White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2004, 07:15 AM
WSI Personality

Default Special Baseball Program on CLTV Tonite at 5 & 8

This ad caught my eye in this morning's Sports section

CLTV is running a special program tonight at 5:00 pm and rerun again at 8:00 called

The City's Pastime Chicago's rich baseball tradition includes the longstanding Sox-Cubs rivalry.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 06-18-2004, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59
This ad caught my eye in this morning's Sports section

CLTV is running a special program tonight at 5:00 pm and rerun again at 8:00 called

The City's Pastime Chicago's rich baseball tradition includes the longstanding Sox-Cubs rivalry.

THE CHICAGO MEDIA: (in unison) RIVALRY!! How dare they say there's a
rivalry!! The producer must be a JEALOUS SOX FAN!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
WSI Personality

Default Chicago Tribune Magazine (Baseball in Chgo)

Today's Chicago Tribune Magazine is a companion piece to the Program that aired on CLTV over the weekend. There's lots of nice Chicago baseball photos and anecdotes. If you don't have today's Tribune run out and get one, it's worth it just to get this magazine, it's a keepsake I tell ya!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:58 AM
WSI Personality

I actually bothered to watch the program. It was nothing special.

There was no bias for either of the two teams. But because it was interlaced with so many commercials, the various segments were so short and lacking in information that there just wasn't much substance to it.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jortafan
I actually bothered to watch the program. It was nothing special.

There was no bias for either of the two teams. But because it was interlaced with so many commercials, the various segments were so short and lacking in information that there just wasn't much substance to it.
At least they interviewed Nancy. The low point was where they asked, "Is there a Black Sox curse?" Typical crap from the Tribune Co.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 PM
WSI Guru

Hal:

What makes you so sure there isn't one? Care to go over the freak instances, bizarre injuries and goofy things that have happened to this franchise since 1920?

Lip
Old 06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Personally I believe one of the salient differences between Sox and Cubs fans is our utter disbelief in "curses" causing our team's lousy play. We've sucked for nearly as long as the Lovable Losers, and yet you never hear a Sox Fan say the losing is lovable or blame the losses on anything but lousy play and lousy management.

God Bless Chicago's steely-eyed realists. When our team sucks, we're usually the very first ones to admit it.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Personally I believe one of the salient differences between Sox and Cubs fans is our utter disbelief in "curses" causing our team's lousy play. We've sucked for nearly as long as the Lovable Losers, and yet you never hear a Sox Fan say the losing is lovable or blame the losses on anything but lousy play and lousy management.
Tell that to the "DJ hexed us" crowd.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Hal:

What makes you so sure there isn't one? Care to go over the freak instances, bizarre injuries and goofy things that have happened to this franchise since 1920?

Lip
There has been stuff like that since before 1920. Remember the 1906 pennant flag being raised and the pole breaking? Rich Lindberg called it the "Comiskey Curse" in one of his books. Knowing Rich, I don't think he really believed it.

I attribute it to H. Vickery's law (see the WSI dictionary).
Old 06-24-2004, 07:56 AM
WSI Personality

Default Baseball in Chicago

I thought the program was pretty good, it covered all the major events throughout Chicago's storied baseball history, and it also unearthed some old footage I had never seen before, so that was a plus.

I especially liked the look back at Bill Veeck and the often overlooked Negro Leagues.

The Tribune has a special page dedicated to Chicago Baseball. So if you missed the show or didn't get the Sunday Tribune Magazine you can see it here. You have to be a registered member to access their website. But it's free to register.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...4509.htmlstory