White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Viva Magglio Viva Magglio is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 5,568
Default BREAKING NEWS: NBC 5 reporting fan coming home from USCF stabbed at Blue Line stop

NBC 5 just reported that a fan leaving the ballgame at USCF was stabbed at a Blue Line CTA platform (Washington, I believe). The suspect is a homeless person, and the suspect has been apprehended according to Amy Jacobson. The victim is reported to be in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 PM
eurotrash35 eurotrash35 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 728
Default

what were they doing leaving the game early?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Viva Magglio Viva Magglio is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 5,568
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by eurotrash35
what were they doing leaving the game early?
Oh, maybe the fact that we were too sucky might have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,831
Default

I semi-regularly take that route, among others, home from games and actually feel safer in the Blue Line stops than I do on the Red and Elevated stops.

But I guess feeling and fact are two different things.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,661
Default

That's terrible news. I hope the guy is able to pull through. In the past, I've been leary of taking the el to the loop after Sox night games and then having to walk to Union Station because of all the creeps that hang out down there after hours.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the local media stoop low again and turn this tragedy into another round of Sox bashing. But this has nothing to do with Sox Park safety, that station would have been just as unsafe for someone coming back from a Cubs game or any other evening city outing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Palehose13 Palehose13 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In Milwaukee, hey!
Posts: 10,440
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
It wouldn't surprise me to see the local media stoop low again and turn this tragedy into another round of Sox bashing. But this has nothing to do with Sox Park safety, that station would have been just as unsafe for someone coming back from a Cubs game or any other evening city outing.
Good point. It will be interesting to see how the coverage of the two incidents this year compare.

My thoughts to the victim and his family.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,831
Default

What I hope comes out of this is a call for increased security at those stops. Unfortunately, given that they already identified this incident with the White Sox, it looks like they will be taking the easy way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:37 PM
owensmouth's Avatar
owensmouth owensmouth is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 2,704
Default

Probably will be the front page of the Cubune
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:38 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by owensmouth
Probably will be the front page of the Cubune
Ah yes. The half-page photo of the imposing outline of a knife-wielding madman superimposed on a picture of USCF. I can see it now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:40 PM
valposoxfan valposoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Addison, IL
Posts: 655
Default

If it is the front page of the Tribune I hope that there is an absolute firestorm of controversy. What happened at Wrigley directly involved the game and a fans behavior. This had nothing to do with a fan being unruly and stupid. This is just a psycho trying to hurt someone.
__________________
Jerry, where's our winner and first class organization?

I am the "Voice" of Valparaiso University Volleyball.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
cheeses_h_rice cheeses_h_rice is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Falling off my stool at Puffer's, IL
Posts: 9,168
Default Re: BREAKING NEWS: NBC 5 reporting fan coming home from USCF stabbed at Blue Line sto

Quote:
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
NBC 5 just reported that a fan leaving the ballgame at USCF was stabbed at a Blue Line CTA platform (Washington, I believe). The suspect is a homeless person, and the suspect has been apprehended according to Amy Jacobson. The victim is reported to be in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Wow. That's where, until this past week, I caught the Blue Line home after work every day. I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
StockdaleForVeep StockdaleForVeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago\DeKalb\Granite City
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by valposoxfan
If it is the front page of the Tribune I hope that there is an absolute firestorm of controversy. What happened at Wrigley directly involved the game and a fans behavior. This had nothing to do with a fan being unruly and stupid. This is just a psycho trying to hurt someone.


despite the tragedy, i think they will run prior being shelled as a more horrific travesty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 28,362
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Wow. I took the Green Line from Ogilve to the 35th Bronzeville stop after work, and then I took the Red Line home and got off at Grand. There are usually a ton of Sox fans on the Red Line, so I usually don't feel unsafe if I leave right after the game. Still, crap like this is scary. By the way- the Green Line ride to Bronzeville was ok, but there were a couple of crazy dudes on the train. Only two other guys got off the train that were going to the Sox game. Not sure if I really saved anytime taking the Green Line either. I think it might have almost been as quick for me to just walk briskly over to the Red Line and hop on at State.
__________________


2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
mantis1212 mantis1212 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 1,171
Default

I fail to see how this has anything to do with U.S. Cellular Field and/or the white sox. That stop is in the Loop, nowhere near the park.

If the media is stressing the fact that this person was coming from a white sox game, that is re-god-damn-diculous.

Very sad that someone has been stabbed, but ka-ka happens in a big city. I doubt this even makes the Metro section
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
StockdaleForVeep StockdaleForVeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago\DeKalb\Granite City
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian26
Wow. I took the Green Line from Ogilve to the 35th Bronzeville stop after work, and then I took the Red Line home and got off at Grand. There are usually a ton of Sox fans on the Red Line, so I usually don't feel unsafe if I leave right after the game. Still, crap like this is scary. By the way- the Green Line ride to Bronzeville was ok, but there were a couple of crazy dudes on the train. Only two other guys got off the train that were going to the Sox game. Not sure if I really saved anytime taking the Green Line either. I think it might have almost been as quick for me to just walk briskly over to the Red Line and hop on at State.
This is an isolated incident and it will be blown out of proporitons and people goin "i dont feel safe anymore" etc etc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.