White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2004, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Bartolo Colon

Anyone else thankful we didn't give this guy a 3 year 36 million dollar contract and probably have to trade Maggs??
His ERA is close to 6 (5.77). Just absolutely terrible this year.

Anyone who got worked up over us not being able to sign him, how do you feel now? Relieved hopefully.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default Re: Bartolo Colon

Quote:
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Anyone else thankful we didn't give this guy a 3 year 36 million dollar contract and probably have to trade Maggs??

Anyone who got worked up over us not being able to sign him, how do you feel now? Relieved hopefully.
with you on that!
Old 06-06-2004, 05:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Re: Bartolo Colon

Quote:

Still ticked about it. Hindsight is always 20/20....many predicted him to have a Cy Young year.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Default Re: Re: Bartolo Colon

Quote:
Originally posted by kittle42
Still ticked about it. Hindsight is always 20/20....many predicted him to have a Cy Young year.
And they were wrong.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Re: Bartolo Colon

Quote:
Originally posted by kittle42
Well they were way off base. Colon has had one great year in 2002 (the year before we got him which he posted a 2.93 ERA). Outside of that all of his years have looked like the one we got last year out of him, which was pretty good, but not worth 12 million a year, let alone 12.5 for four years, which is what the Angels gave him. I could see how about 8 to 9 million a year might have been reasonable, but people were going pretty crazy when they were blaming KW for not resigning Colon at the stupidly high amount the Angels gave him. I felt at the time that we were offering him too much money and then the Angels went and payed even more!
Old 06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Banned

Amen to that. KW was 100% correct in not risking that much money on someone that has been so inconsistent and injury prone.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 PM
WSI Guru

He'll still win 15 games by the end of the season which right now is about 15 more then the rotating clowns in the 5th starter hole have been winning aren't they?

Lip
Old 06-06-2004, 07:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He'll still win 15 games by the end of the season which right now is about 15 more then the rotating clowns in the 5th starter hole have been winning aren't they?

Lip
Well if he could only win 15 games with a 3.87 ERA last year for us, how would he have won 15 for us this year with a 5+ ERA?? He wouldn'tve. Wins dont have a direct correlation with how a pitcher is pitching
Old 06-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip
Geeze Lip, I don' t know if even King George would want to spend $12 million on a fifth starter.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:40 PM
WSI Regular

I'm very happy that Colon was not signed back. I think Maggs is more important than Colon, so I wasn't too upset when he first signed with the Angels. Now, that I see what we would have gotten, I'm glad that Kenny kept Maggs instead, despite his injury. Our fifth starter spot might be as bad as it can get right now, but I am confident that Kenny will get somebody who will make this team great.
commitments.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Bartolo Colon

Quote:
Well they were way off base. Colon has had one great year in 2002 (the year before we got him which he posted a 2.93 ERA). Outside of that all of his years have looked like the one we got last year out of him, which was pretty good, but not worth 12 million a year, let alone 12.5 for four years, which is what the Angels gave him. I could see how about 8 to 9 million a year might have been reasonable, but people were going pretty crazy when they were blaming KW for not resigning Colon at the stupidly high amount the Angels gave him. I felt at the time that we were offering him too much money and then the Angels went and payed even more!
Very accurate assessment of Colon and the circumstances of his non signing with us this year IMHO.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

You cant make judgements like that saying since "oh colon is bad now, we made a good decision" because he did switch teams and divisions, its a big change. Thats like sayin we did a good thing gettin rid of sirotka because then he threw his shoulder out. Had colon stayed with the sox we coulda been a more dominate team or coulda sucked more. Some guys do better in diff towns, some dont. To relate to Hockey, Hasek sucked on the hawks, got traded and then became good. The opposite can happen too.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
You cant make judgements like that saying since "oh colon is bad now, we made a good decision" because he did switch teams and divisions, its a big change. Thats like sayin we did a good thing gettin rid of sirotka because then he threw his shoulder out. Had colon stayed with the sox we coulda been a more dominate team or coulda sucked more. Some guys do better in diff towns, some dont. To relate to Hockey, Hasek sucked on the hawks, got traded and then became good. The opposite can happen too.
Well then, lets just close down the message boards since they are all conjecture anyway.

With all of the available data, it looks like a stellar move. As for winning 15 games, I think his back will give out before he gets there.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucktown
Amen to that. KW was 100% correct in not risking that much money on someone that has been so inconsistent and injury prone.
KW doesn't really deserve much credit for this. We can thank the greediness of Colon and his agent, and the Angels for overrating and overpaying Colon for his services.

The initial 3 year 36 million dollar contract was actually offered to Colon in Spring Training, and Colon and his agent decided to wait till the end of the year and see how things played out before deciding on whether to accept it or not.

After the White Sox observed Colon's work ethic and his negative effect on the clubhouse, resigning Colon was not a high priority on their list.

For PR reasons, it was leaked that the White Sox had offered Colon 36 million dollars in October, just to make the fans believe that they were making an effort to retain Colon. In reality, however, the offer to Colon was simply the same one that had initially been offered to Colon in ST, and had been left on the table.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

You should read what they're saying about Colon on the Anaheim MLB Board. It's brutal!
Linky