White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Team Do You Hate The Most
Cubs 53 77.94%
Yankees 15 22.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2004, 04:03 AM
WSI Regular

Default What Team Do You Hate Most

I have always hated the Yankees the most out of every baseball team until one revelation last season. I was watching the Cubs-Yankees game and I found myself cheering for the Yankees. I decided I hate the cubs the most out of all teams. I am wondering what others think.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Cubs

BTW, I'm not the world's formost grammarian, but even I know it's 2 = more 3+ = most.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Cubs!

This was easy for me. Being an American League fan, as a kid nevermind that the Yankees always won the pennant, I rooted for them come World Series time.
When Divisions came into the picture it made our chief rivals constantly changing.....A's, Twins, Indians, Twins again....etc., etc.
One thing never changes, the Cubs are always the Cubs. They're always there and I'll always hate them.
Note: Once when I was around 20 years old (around 1970) or so I tried to like the Cubs. I wondered why I hated a team from my own city. It didn't work, not even for 1 game. The feeling of hate toward the Cubs is too deep, it just comes with the territory of being a Sox fan.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Cubs and Red Sox.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-14-2004, 12:11 PM
WSI Prelate

The Lemmings, er, the Cubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemming.jpg (60.5 KB, 9 views)
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

Eternally the Cubs. Lately I have come to hate the Red Sox and cheer on the Yankees since they beat the Red Sox down.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

The saddest thing I have ever read is this. I've always felt that anyone who hates the Cubs more than the Yankees and is a fan of an American League team doens't grasp how baseball works.

We compete with the Yankees. We do not compete with the Cubs, sans a few interleague games, and a possible World Series. The Yankees are more important.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

As a fan of the AL, it would make sense to hate the Cubs more than the Yankees. When the World Series comes around, I would assume most of us root for the American League representative b/c it reflects well on the White Sox and the rest of the AL teams. Using this logic, there are going to be many instances when you are forced to root for the Yanks (as it is a fact of life that they will be there often). This is not the case with the Cubs and thus, for me, it is easier (and more fun) to hate the Cubs.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj4400
As a fan of the AL, it would make sense to hate the Cubs more than the Yankees. When the World Series comes around, I would assume most of us root for the American League representative b/c it reflects well on the White Sox and the rest of the AL teams. Using this logic, there are going to be many instances when you are forced to root for the Yanks (as it is a fact of life that they will be there often). This is not the case with the Cubs and thus, for me, it is easier (and more fun) to hate the Cubs.
Oh gosh...I would never EVER root for the Yankees or a White Sox rival in the World Series. When the indians were in the world series, I rooted for the Marlins...the only AL team I can think of I rooted for were the Angels, just because it was a good story...but I certainly don't root for White Sox rivals.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJason
The saddest thing I have ever read is this. I've always felt that anyone who hates the Cubs more than the Yankees and is a fan of an American League team doens't grasp how baseball works.

We compete with the Yankees. We do not compete with the Cubs, sans a few interleague games, and a possible World Series. The Yankees are more important.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe we play the Cubs as many times as we play the Yankees
Old 06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
If I'm not mistaken, I believe we play the Cubs as many times as we play the Yankees
And we don't battle the Cubs for a wild card spot, or in early playoff rounds, or have many common opponents, or spent decades sitting in second place behind them, etc.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
And we don't battle the Cubs for a wild card spot, or in early playoff rounds, or have many common opponents, or spent decades sitting in second place behind them, etc.
So a win against the Cubs doesn't count as much as a win against the Yankees does? It's a silly argument anyway, the question was which team do you hate the most, living in Chicago, being a Sox fan, and having to hear the amount of Cubpoganda that I have to put up with, it makes sense for me to loathe the Cubs more than any other franchise, but I was suprised the divisional rivals weren't included in the poll.

Last edited by HebrewHammer; 06-14-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
So a win against the Cubs doesn't count as much as a win against the Yankees does? It's a silly argument anyway, the question was which team do you hate the most, living in Chicago, being a Sox fan, and having to hear the amount of Cubpoganda that I have to put up with, it makes sense for me to loathe the Cubs more than any other franchise, but I was suprised the divisional rivals weren't included in the poll.
I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll never be able to feel the way people in this city do. The Cubs wear Chicago across their chest, and for that I can't hate them. I don't understand how people can. Baseball is a game of leagues, and the Cubs aren't in ours...so who cares? I just don't, can't, etc. I watch the Cubs because I don't mind them and they represent my city and my neighborhood. Are there things about them that bother me? Yeah, but nothing like the team that took the pennant every year while the White Sox sat around in second, nothing like the team that buys whatever it wants, etc.

The Yankees are disgusting, the Cubs are just another team in this city.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll never be able to feel the way people in this city do. The Cubs wear Chicago across their chest, and for that I can't hate them. I don't understand how people can. Baseball is a game of leagues, and the Cubs aren't in ours...so who cares? I just don't, can't, etc. I watch the Cubs because I don't mind them and they represent my city and my neighborhood. Are there things about them that bother me? Yeah, but nothing like the team that took the pennant every year while the White Sox sat around in second, nothing like the team that buys whatever it wants, etc.

The Yankees are disgusting, the Cubs are just another team in this city.
Fair enough. Just because a team has Chicago on their chest does not mean they represent me. I've always disliked the Cubs, but they've only really risen to number one on my hated list this past season because of the endless hype, I guess that's the media and the fans more than the team, but either way I never felt the hype was justified for this team, that and after living amongst their fans for a year I'm completely fed up with these scumbags, I've developed a strong dislike for yuppie alchoholic morons.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The argument goes that your loyalty is to a team, not to a city.