White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Philo-Sox-er Philo-Sox-er is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Carbondale, IL/Harvey, IL
Posts: 309
Default Chickens

I think this is a great idea. Fan or not of Bonds, I think it is cowardice not to pitch to him, ever. This is simply crazy and I am glad to see the Giants combat it in some manner:

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Tired of all the walks Barry Bonds draws, the San Francisco Giants will begin selling orange rubber chickens named "Walk'er" on Monday.






Why? "To officially protest the number of intentional walks at SBC Park," the Giants said.



Why chickens? The Giants didn't say, but it would seem obvious.



In 57 games entering Saturday's game against the Boston Red Sox, Bonds had drawn a major league-leading 94 walks, 51 of them intentional.



The chickens -- described as "your average fowl" -- will sell for $10, with proceeds going to the Giants Community Fund.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2004, 05:27 PM
HebrewHammer HebrewHammer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,349
Default

I don't think its cowardice, I think its smart baseball. What the Giants are doing is funny and an interesting promotion, but I don't think it will really combat the IBB's.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2004, 06:50 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,100
Default

Bonds is purely amazing. He can hit anything, anywhere. If I were a manager facing him I wouldn't pitch to him if the game was reasonably close.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Philo-Sox-er Philo-Sox-er is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Carbondale, IL/Harvey, IL
Posts: 309
Default

I agree with both of you in principle. It is smart baseball IF the games are close. But he has been getting intentionally walked when they are ahead or behind by large margins. Notice, you don't see Randy Johnson, Clemens, et al giving him a free pass--only the mediocre pitchers. The duel between pitcher and batter is what makes baseball great!

But, yes, I'd pitch to Pierzynski everytime, rather than Bonds. And, the promotion is funny and it won't change a thing. But at least the pitchers will get razzed, as they should.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
StepsInSC StepsInSC is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,798
Default

Or they could actually go out and get someone to PROTECT him.
__________________
CLEMSON TIGERS
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
Rogers Hornsby
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2004, 12:17 AM
StockdaleForVeep StockdaleForVeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago\DeKalb\Granite City
Posts: 4,555
Default

If i were a mgr, i would delib walk him or have him beaned every at bat, screw who he is. I was so sick when he was goin for 70 and they showed his kids and a sign "please pitch to our daddy"

Hell, i would tell my pitchers theyd be fined for throwing a strike unless i told them too. Bonds can complain all he wants
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2004, 12:44 AM
CubKilla CubKilla is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Tinley Park
Posts: 3,739
Default

It's probably racism that alot of teams don't pitch to Bonds.
__________________
Jerry Reinsdorf brings you White Sox Baseball: 2008 AL Central Champs!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2004, 08:36 AM
thepaulbowski thepaulbowski is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: McKinley Park
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKilla
It's probably racism that alot of teams don't pitch to Bonds.
*****
__________________
Everybody has the will to win, but few people have the will to prepare to win.

Robert M. Knight
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Dadawg_77 Dadawg_77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Side of Chicago
Posts: 8,252
Default

If the game is close and it means something in a pennant race, I wouldn't pitch to him. I may not intentionally walk him, but I would tell the pitcher to put four pitches in the dirt or at eye level.
__________________
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 8,290
Default

How long till fans start throwing the chickens at the pitchers?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,682
Default

Is it just me or does Bonds get an out 64% of the time he is pitched to? Why walk a man everytime you face him when odds are he'll actually get an out? pitch to him, let him make you "look bad" 36% of the time it's not like the Guy only hits Home runs and extra base hits, and it's not like there is any one on every time he comes to bat...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-23-2004, 01:11 AM
StockdaleForVeep StockdaleForVeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago\DeKalb\Granite City
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
Is it just me or does Bonds get an out 64% of the time he is pitched to? Why walk a man everytime you face him when odds are he'll actually get an out? pitch to him, let him make you "look bad" 36% of the time it's not like the Guy only hits Home runs and extra base hits, and it's not like there is any one on every time he comes to bat...
No pitcher has the confidence to challenge him, unless your pedro martinez that is. I was so amazed pedro challenged him with fast balls, that was an epic atbat, sadly pedro is not who he used to be
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.