White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default Curse over since 79?

I always find it humerous when the scrubs bring up curses. One belief how to end it was if a former cub got a world series ring. So many claimed the curse was officially over when grace, mike morgan and i think 1 other won with arizona. But if this is true that its due to a cub player winning, then this curse has been over since 79 and the team just makes excuses for sucking.

After learning my friends father is the mgr for the newark bears, i researched to see "whos he crappin"

His father is Bill Madlock jr, 3b after ron santo retired. He has some impressive numbers, lot of batting titles and when he left he won a world series with pitt in 79. Heh, maybe i should call up mike north, state this and go "cubs? who you crappin"
Old 06-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleForVeep
I always find it humerous when the scrubs bring up curses. One belief how to end it was if a former cub got a world series ring. So many claimed the curse was officially over when grace, mike morgan and i think 1 other won with arizona. But if this is true that its due to a cub player winning, then this curse has been over since 79 and the team just makes excuses for sucking.

After learning my friends father is the mgr for the newark bears, i researched to see "whos he crappin"

His father is Bill Madlock jr, 3b after ron santo retired. He has some impressive numbers, lot of batting titles and when he left he won a world series with pitt in 79. Heh, maybe i should call up mike north, state this and go "cubs? who you crappin"
actually, there's a statistically based system that states that no team with 3 ex-flubbies on the team has won the WS in a long time. In the rare incidents where it did happen, the other team had more. Now this has been disproven twice, IIRC (once by the D-backs a few years ago). So, there have been incidents when teams won with ex-flubbies, but once you get to 3, it's almost impossible to do...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
actually, there's a statistically based system that states that no team with 3 ex-flubbies on the team has won the WS in a long time. In the rare incidents where it did happen, the other team had more. Now this has been disproven twice, IIRC (once by the D-backs a few years ago). So, there have been incidents when teams won with ex-flubbies, but once you get to 3, it's almost impossible to do...
Ahh, didnt know u neded the triumverete, thanx
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm not a baseball occultist, but I play one on TV. The following teams are presently cursed:

Boston Red Sox (Curse of the Bambino 1920)
Chicago Cubs (Curse of the Billy Goat 1945)
Cleveland Indians (Curse of Rocky Colavito 1960)
Hanshin Tigers (Japan -- Curse of the Colonel 1985)

...and there may also be a couple of less-powerful hexes at play for the following teams:

Oakland Athletics (Billy Beane Jinx)
New York Yankees (Don Mattingley Jinx)
Old 06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

The Cubs traded Lou Brock to the Cardinals during the 1964 season and the Cards won the Series that year!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter
The Cubs traded Lou Brock to the Cardinals during the 1964 season and the Cards won the Series that year!
Cubbie apologists bemoan that trade as one where the Cubbies were shafted. Perhaps sometimes when a player "escapes" certain doom by leaving the Cubbies early enough, he brings a positive mojo to his new team.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Fisk
I'm not a baseball occultist, but I play one on TV. The following teams are presently cursed:

...and there may also be a couple of less-powerful hexes at play for the following teams:

Might as well add the Curse of the Black Sox, the baseball gods are harse and demand penitence for that one.
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawg_77
Might as well add the Curse of the Black Sox, the baseball gods are harse and demand penitence for that one.
I believe the Curse of the Black Sox 1919 ended in 1991, when the Sox began play in New Comiskey/USCF. For that same reason, Cleveland should be struck from the list since they have new digs too.

*big sigh of relief in Cleveland*

Of course, all of this is horse droppings if you don't believe in the power of curses.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:12 PM
WSI Guru

The "Curse Of The Black Sox," will go for 100 years. It won't be over until 2019.

Lip
Old 06-14-2004, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
The "Curse Of The Black Sox," will go for 100 years. It won't be over until 2019.

Lip
LipMan, of course, is an adherent of the Apocalyptic School of Curseology, whilst I'm of the Optimistic School of Curseology. Lip you heretic!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

Whats the yankee hex? Winning countless world series' and being hated by most baseball fans?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe the Curse of the Black Sox 1919 ended in 1991, when the Sox began play in New Comiskey/USCF. For that same reason, Cleveland should be struck from the list since they have new digs too.

*big sigh of relief in Cleveland*

Of course, all of this is horse droppings if you don't believe in the power of curses.
I've heard of a gypsy cursing the sox in 1920 for the remainder of the century. That certainly held up if it really happened. And the 2000 playoffs can be explained because it was simply still the same century (there was no year zero, so every 01 year technically begins the new century).

It seems like whenever the Sox make the playoffs they choke, but even more consistent is that they become completely unable to play their game the way they did with success during the regular season....
  • In 59, Dodger catcher Jonny Roseboro shut their running game down completely. And that pretty much told the tale of that series.
  • In 83, they scored 800 runs, which was fantastic at the time, but scored like 5 runs in the four games.
  • In 93, it was all about our pitching, especially Black Jack who was one of the top 3 pitchers in baseball no doubt. He lost both his starts..and quite handily if I remember correctly.
  • Then we all remember 2000 where we just couldn't hit a damn thing. I mean, Thomas going 0-9? Also surprising is that he only had 9 official at-bats. That's an indication of how the rest of the lineup fared. If you don't believe in curses, that series above all should make you second-guess yourself on that. How could the whole lineup just completely disappear like that? Seattle did not have great pitching at all. We saw a young Garcia in his second year in the big leagues, then very mediocre Paul Abbott, whose only success was the direct result of pitching in Safeco (which he didn't during that series), then the third game was just a case of Sele owning us as usual. What sucks is that we held a lead in every game and scored first in two of the three. God I wish that series could just be erased from history.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:

Rich Lindberg once claimed the Sox were victims of the Comiskey Curse, but I think I've disproven it with H. Vickery's law (see the WSI Dictionary). It's not a curse. It's a scientific phenomenon.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1

Lip
The Lip negativity campaign continues.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleForVeep
Whats the yankee hex? Winning countless world series' and being hated by most baseball fans?
The "Don Mattingly Jinx" refers to the fact that the Yankees have won several WS Titles since 1996, the year after Mattingly retired after spending thirteen seasons in New York. Mattingly was a great player, but one of the knocks against him was that he reached post-season play only once.