White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Mets get Hidalgo from 'Stros

this doesnt really involve the sox much, but the mets did supposedly have interest in maggs. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1823843 . It is Hidalgo and 4 million for David Weathers.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Rich is only guarnteed 2 million next year. I doubt the Mets/Houston will opt for the $15 million option.
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawg_77
Rich is only guarnteed 2 million next year. I doubt the Mets/Houston will opt for the $15 million option.
Hidalgo slumped pretty badly before picking it up late last year. Interesting move. Astros must need bullpen help badly.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
Hidalgo slumped pretty badly before picking it up late last year. Interesting move. Astros must need bullpen help badly.
They do.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Interestingly enough, this deal does involve the Sox- in a way. By acquiring Hidalgo, the Mets will no longer pursue Magglio Ordonez in the offseason (their outfield will be set with Floyd-Cameron-Hidalgo). That leaves one less big-market suitor for Mags and may give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him.

Great trade for the Mets. Hidalgo is still relatively young (28 in July). He's had some down years, but his career OPS+ is very good (119) and he seems like a pretty healthy player. Dave Weathers is a decent enough reliever, but he's nothing special and is struggling a bit this year. IMO, the Astros could have gotten much more for Hidalgo.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEdward
Interestingly enough, this deal does involve the Sox- in a way. By acquiring Hidalgo, the Mets will no longer pursue Magglio Ordonez in the offseason (their outfield will be set with Floyd-Cameron-Hidalgo). That leaves one less big-market suitor for Mags and may give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him.
The Mets would be stupid to pay Hidalgo 15 million next year. There is no way he warrents that on an open market. They may try to resign him after no accepting the option, but that isn't guaranteed, so the Mets still can be players for Hidalgo.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
WSI Personality

I would guess that given the choice of paying Maggs $15MM or Richard "freakin'" Hidalgo $15MM, anyone w/ 1/2 a brain would opt for Maggs.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
WSI Personality

I'm waiting for the thread stating the Sox shoulda got these players. Seems like everytime there is movement in the MLB, there are people on this board who say it is a opportunity passed by the sox.

For me, I say, who cares about this deal?!?!?! Everyone knew he was going somewhere, and with a contract like his, I can't be surprised it was to a NY team.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas1974
I would guess that given the choice of paying Maggs $15MM or Richard "freakin'" Hidalgo $15MM, anyone w/ 1/2 a brain would opt for Maggs.
If I had to pay either of them $15M, I would remove my entire brain and examine it carefully to see what flaw in the human mind would allow either of these guys to be worth more than Vlad Guerrero.