White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:27 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,737
Blog Entries: 5
Default Bonds: Boston "too racist"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1824716

It's your world, Barry... This guy spent too many years with Dusty.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
dpbyron dpbyron is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 370
Default

I've heard that players have said this for decades. Wasn't it on that HBO special about the curse?

Of course, Barry is just being his usual ***hole self and know cares about what he says.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:34 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,872
Default

That's a claim I've heard many times before. As much as I hate Boston and would be willing to take any chance to denigrate the city and its fans, I cannot find any evidence whatsoever to back up that claim.

Indeed, if anything, Boston has a reputation for being quite the opposite. It was the birthplace of abolition and all.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Cubbiesuck13 Cubbiesuck13 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,865
Default

word of mouth... hmmm that is a good reason to call an entire city racist. keep in mind this guy plays in san fran. where everyone is special and cute and normal. no matter what kind of person they are or what kind of thing they sleep with.
__________________
Cubs Suck!

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
word of mouth... hmmm that is a good reason to call an entire city racist. keep in mind this guy plays in san fran. where everyone is special and cute and normal. no matter what kind of person they are or what kind of thing they sleep with.
Boston isn't exactly a bastion of conservatism and homophobia either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,161
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
That's ok. San Fran is too gay for me. Anyone can play the sweeping-generalization game.
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Cubbiesuck13 Cubbiesuck13 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
Boston isn't exactly a bastion of conservatism and homophobia either.
i would imagine that it is similar to most other big cities in terms of consercatism and homophobia. san fran is in a whole nother world.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
thepaulbowski thepaulbowski is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: McKinley Park
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
That's ok. San Fran is too gay for me. Anyone can play the sweeping-generalization game.
How could a place be too happy!!
__________________
Everybody has the will to win, but few people have the will to prepare to win.

Robert M. Knight
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2004, 11:20 PM
FarWestChicago's Avatar
FarWestChicago FarWestChicago is offline
Chief Geek - Security Guard
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 16,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaulbowski
How could a place be too happy!!
Well it would be happier in teal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2004, 11:31 PM
1951Campbell 1951Campbell is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,961
Default Barry's right!

Boston is the most racist, segregated place I've ever lived or visited (and I've been to 48 states, mind you). I know we all hate Barry, but's he right. I lived there for 4 years, and man...unbelievable, given all the liberal rhetoric flying around the place.

A fun game to play next time you go to Fenway...count the black fans. In 40+ games I never got past five...out of 33,000+ people.

In the 22 years before I moved there, I had never heard some yell "n*****!" at someone in anger before--and that's impressive, coming from Milwaukee--but I saw it twice in the first year I was there. People's reaction? Nothing.

Restaurants, bars...totally segregated. My wife and I went to a restaurant in Milwaukee on a trip back from Boston when we lived there. We noticed something different...it was...black and white people actually eating and drinking at the same establishment! We forgot what that was like.

20 years after Brown vs. Board of Education...Boston finally decided to de-segregate its schools...and essentially had a two-year race war over it, and everyone is still talking about it. Ever seen the famed picture of the white guy stabbing the black guy with the American flag? Yep.

C'mon...Charles Stuart?

And I especially enjoyed the combination of provincialism and racism. People told my wife and I not to venture two or three blocks from certain restaurants in certain neighborhoods. Sad because (1) some folks assume things about minorities, and (2) funny because these provincial Bostonians think that an evil, colored mugger is incapable of following you three blocks into a different neighborhood, because...who would ever leave their neighbohood, or even go more than 10 blocks from their house? Man, three blocks is another world in Boston!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2004, 11:57 PM
munchman33 munchman33 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 7,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951Campbell
Boston is the most racist, segregated place I've ever lived or visited (and I've been to 48 states, mind you). I know we all hate Barry, but's he right. I lived there for 4 years, and man...unbelievable, given all the liberal rhetoric flying around the place.

A fun game to play next time you go to Fenway...count the black fans. In 40+ games I never got past five...out of 33,000+ people.

In the 22 years before I moved there, I had never heard some yell "n*****!" at someone in anger before--and that's impressive, coming from Milwaukee--but I saw it twice in the first year I was there. People's reaction? Nothing.

Restaurants, bars...totally segregated. My wife and I went to a restaurant in Milwaukee on a trip back from Boston when we lived there. We noticed something different...it was...black and white people actually eating and drinking at the same establishment! We forgot what that was like.

20 years after Brown vs. Board of Education...Boston finally decided to de-segregate its schools...and essentially had a two-year race war over it, and everyone is still talking about it. Ever seen the famed picture of the white guy stabbing the black guy with the American flag? Yep.

C'mon...Charles Stuart?

And I especially enjoyed the combination of provincialism and racism. People told my wife and I not to venture two or three blocks from certain restaurants in certain neighborhoods. Sad because (1) some folks assume things about minorities, and (2) funny because these provincial Bostonians think that an evil, colored mugger is incapable of following you three blocks into a different neighborhood, because...who would ever leave their neighbohood, or even go more than 10 blocks from their house? Man, three blocks is another world in Boston!
I've been there three times, and this was my experience in Boston as well. Whether I'm at the game, at the bar, or just walking around the city, if I have my black friends with me, we get glares, poor service, and are constantly hassled by the police. When I'm with my white friends, there's never an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2004, 03:32 AM
MarkEdward MarkEdward is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oak Forest, Illinios
Posts: 1,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
That's a claim I've heard many times before. As much as I hate Boston and would be willing to take any chance to denigrate the city and its fans, I cannot find any evidence whatsoever to back up that claim.

Indeed, if anything, Boston has a reputation for being quite the opposite. It was the birthplace of abolition and all.
I don't know about the city and racism (but from what munchman and 1951Campbell say, it doesn't sound too good), but the Red Sox have a history of organizational racism. From what I remember, the Red Sox were the last team to integrate. Recently Howard Bryant, a Boston sport's writer, wrote a book on the Red Sox and racism.

If there's someone I could rely on in regards to this subject, I think it would be Barry Bonds. His family (which includes Bobby Bonds and Willie Mays) have been integral parts of baseball for the past fifty years. Barry does seem to have a good understanding (and reverence) of history.
__________________
Proud sponsor of the Mark Johnson and Eddie Collins pages at baseball-reference.com.
"We believe in a government strong enough to use the words "love" and "compassion" and smart enough to convert our noblest aspirations into practical realities."
Mario Cuomo- 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2004, 04:16 AM
pinwheels3530 pinwheels3530 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Berywn, IL
Posts: 789
Default

Man those posts from 1951 Campbell and Munchman 33 really shut the mouths of the posters who would've surely turned this conversation into a " I hate Barry, Bostons not racists, lets make some smart remarks because I don't agree with what he said" thread, even though there is evidence to support his statements. I am glad to see we have posters here who speak the truth and will not just sweep the subject under the rug!! I am very dissappointed with the reaction of the first couple of posters to this thread!!! SAD VERY SAD!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2004, 09:16 AM
hose's Avatar
hose hose is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,832
Default

Didn't Bonds say that he wants to break Babe Ruth's record but not Henry Aaron's?

*** is that suppose to mean?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-19-2004, 09:36 AM
JohnBasedowYoda's Avatar
JohnBasedowYoda JohnBasedowYoda is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alsip, you jealous fool
Posts: 5,727
Default

sadly alsip is a town that falls victim to generalizations
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.