White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default Kerry Wood

Alright folks, Im going to need your help on this one. While at the TB Giants game last night a friend asked me if I thought Wood was a good pitcher. I replied, no hes overrated. I also said MB was a better pitcher. Now since I only get to watch a handful of games when they pitch, who is the better one and what should i say to this guy?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Banned

move this to parking lot please
Old 06-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Banned

I was in this argument, (through AIM) and this guy was a loser. He really thought he knew his stuff, and I told him to stop believing what Peter Gammons tell him and just look at the facts. He refused. I think CyYoung is looking for some really good material to blast this guy with. I said all I could, and apparently my arguments weren't good enough for this guy.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:04 AM
WSI Regular

This is Kerry's 7th season with the Cubs. His best year was in 2003 when he posted 14 wins. The same win total that Danny Wright had in 2002.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Kerry Wood is a good pitcher, there is no debating that. However, he is probably the most over-rated player in the Major Leagues.

He is often injured, throws too many pitches in too few innings and has made the most of his twenty strike out game.

With that said, he has really good stuff, is a stand-up guy and I would put him in a Sox jersey in a second.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

Kerry Wood is the third of fourth pitcher on the Cubs staff when everyone is healthy.
As much as you can say about Prior he's got the most potential.
Zambrano is really solid( I would love to see him on the southside)
And Maddux is still Maddux.
Wood will never win 20 games because of how hard he throws, suspect mechanics and a .10 cent head.
He is solid though but in no way in the top 10 of pitchers inthe NL.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

On his best day he is better than Buhrle. You rarely get his best day. He is also injured too often and is a definite risk for future arm trouble.

Saying he would be third on that Cub staff is not insult. Regardless of how much Sox fans dismiss Prior, he is, right now one of the better pitchers in the league. I think Zambrano is like Kerry Wood with a brain. He should be an All Star this year. I think you could argue that both of these guys are in the top 15 starters in the league

The thing I like about Burhle is that he seems to keep the Sox in the game even on his bad days.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Banned

AL vs. NL stats can be misleading. Not to take away from Zambrano, because his ERA is very low this year, but they also don't have to pitch to a DH. That can make a BIG difference in a big inning. Plus, the AL is much more competitive than the NL, as far as caliber of teams.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxFan76
AL vs. NL stats can be misleading. Not to take away from Zambrano, because his ERA is very low this year, but they also don't have to pitch to a DH. That can make a BIG difference in a big inning. Plus, the AL is much more competitive than the NL, as far as caliber of teams.
You also have to think that Fact is somewhat negated because the Cubs pitchers never get to face the Cubs hitters...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxFan76
This isn't scientific but I just add a run to NL pitchers or subtract a run off the ERA to try and project what'd they do in the other league.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Banned

When wood has his A game going then id say perhaps. But something ive noticed about him and clement, esp in the cubs\sox series'. The second they are knocked out of their groove\have runners on, they fall to pieces and start throwin wild left and right.

Buehrle is more reliable and quicker.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:41 AM
WSI Regular

I agree. Wood seems to walk too many guys. I gotta go with MB. He keeps his team in the game and he doesn't walk guys.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727
I agree. Wood seems to walk too many guys. I gotta go with MB. He keeps his team in the game and he doesn't walk guys.
Not even walks, its wild pitches, that will kill more than any walk if you got runners on. They cannot remain consistant when baserunning pressure is present. Plus wood and clement are the types of power pitchers doomed to injuries. Without using clemens, nearly every fireball pitcher sufferes some severe arm setback in their carrers, for kw, took what....1 season?
Old 06-13-2004, 02:57 AM
Banned

MB has won 20 games in a season and will do it again this year. Pitches a game quicker than anyone in the league, and effectively. No contest.

>
Old 06-13-2004, 03:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
MB has won 20 games in a season and will do it again this year. Pitches a game quicker than anyone in the league, and effectively. No contest.

>
Buehrle has never won 20 games in a season, he won 19. Buehrle is a better pitcher then wood. I've always thought wood is overrated because he's very inconsistant. One night he's pedro martinez the next he's danny wright. Wood is way to inconsistant be considered one of the best pitchers in baseball. IMO, he's not even close to a top pitcher in the league, I'd take Mark over him any day.