White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2004, 07:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Where's the outrage Grobber?

Les Grobstein went on and on about Sox fans booing Manuel at the All-Star game last year. Chris Berman ridiculed Sox fans on ESPN for booing.

Corrie Patterson is getting booed by cub fans.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub02.html

Cub fans booed the left hander that was picked up in the Cruz trade off the field earlier in the season.

Selective memory Les? more double standard treatment by the national media.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Where's the outrage Grobber?

Quote:
Originally posted by hose
Les Grobstein went on and on about Sox fans booing Manuel at the All-Star game last year. Chris Berman ridiculed Sox fans on ESPN for booing.

Cub fans booed the left hander that was picked up in the Cruz trade off the field earlier in the season.

Although I completely understand why Manuel was booed last year, there's somethingin me that makes me want to tell somebody who boos somebody who is on thier team of choice "Lets see you do better"
Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Re: Where's the outrage Grobber?

Quote:
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Although I completely understand why Manuel was booed last year, there's somethingin me that makes me want to tell somebody who boos somebody who is on thier team of choice "Lets see you do better"
I was in a verbal conformtation in 2002 with a guy who booed Frank. I'm sorry, but I can't boo someone who has done so much for the White Sox and I can't boo anyone on my team.

However, I do see hose's point...our fans get raked across the coals for booing and the media isn't making a big deal about this?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Post Hey Grobber...

I guess I'll have to call you out on this one, Les. If you think about it, there's no excuse for this...according to your logic from last year's ASG. Remember all the grief you gave Sox fans about booing Manuel at the ASG last year...in spite of his mismanagement of the team getting momentum in the standings with series wins over the Cubs and Minnesota. All momentum was lost when the Sox were SWEPT by Tampa Bay (Koch's famous homer ball to Carl Crawford in the first of that 3-game series), lost 2 out of 3 to Detroit (including a 1-0 loss with Loaiza pitching his lights out), and losing 2 out of 4 to Cleveland.

I can somewhat understand Chris Berman saying something about the booing back then...he doesn't follow Chicago sports as closely as you or I. But considering it was the first time Sox fans saw Manuel after the road trip fiasco, why should have there been any other reaction. Granted, it was the All-Star Game, but so what? Fans paid hundreds...if not thousands of dollars to watch that game, and I think they have a right to voice their opinions pro or con.

Cubs fans also have a right to voice their opinions, too. Corey Patterson got a well-deserved round of boos after striking out TWICE with the bases loaded in one of the Cubs' losses to Houston this week. But, there's no criticism here. What's up, Les? Is it okay for one side of town's fans to let loose when one of theirs messes up, but not okay for the other side of town? If Corey was an all-star, and the game was at Wrigley, how would he have been received after his free-swinging antics? Let Berman slam Cubs fans for that, and I'll have more respect for him. Until then, he, and other critics need to either call it fair both ways or not say anything at all.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Re: Re: Where's the outrage Grobber?

Quote:
Originally posted by Palehose13
I was in a verbal conformtation in 2002 with a guy who booed Frank. I'm sorry, but I can't boo someone who has done so much for the White Sox and I can't boo anyone on my team.
No one is above booing. I always boo. It's my right as a fan if a professional makes a boneheaded move, doesn't, IMHO, put forth a respectable effort, manages his team like a little league team, etc.

That includes Frank Thomas. Thomas should have been booed last season when his teammates needed him and he goes to the media saying that he's a, "HR hitter..... that's what I'm going to do from now on."

Another player commonly bashed on this board has the same philosophy and he thinks he's above a rehab assignment.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:03 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Booing the effort or lack there of is OK. Booing the player is not (unless its Royce Clayton!).
Old 06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Where's the outrage Grobber?

Quote:
Originally posted by CubKilla
No one is above booing. I always boo. It's my right as a fan if a professional makes a boneheaded move, doesn't, IMHO, put forth a respectable effort, manages his team like a little league team, etc.

That includes Frank Thomas. Thomas should have been booed last season when his teammates needed him and he goes to the media saying that he's a, "HR hitter..... that's what I'm going to do from now on."

Another player commonly bashed on this board has the same philosophy and he thinks he's above a rehab assignment.
The confrontation was not because the guy was booing, but because of what he was saying about Frank. I personally don't boo, but am not one that is "against" it or finds it embarrassing. I just don't do it.

I don't think Frank ever stated that he was above booing. In fact, I believe he said something like "they boo me when I play bad and they love me when I am good" and didn't seem upset about it. I am the one that has a problem with booing Frank. IMHO, it is like booing Baines and Fisk (which I hope to never hear), but once again...this is just MHO. You wanna boo, have it. I won't.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Jerry Manual deserved to get booed at the All-Star game. The team totally sucked in the first half, made a run in the second half, then totally folded late in the season. The GM must have been doing some boos himself, because he fired him right after the season. Chris Berman and the Grobber have this idea that the All-Star game is not for booing, and they are right, execpt for Cubs players and Jerry Manual. It's that simple.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Les?..............Les??......................Les?? ?!.............................................Whe re are you, Les???
I wanna see you explain yourself outta this one.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
Les?..............Les??......................Les?? ?!.............................................Whe re are you, Les???
I wanna see you explain yourself outta this one.
I don't know if you heard or not but Prior is making his season Debut today. My guess is anyone with a Media pass is scrabling to see how far they can get up his ### before the game starts.... Here's to the Pirates chasing him out of the game in the first... or even better Baker not taking him out until after his complete game 165 pitch 3-2 Loss
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

Default Re: Hey Grobber...

Quote:
Originally posted by hsnterprize
[COLOR=red]All momentum was lost when the Sox were SWEPT by Tampa Bay (Koch's famous homer ball to Carl Crawford in the first of that 3-game series), lost 2 out of 3 to Detroit (including a 1-0 loss with Loaiza pitching his lights out), and losing 2 out of 4 to Cleveland.
[COLOR]
You got that backwards. We were swept by the worst team in baseball ( I still here about it today) and lost 2 of 3 in Tampa. Koch blew game one, corpseball was in full effect in game 2, then all of the sudden we score 11 runs expecting that to carry over into the Detroit series. Damn that 2003 season angers me.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I don't know if you heard or not but Prior is making his season Debut today. My guess is anyone with a Media pass is scrabling to see how far they can get up his ### before the game starts.... Here's to the Pirates chasing him out of the game in the first... or even better Baker not taking him out until after his complete game 165 pitch 3-2 Loss
Prior?.......Prior??....Hmmmmm......nope never heard of him!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:28 PM
WSI Personality

DOU-BLE STAN-DARD <CLAP><CLAP><CLAP,CLAP,CLAP>
Old 06-04-2004, 01:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
DOU-BLE STAN-DARD <CLAP><CLAP><CLAP,CLAP,CLAP>

ROTFLMAO!!!

Cheers to you..
Old 06-04-2004, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Where's the outrage Grobber?

Quote:
Originally posted by hose

Do you expect a reply?

That shmuck won't respond to direct criticism with anything other than "Cubs have more fans, that's why they get preferential treatement" load of crap.