White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Rules for a save?

The Flubbies beat the Astros 7 to 2 and Jimmy Anderson got the save. I was always under the impression that a save was a 3 run lead. Please explain...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

3 innings with the lead to finish a game size of lead is incidental, or have the tying run in the on deck circle, beyond the usual lead of 3 runs or less and finishing a game
Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Official Physician

I thought the rule was 3 innings or the tying run in the hole--i.e. the batter up after the guy on deck. That is why they also get a save starting the 9th inning with a 3-run lead.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is the current rule.

Also, the official scorer has final discretion. They can choose not to give a save if the pitcher is in their opinion ineffective. Rare that that would happen, but in a 3-inning scenario it is possible.
"A lot of people think I'm arrogant because I believe in myself. I'm not going to apologize for that. I don't care if people dislike me. Screw them. I do things my way...I don't ever expect to fail."--Josh Beckett
Old 06-14-2004, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

The three ways to get a save are as follows:

A. Enter the game with a one, two or three run lead and the pitcher records the last out in a win

B. Three or more innings of effective relief and the pitcher records the last out in a win(official scorer's discretion as to what is or is not effective, but it's almost always awarded)

C. Enter the game with the tying run on deck (not in the hole) and record the last out in a win.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Official Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO

A. Enter the game with a one, two or three run lead and the pitcher records the last out in a win

B. Three or more innings of effective relief and the pitcher records the last out in a win(official scorer's discretion as to what is or is not effective, but it's almost always awarded)

C. Enter the game with the tying run on deck (not in the hole) and record the last out in a win.
I stand corrected.

I don't know where I got that *in the hole* stuff, but for some strange reason I always thought that was the rule.

Still, then, I don't understand why they award a save entering a game with a 3-run lead if the rule is not in the hole, like starting the 9th inning for example. There is no one on base, and the tying run is technically in the hole. But I guess a rule is whatever they choose to make it, doesn't necessarily have to make sense to me.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

hey key note is almost, Wagner didnt get the save in the game where he gave up 4 runs and i believe same happened for smoltz?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Official Physician

[QUOTE=StockdaleForVeep]
Quote:

QUOTE]

hey key note is almost, Wagner didnt get the save in the game where he gave up 4 runs and i believe same happened for smoltz?
Don't remember the score of the Phillie game off the top of my head, but I was at the game where Smoltz blew up. When Smoltzie came in, it was 6-0 so it was not a save situation to begin with.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckett21
Don't remember the score of the Phillie game off the top of my head, but I was at the game where Smoltz blew up. When Smoltzie came in, it was 6-0 so it was not a save situation to begin with.
I'm pretty sure you can't create a save situation out of a non-save situation for yourself.

SMO
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Official Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie
I'm pretty sure you can't create a save situation out of a non-save situation for yourself.

SMO

"Damn."
Old 06-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckett21
I believe the phillies beat us same score we beat them, 13-11, wagner came in cuz he just came off the dl and the score was 13-7 or 13-6.

Question, even tho its not a save if they end it, if they end up giving up the tieing run, does it rank as a blown save?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, you can. If, for example, a relief pitcher comes on and gives up a single and puts him into that save situation, and he then goes on to get the final out(s), he'll generally get the save.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmouth
Yeah, you can. If, for example, a relief pitcher comes on and gives up a single and puts him into that save situation, and he then goes on to get the final out(s), he'll generally get the save.
I'm pretty sure that you're wrong on that, unless the single scored enough runs which were credited to the previous pitcher that woulod change the lead to 3 runs or less.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmouth
yeah...

You cannot "create" a save situation for yourself. It's not a 'generally' item, the rules are very specific on when there is a save situation. MRKARNO has summarized them above.

However, you can create a save situation for the guy behind you. If you have a 5 run lead, and you get 2 outs, then you proceed to load up the bases, and then get pulled, the guy behind you has a save situation. 3 on base + 1 batter + 1 on deck = 5 runs to tie the game = save situation. That doesn't happen very often.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Banned

isn't it if your lead minus number of outs left in the game minus runners on base equals zero you are eligible for a save if you complete the game?