White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Wrigleyville Arrests/Citations 2004

The SCORE (Boers & Bernstein) reported that the arrests and citations in Wrigleyville are more than double what they were last year (the home games so far this season compared to the same number last year).

Can someone please post a link to the report? I couldn't find it.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
WSI Personality

Not really suprised, I live near the urinal and not a day goes by I don't see a fight or ambulances in front of a bar after a game. My personal favorite was after a ScRubs/Pirates day game, 3 drunken frat boys were brawling in the middle of the intersectoion of Clark and Addison during rush hour. So picture this, flipflops and cellphones flying all over the place along with punches in the middle of rush hour traffic, pissed off cabbies laying into their horns and dozens of morons smeared with ScRubs logo feces cheering the brawlers on, I'm moving in 6 weeks, yeah I can't wait.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Weren't there arguments made my Cub apologists that since all the games are sold out, there should be less trouble this year since only "serious" fans would buy tickets so early in the season?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
flipflops and cellphones.
I find that really funny. Don't forget the torn hats they purchased for 200 bucks.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:33 AM
WSI Guru

I can't post a link for you, but I read the story on the state wire Friday night. The Associated Press compared the 13 Cub home games in May 2003 with the 13 Cub home games in May 2004. The numbers were as follows:

Citations issued for "minor offenses" (e.g. open containers of alcohol, public urination, etc.)

May 2003: 110
May 2004: 440

Total arrests:

May 2003: 4
May 2004: 25, including a murder across the street from the Shrine

These are some statistics you won't read in your morning Cubune.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:44 AM
MMXXIII

LOL... What I find funniest about threads like these is that when a Sox fan does a little investigation like this they are labeled as a "bitter Sox fan" who hates the Cubs more than he loves the Sox, yet when a Cub fan just makes up complete and utter bull**** (like the South Side being all-white until the 1960s), they are idiolized in a way you'd think they were the first one off the boats at Normandy.

But there's no bias.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
LOL... What I find funniest about threads like these is that when a Sox fan does a little investigation like this they are labeled as a "bitter Sox fan" who hates the Cubs more than he loves the Sox, yet when a Cub fan just makes up complete and utter bull**** (like the South Side being all-white until the 1960s), they are idiolized in a way you'd think they were the first one off the boats at Normandy.

But there's no bias.
LMAO!!! "...first one off the boats at Normandy." Absolutely classic!!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
flipflops and cellphones flying all over the place
This phrase keeps making me chuckle. That is a funny image.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-15-2004, 11:47 AM
WSI Regular

Wrigleyville police figures overlooked?

I forgot about this yesterday, but that's no surprise since it got so little attention. Ron Rapoport made a brief mention of an Associated Press story about arrests outside Wrigley Field in May, comparing last month with May 2003. Here's the item in its entirety:

"Police wrote 240 citations and made 25 arrests outside Wrigley Field in the hours surrounding the Cubs' 13 May home games, reports the Associated Press. In 13 games last May, there were 110 citations and four arrests."

The link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapop...spt-rap14.html

Here's a version of the full AP story that I found in the Downstate Belleville News-Democrat (probably a Cardinals fan doing the good deed in choosing to publish this story): http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...cs/8905061.htm

The AP story may have been in response to a glowing story about the Wrigleyville experience that the Sun-Times published about 10 days ago. This AP story is in much the same vein, except they did more homework.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendimjoey
I forgot about this yesterday, but that's no surprise since it got so little attention. Ron Rapoport made a brief mention of an Associated Press story about arrests outside Wrigley Field in May, comparing last month with May 2003. Here's the item in its entirety:

"Police wrote 240 citations and made 25 arrests outside Wrigley Field in the hours surrounding the Cubs' 13 May home games, reports the Associated Press. In 13 games last May, there were 110 citations and four arrests."

The link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapop...spt-rap14.html

Here's a version of the full AP story that I found in the Downstate Belleville News-Democrat (probably a Cardinals fan doing the good deed in choosing to publish this story): http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...cs/8905061.htm

The AP story may have been in response to a glowing story about the Wrigleyville experience that the Sun-Times published about 10 days ago. This AP story is in much the same vein, except they did more homework.
I posted yesterday looking for this information. Thanks for digging it up. I've been waiting for the Cubune to report this...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
I posted yesterday looking for this information. Thanks for digging it up. I've been waiting for the Cubune to report this...
No problem. I should have checked in here before starting a thread in the Clubhouse. I'm new. I'll learn. Thanks to the mods for moving my post over here.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendimjoey
No problem. I should have checked in here before starting a thread in the Clubhouse. I'm new. I'll learn. Thanks to the mods for moving my post over here.
No problem. Thanks for the good information.