White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2004, 07:54 PM
New At WSI

First time visitor to "The Cell"

Hello everybody. I'm a New Yorker about to make my first trip to Chicago in about twenty years. I will be attending one of the games during the Cleveland series and have a few questions for you:

Why is the ballpark called "The Cell"?
Is it true the seats in the upper deck are too far from the field to enjoy? Any recommendations for seat location? Is parking at the stadium really $16? That's outrageous by even NY standards. Can I park my car close to the ballpark and take the subway, I mean el? Oops, sorry about the NY reference. Any other important tips I should know about?
Thanks to all for your responses.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone
Hello everybody. I'm a New Yorker about to make my first trip to Chicago in about twenty years. I will be attending one of the games during the Cleveland series and have a few questions for you:

Is it true the seats in the upper deck are too far from the field to enjoy? Any recommendations for seat location? Is parking at the stadium really $16? That's outrageous by even NY standards. Can I park my car close to the ballpark and take the subway, I mean el? Oops, sorry about the NY reference. Any other important tips I should know about?
It's in a dangerous part of town and you'll probably get beat up -- or worse. I suggest you stay away. We prey on the weak and infirmed... aka Cubs fans.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

OK, in order....

- The naming sponsor is US Cellular, the field's official name is US Cellular Field, hence the nickname "the Cell"
- UD seats are just as good as UD seats in any other stadium, Lower deck seats are awesome, generally better views than many. And the food & amenities everywhere are better than most.
- Anywhere in the LD is awesome. If you can, hit the bullpen bar in RF or the Fan deck in CF
- Yes, parking is $16
- You can park close and either walk (although you hvae to get out of the immediate neighborhood since that's restricted street parking during games), or park a bit north by Chinatown and take the train.
- VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Get yourself a churro and enjoy a big Sox win!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:12 PM
WSI High Priest

You could probably take public transportation for $1.75 from your hotel. Where are you staying?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-18-2004, 08:13 PM
New At WSI

I'm visiting friends in Downer's Grove.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

"The Cell" is a nickname based on the park's official name: US Cellular Field.

Don't believe the negative smear by the media against the upper deck. It's not that bad up there - especially this year now that they have removed the top third of the upper deck and placed a roof over the upper deck. Seats in the upper deck behind homeplate are pretty good. I would be happy with anything between 1st and 3rd base. Upper deck seats beyond first or third are not so good.

That being said, I'd try for lower deck seats if they are available. They are excellent. If you get lower deck seats, make sure to check out the Fan Deck in centerfield or the bullpen sports bar in RF.

Yes, parking is $16. The park is easily accessible by el (Red Line).
Old 06-18-2004, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Ouch. The el doesn't run there.

Driving and paying the awful parking fee is probably going to be your best bet, unless you have a good knowledge of south loop area.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's in a dangerous part of town and you'll probably get beat up -- or worse. I suggest you stay away. We prey on the weak and infirmed... aka Cubs fans.

Classic.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My suggestion: Take the Eisenhower (I-290) east to the Des Plaines exit in Forest Park. There, you can park your car for only $1.50. Take the Blue line, which has it's eastern endpoint at Des Plaines, to the Jackson station. At Jackson, you can make a free transfer via pedestrian tunnel to the Red line. Take the Red line south (towards Dan Ryan/95th) for 4 stops to the 35th St / Sox Park stop, at which point you are one block away from US Cellular Field.

I'm sure your Downers Grove friends can help you get to the Eisenhower / I-290.

SMO
Old 06-19-2004, 03:59 AM
WSI Personality

We have one of the best ballparks in baseball I think you'll enjoy it!!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge
George, PLEASE use teal...even when you really mean it!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Banned

I'm from Downers. They used to have a deal that if you got to the park before 5:30, parking was only $8. I haven't been to the park this year, yet, so I'm not certain if they still have it.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie
My suggestion: Take the Eisenhower (I-290) east to the Des Plaines exit in Forest Park. There, you can park your car for only $1.50. Take the Blue line, which has it's eastern endpoint at Des Plaines, to the Jackson station. At Jackson, you can make a free transfer via pedestrian tunnel to the Red line. Take the Red line south (towards Dan Ryan/95th) for 4 stops to the 35th St / Sox Park stop, at which point you are one block away from US Cellular Field.
Excellent, I couldn't have described it any better. I've been going this route for years; I live in Glen Ellyn. I can't imagine taking a car down there now that I've discovered this option.

As an obscure CTA note, they've renamed the "Desplaines Avenue" stop as "Forest Park", so on the way home you just have to be sure you get on a "Forest Park" train at the Jackson station (don't get on a 54/Cermak train or you'll go way out of the way). I think this renaming came along when they renamed all the routes as colors (red, blue, purple, etc - they used to have cool names). The Jackson station still has some signs that indicate which side to board to go to "Desplaines".