White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default More Sox Bashing from a Cub fan

Maybe this belongs in the parking lot. Another article by a Cub fan taking cheap shots at Sox fans. Sounds like this fan moved to Chicago and adopted the Cubbies and decided that anything south of Madison St. is decaying. This person didn't have the guts to list her e-mail address, but the person who runs this website (a Sox fan) lists an email address.

http://www.zulkey.com/diary_archive_051204.html

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 06-10-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

My first beef is that the supposed "cub fan" is really an Indians fan...hmmmm...that is definitely unbiased. Why didn't we have a Cardinal fan living in Chicago write about the Sox?

From the Indian fan:
Quote:
But both the Cubs and the Indians teams developed lots of fans who come out for a ball game, no matter the outcome.
Is this chick delusional? Before "The Jake" and the success of the Indians in the 90's, they drew more gnats than fans (remember Ozzie swatting them away in the field?). Now that the Indians are losing again, the Jake isn't selling out anymore. Someone needs to get this woman off of the blue and red kool-aid.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't even know what to say about what that lady wrote. She bases all of her reasoning on the location of Comiskey. It amazes me that she can even put complete sentences together.

My favorite line...

Quote:
This is not a sport about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It's about sitting in the sun and drinking a cold beer and listening for the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd.
This is not a sport of winning and losing?? Isn't that what defines a sport?????
Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxFan78
I don't even know what to say about what that lady wrote. She bases all of her reasoning on the location of Comiskey. It amazes me that she can even put complete sentences together.

This is not a sport of winning and losing?? Isn't that what defines a sport?????
Yeah, winning's for losers anyway.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Banned

If you click on her name it links to another article on her and she's a computer geek. Being a computer geek a girl and a cub fan explains it all. No offense to the 5% of women that actually know baseball, especially since i think they all are WSI members.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's about sitting in the sun and drinking a cold beer and listening for the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd.
Darn right, you have to listen for the crack of the bat, because you're obviously not watching the game.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

She may be that girl who cried behind the dugout after game 7 last season.

Doubtful, but still...it's at least plauisble.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM
WSI Regular

I love how she thinks the south side had absolutely no black population until the seventies.

Way to be culturally sensitive and aware of your adopted hometown's history!

The north siders did NOT 'stay put', either.

Wherever 'Annie Logue' is, she needs to be held accountable for her garbage. I can't stand when published authors lie and get away with it. I also can't stand when people move to our city and don't bother to learn the history.

Stop treating our hometown like a resort. It's not our fault you couldn't get a media job in New York.

If you're going to publish garbage, you should always grant people the right of reply.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
The South Side experienced one of the most profound demographic shifts in history in the 1960s, when it went from being almost entirely white to almost entirely black.
I'm getting so tired of historical inaccuracies all over this board. It serves to remind me why my career as a history teacher was so brief and unhappy. The whole city of Chicago has experienced profound demographic shifts from its very beginnings. Chicago is the quintessential American city, and as such has always been a mobile restless place where neighborhood change is a constant not an exception. The south side has had "profound demographic shifts" beginning long before the 1960's. The south side of Chicago hasn't been "almost entirely white" for a lot longer than the 1960's. In the 1960's Chicago's black population first topped one million. The south side has had a huge black population since the days of WWI. 47th street was once the epicenter of Bronzeville, rivaling Harlem in the 1920's as a center and a mecca for black business and culture. And besides, if the south side is a home to many minority groups does that make it automatically inferior to yuppified Wrigleyville?

Quote:
During all this, North Siders stayed put, and North Siders stayed loyal to their team. People walk to the stadium, see good baseball, go home.
The north side is no stranger to major demographic shifts. During my time in Chicago I lived in N and NW side areas, including Albany Park, Irving Park, Uptown, Edgewater and Logan Square. None of these areas remotely resembles what they were back in the day.

So the north side is stable and prosperous, flowering in the letters and arts. The south side is a black ghetto and the few Sox fans that remain are in the mold of William Ligue and his ilk. I'm the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet but this is enough to make me plenty . The lady is a dolt.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:37 PM
New At WSI

Actually, aside from the Sox-dumping, Annie is a lovely human being. You'll notice I gave Leonard the last word.

The thing that got me upset were this weekend's Letters to the Editor in Saturday's Tribune . I still fail to understand how Cubs fans find having more butts in the seats somehow superior to being in first place.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkey
Actually, aside from the Sox-dumping, Annie is a lovely human being. You'll notice I gave Leonard the last word.

The thing that got me upset were this weekend's Letters to the Editor in Saturday's Tribune . I still fail to understand how Cubs fans find having more butts in the seats somehow superior to being in first place.

Zulkey, thats just one of countless reasons why their "fans" are some of the worst in professional sports.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Gosh, do you think that Annie Logue ("analog" - non-digital?) is her real name?

By the way, welcome to WSI!!!

SMO
Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM
New At WSI

Oops--having a problem linking. Anyone see this?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mepagenews-utl

I liked the Cubs fan who said "THIS HAPPENS AT THE CELL, TOO!" Because that's what the point of the column is, right?

Last edited by Zulkey; 06-10-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anyone see http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mepagenews-utl ?
It's telling that he considers Cubs fans to be "knowledgeable" when they understand the ball doesn't go as far when the wind is against it as opposed to blowing with it. What great garden of genius is this where one can find such acumen?!

Last edited by samram; 06-10-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oops--having a problem linking. Anyone see this?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mepagenews-utl

I liked the Cubs fan who said "THIS HAPPENS AT THE CELL, TOO!" Because that's what the point of the column is, right?
Interesting that Cub fans like to say that Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs and that Cub fans couldn't care less about the Sox. Yet, in reality, when one of these stories come out, the reaction from Cub fans is often the same old anti-Sox BS. I didn't read the comments, but I can imagine it's full of the same old garbage ..."it's not a problem at The Cell because only 400 people show up there per game".

I'm taking my kids to the Sox game on Sunday, so hopefully we won't hear too many f-words. It's Kids Day - so I'm not too worried about it.