White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default The Scores baseball expert ?

I tuned into Murph on the Score this morning at around 7:30 and he had on Mickey Mornandini.

Murph asked Morandini a question about Borowski and then segued into the Sox's bull pen situation and asked Mickey what he thought about Shingo as a closer for the Sox.

The Scores baseball expert said ,"I don't follow the White Sox"

I was a bit surprised to hear this, Murph tried to talk Morandini through the question and Morandini said that any left hander with control is effective. I was was now convinced that Morandini does indeed not follow the Sox and is clueless which arm Shingo uses to throw a baseball.

To me this is about as insulting as it gets because I don't believe the local media values me enough as a Sox fan to even try and make an attempt to cater to my baseball desire.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Banned

Any station using Mickey ****ing Morandini as its "baseball expert" deserves what it gets, IMO.

What a joke.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:42 PM
WSI Regular

I heard this as well and was shocked! He couldn't even formulate a basic string of cliches that would at least show he was paying attention! Someone called in later and called them on it. Murph instantly jumped to the defense of the "cub" expert saying that it wasn't his fault...they should have introduced him as a cub expert (huh?) and not a baseball expert...said if people want someone to blame...blame Murph.
I don't like to get hung up on the Cub media bias...but this was really awful...when he pathetically stammered through...I....uh....don't really follow the Sox (trailing off)...I thought I was going to lose it!!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who is the Scores White Sox expert?....the retired mail man from Schaumburg?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I actually did start laughing out loud when I read that Morandini had to admit that he "doesn't really follow the White Sox".
That's HILARIOUS to me.
Maybe they should have him list the teams he follows before his next on-air appearance, so the hosts don't embarrass him by asking a question about a team he "doesn't follow"....HA.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by The Critic
I actually did start laughing out loud when I read that Morandini had to admit that he "doesn't really follow the White Sox".
That's HILARIOUS to me.
Wait a minute. Mickey Morandini doesn't follow the White Sox??

The GREAT MICKEY MORANDINI?

How EVER will we recover from this blow?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Quote:
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Wait a minute. Mickey Morandini doesn't follow the White Sox??

The GREAT MICKEY MORANDINI?

How EVER will we recover from this blow?
What's next, Jeff Blauser hasn't heard of Damaso Marte? Kevin Foster can't name the Sox 4 starters? What a shame...
Old 06-07-2004, 10:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why is anyone surprised at the minor league coverage of anything on 670? Its been over 10 years, its not a trend, Its the latrine of radio frequencies
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Jjav829
What's next, Jeff Blauser hasn't heard of Damaso Marte? Kevin Foster can't name the Sox 4 starters? What a shame...
I was kind of hoping they could get Damon Barryhill, or Steve Ontiveros to come on and share their thoughts on the White Sox ongoing problem in finding a 5th starter.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by SOXPHILE
I was kind of hoping they could get Damon Barryhill, or Steve Ontiveros to come on and share their thoughts on the White Sox ongoing problem in finding a 5th starter.
I thought they were holding out for Hector Villanueva?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by SOXPHILE
Maybe Mick Kelleher is available. I haven't thought of those old Cubs in decades LOL !!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Maybe Mick Kelleher is available. I haven't thought of those old Cubs in decades LOL !!
Mick Kelleher !! LOL !!!! That guy made Craig Grabeck seem tall ! There's a big reason why you, or no one else has thought about those old Cubs for so long- because those Cub teams of the 70's and early 80's were such a powerhouse !!! They rule !
Old 06-08-2004, 01:31 AM
WSI High Priest

I heard Morondini yesterday morning. I thought that Morondini said that he wasn't a fan of the Sox.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-08-2004, 08:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought Jimmy Piersall was their baseball expert. He followed both teams very closely and had great insight stretching even into the minor league systems. In addition he is crazy and he knew it.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

A Sox fan called right after this happened, and they surprisingly took the call. The caller asked Fred is he was "mad about anything," trying to prompt him to say something about this mess. Fred started to respond, but Murph (in typical fashion) cut both of them off, explaining that maybe Morondini was hired to be a cub expert only and that it's not his fault that he knows nothing about the Sox.

Then again, you can't really expect Murphy to be upset that an "expert" only talks about the cubs. He regularly steers ANY conversation towards the cubs, no matter how tangential the connection. For example, this morning they had a Phily expert on to talk about the Sox / Phils series, so Murphy asks him about cub fans booing Patterson.