Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 AM
WSI Regular

Default Kenny vs. Schuler

I know there are things about Kenny that people don't like. Arrogance, impuslivness. But you have to admit, he is a total contrast from Schu. Case in point, his comments in the SunTimes where he said he is not afraid to sacrifice propsects for a World Series title.
Can you imagine Schu pulling off what Kenny did last year...His idea of pulling the trigger in 2000 was to get Ken Hill. And the Brook Fordyce trade..please...did we really need Harold Baines...
When you talk about mortgaging the farm, how ascertainable are baseball prospects anyway?
I have a feeling Kenny is going to do something BIG before July!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Hopefully by "big" he means Livan Hernandez, Steve Finley and a closer.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
just give me the first two, and I'll be thrilled. Our closers really have not been much a problem lately.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:29 PM
rahulsekhar

Quote:
Not sure if he really qualifies, but Mantei's on the outs in 'Zona, and if e were willing to take on his contract, I bet we could get him+Finely relatively cheaply.

Of course, if he keeps blowing saves for us like he did in Zona, then it doesn't do us any good.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My realistic wish list (aka that wont break the bank, our team or our farm system too badly) currently includes Livan, Finley and Braden Looper
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 05-26-2004, 02:02 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MRKARNO
My realistic wish list (aka that wont break the bank, our team or our farm system too badly) currently includes Livan, Finley and Braden Looper
What's with the Livan lovefest? He consistantly gives up more hits than innings pitched and has a career ERA of 4.16. And lets not forget that he pitches in the NL so his stats will be even more bloated in the AL. Chances are that if we pick him up we will have to overpay and he'll spend the rest of the year moving his ERA back up to his career average.

If we're going to overpay, lets overpay for a bonafide stud. We need a stopper at the top of the rotation that opponents fear. This rotation reminds me way too much of the 2000 rotation. Solid, yet unspectacular pitching with ERA's around 4.00 running four pitchers deep. Randy Johnson, if he is available and willing to move, should be our top target.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Kenny vs. Schuler

Quote:
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
And the Brook Fordyce trade..please...did we really need Harold Baines...
Actually, the Brook Fordyce trade brought over Harold Baines and Charles Johnson. Charles was the reason the trade was made. Charles turned out to be a really good pick up. In 44 games with the Sox, he hit .326 with 10 HR's and 36 RBI's and he brought his gold glove behind the plate. Not that I'm defending Shu, but he deserves credit for that move.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Kenny vs. Schuler

Quote:
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I know there are things about Kenny that people don't like. Arrogance, impuslivness. But you have to admit, he is a total contrast from Schu. Case in point, his comments in the SunTimes where he said he is not afraid to sacrifice propsects for a World Series title.
Can you imagine Schu pulling off what Kenny did last year...His idea of pulling the trigger in 2000 was to get Ken Hill.
...and All-Star Charles Johnson for a song. I like the Kenny always wants to win but sometimes he seems to go out of his way to make moves almost for P.R. purposes when we really don't have that much of a shot. His obsession with veterans (Clayton, Ritchie) for the sake of having veterans is well documented.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:21 PM
WSI Regular

Default Re: Re: Kenny vs. Schuler

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Actually, the Brook Fordyce trade brought over Harold Baines and Charles Johnson. Charles was the reason the trade was made. Charles turned out to be a really good pick up. In 44 games with the Sox, he hit .326 with 10 HR's and 36 RBI's and he brought his gold glove behind the plate. Not that I'm defending Shu, but he deserves credit for that move.
Too bad we needed a pitcher to replace Cal Eldred who was hurting and not more firepower from behind the plate. I'll give Schu credit for getting a productive player, but not for getting us what we needed to go deep in the playoffs.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Re: Re: Kenny vs. Schuler

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Too bad we needed a pitcher to replace Cal Eldred who was hurting and not more firepower from behind the plate. I'll give Schu credit for getting a productive player, but not for getting us what we needed to go deep in the playoffs.
We should have got David Wells in 2000...we were one year late.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 05-26-2004, 02:47 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally posted by jabrch
just give me the first two, and I'll be thrilled. Our closers really have not been much a problem lately.
You can never have enough pitching. I'll take three more relievers if we can get 'em.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 05-26-2004, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Randy Johnson, if he is available and willing to move, should be our top target.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=1809770

I hope this article explains to you why we have a zero chance in hell of getting Randy Johnson and why we shouldn't even be looking towards that direction. The thing about Livan is that he comes cheap in terms of money and he has a contract that goes for 3.5 more years, plus he's sort of like a Bartolo Colon type of pitcher (one that will give you 220ish innings per year). He is a great fit for us IMO. If we want a clear no. 1 starter, we're gonna have to give up a ton to get one and pay a ton in terms of money to that player. It just doesnt make sense for the Sox to do that and who exactly besides Johnson do you think we can get? Dont bother mentioning anyone from Oakland, Boston, NY, Anaheim, Cubs, Houston or Marlins because none of these teams are trading away anything.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Banned

One big difference seems to be that KW does his job at the office, while Schu seemed to do his job from the golf course.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by samram
One big difference seems to be that KW does his job at the office, while Schu seemed to do his job from the golf course.

"And the buffet table."
Old 05-26-2004, 06:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

For the record, I like KW.

I hope one of the things he does is gets us a major league third baseman.

Of course we need another starter and a left handed bat. We also need more speed. Konerko and Crede on the same team really slows the team down. And Crede doesn't even hustle!