in.

Could it be, John, that maybe pitchers aren't giving Frank **** to hit considering the guys protecting him in the order, especially this year now that Maggs is batting third?

John Kruk = fool.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
I remember a while back when they were talking about OBP and how "ridiculous" a stat that is, Kruk brought up his days with the Sox and mentioned that Frank Thomas' high OBP does not mean anything because, as he put it, Frank takes too many pitches and walks when guys are on base rather than hit and drive them in.

Could it be, John, that maybe pitchers aren't giving Frank **** to hit considering the guys protecting him in the order, especially this year now that Maggs is batting third?

John Kruk = fool.

I remember that same exact show man. Harold Reynolds was saying Frank was no good because OBP didn't mean anything and was a worthless stat; and then Kruk talked about how he joined the Sox, got a base hit, then retired. This guy is a joke. Worst part is the man is a god to Philadelphia fans next to Mike Schmidt and Lenny Dykstra.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:36 PM
WSI Personality

John Kruk and Harold Reynolds make my head hurt, both average ballplayers who turned into lousy talking heads. I'm still amazed that Kruk is able to stuff himself into his suit 4 times a week and he always has the "Just-Think-About-The-Paycheck" look smeared across his fat face.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

John Kruk = fool.
When there's a runner on first and Frank gets a walk, that's pretty big because it forces a runner into scoring position. The importance of this is often downplayed and forgotten, especially when you have hitters like Lee and Konerko (and hopefully Magglio, Frank should hit 3) hitting behind him
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-19-2004, 04:40 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
I remember that same exact show man. Harold Reynolds was saying Frank was no good because OBP didn't mean anything and was a worthless stat; and then Kruk talked about how he joined the Sox, got a base hit, then retired. This guy is a joke. Worst part is the man is a god to Philadelphia fans next to Mike Schmidt and Lenny Dykstra.
Yeah, but realistically, the Phillies have been a pretty sorry franchise. It took them, what? 80 years to win a World Series? And it's not like they've been annual bridesmaids... They sucked for a looooooooooong time. Can't be too picky with a history like that.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
I remember that same exact show man. Harold Reynolds was saying Frank was no good because OBP didn't mean anything and was a worthless stat;
Yet last week Harold Reynolds was jumping up and down about how the Indians are number 1 in the league in OBP. I guess that's more important than being number one in homers, batting average, slugging %, and runs scored.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but realistically, the Phillies have been a pretty sorry franchise. It took them, what? 80 years to win a World Series? And it's not like they've been annual bridesmaids... They sucked for a looooooooooong time. Can't be too picky with a history like that.
It was actually closer to one hundred years before they won a title.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
What's more pathetic; that the Phillies took "80 years" to win a World Series or that our team has gone nearly as long without winning one?

But then, there's the most pathetic thing of all, a certain team of baby bears going 96 seasons without winning one.

Go Sox!
Old 06-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

John Kruk = fool.
I remember this show because they cited the stats saying that despite Frank's high OBP he'd only scored 45 runs last year. Well, unfortunately their stat guy blew it because Frank scored 87 runs last year and was in the same category of scoring runs when getting on base as such notable laggards as Derek Jeter.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
I remember this show because they cited the stats saying that despite Frank's high OBP he'd only scored 45 runs last year. Well, unfortunately their stat guy blew it because Frank scored 87 runs last year and was in the same category of scoring runs when getting on base as such notable laggards as Derek Jeter.
I subsequently emailed Reynolds about this and he told me that he mispoke, and that number comes after you subtract Frank's homers, because he scored himself (why that matters I don't know). I emailed him back and asked him why he did not apply that logic to the guys he compared Frank to (Jeter, Patterson, et. al), but he never responded.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
It was actually closer to one hundred years before they won a title.
Just more evidence that this nonsense about there being "curses" preventing the Cubs and the Red Sox from winning the World Series is just plain wrong.

Even with perfect parity, it would take 30 years before every team won a World Series. I've willing to bet that the Rockies will be one team that will go over a hundred years without a WS appearance.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRIG
This week from Kruk's "Chewing the Fat" (clever pun, guys):

This from a man who quit in the middle of a game when his lifetime average had reached the magical .300 mark.

John Kruk is a moron and a hypocrite
Kruk claims he didn't know that hit put him over .300 until after the game was over, he said he just wanted to end his career with a base hit.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsInSC
Kruk claims he didn't know that hit put him over .300 until after the game was over, he said he just wanted to end his career with a base hit.
They would have rounded up anyways so it's a moot point