White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2004, 11:05 AM
WSI Regular

Default Cub fan not knowing the game

I've been to plenty of ballgames with casual observers of the game who were just going to go and they understood the game's simple rules. So I was very surprised at the Cub game last night when the season ticket holder I was with didn't understand that when a player is taken out for a new pitcher, pinch-hitter, or pinch-runner that the player taken out can't come back into the game. Forget about even trying to explain the double switch. They do at least partially deserve the rap they get.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

That lack of knowledge from a season ticket holder ?!?

Wow.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, that is a common misconception amongst the Cub faithful. I was watching a game last year with some friends who are Cub fans (well, they were watching - I was barely even paying attention to it). Prior had pitched well for 7 or 8 innings, but when his turn to bat came up in the bottom of the inning, they substituted a pinch-hitter, since the Cubs were trying to get a rally going.

Well, in the top of the next inning, the Cub fans were shocked and amazed that a new pitcher was suddenly throwing there on the mound. "Awww, man, I was hoping they'd let him get a complete game!". I guess seeing the pinch-hitter a few minutes earlier wasn't enough of a clue to them that Prior was done for the night.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is only borderline-related to the topic, but it didn't seem worth its own thread--I caught a glimpse of a female cubs "fan" on TV today who was wearing a hat simply labeled, "BEER." I thought it would make a great tag or something but unfortunately I don't have the technology to do that.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

I have heard people make plans to go to Wrigley and say they didn't care about the game. They just wanted to hang out there.