White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Rowand a good defender in Centerfield?
Yes 40 43.96%
No 51 56.04%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default Rowand Poll

Is Rowand a good defending CF?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

The mere fact he doesn't know where he is on the playing field is proof enough he is a terrible outfielder. He wouldn't have earned his nickname "Crash" around here if he wasn't. Furthermore he is known as "Robocop" by his teammates for this exact same deficiency. But I'm guessing the Friends of Crash won't believe the opinions of major league ballplayers either, so what's the point.

Jousting at windmills with this crowd...

Old 05-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

it's clear that the haters let hitting cloud their judgement.
statistically (i hardly EVER see him play) he's as good as most cf's.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
But I'm guessing the Friends of Crash won't believe the opinions of major league ballplayers either, so what's the point.
i'm certainly willing to entertain some qoutes of teammates that think he's a poor fielder.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by idseer
i'm certainly willing to entertain some qoutes of teammates that think he's a poor fielder.
As would I. You certainly won't get any from Frank Thomas.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by SEALgep
As would I. You certainly won't get any from Frank Thomas.
Okay, now what does Frank ahve to do with this subject?

Just for the record, would you guys who want to hear teammate quotes, please reference the last time you heard ANY MLB player rip on a current teammate for anything in public?

If you can actually find one of those, can you go one step further and mention when you heard a player rip on his current teammate for actions performed ON the field (hitting, defense, etc.) and not for off the field behavior.

I would love a link if you can find one.

I edited the poll just slightly to put the word "Center" in front of "fielder" as that is what we are actually discussing.

I will now delete my poll...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally posted by idseer
The "Robocop" nickname was attributed to Sox teammates of his back in 2001 when he got his first auditions with the Sox. I believe the quotes came from Paul Sullivan in the Cubune, a reliable source in my book.

I haven't been repeating it around here for 3 years because I invented it. Maybe the Friends of Crash haven't been paying attention?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just for the record, would you guys who want to hear teammate quotes, please reference the last time you heard ANY MLB player rip on a current teammate for anything in public?

If you can actually find one of those, can you go one step further and mention when you heard a player rip on his current teammate for actions performed ON the field (hitting, defense, etc.) and not for off the field behavior.

the accusation was made that mlb players say he's a lousy fielder. i'd just like to find where that thought came from.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, now what does Frank ahve to do with this subject?

I edited the poll just slightly to put the word "Center" in front of "fielder" as that is what we are actually discussing.

I will now delete my poll...
No problem with the change. I only said Frank because it was mentioned that even his own players could say something negative about him and that wouldn't suffice me. Idseer said he would love to entertain those quotes, which I agreed. I mentioned Frank only because the two are pretty good friends and I doubt he would be included if any exist.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
The "Robocop" nickname was attributed to Sox teammates of his back in 2001 when he got his first auditions with the Sox. I believe the quotes came from Paul Sullivan in the Cubune, a reliable source in my book.

I haven't been repeating it around here for 3 years because I invented it. Maybe the Friends of Crash haven't been paying attention?
Robocop is a bad ***. I wouldn't take that as an insult. Besides, that along with crash doesn't suggest to me that he is just out of control. It says to me that he gives up his body for the ball, which pitchers and teammates appreciate as far as I am aware.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

well, i'm not sure what robocop has to do with fielding.
and suddenly we're believing writers who make accusations on behalf of players?

as far as i understand, the nickname 'crash' comes from his running into a wall going after a ball a few times. i fail to see how that is an indictment of his fielding. in fact it would seem more a compliment to me.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Robocop is a bad ***. I wouldn't take that as an insult. Besides, that along with crash doesn't suggest to me that he is just out of control. It says to me that he gives up his body for the ball, which pitchers and teammates appreciate as far as I am aware.
Sullivan didn't give names. He was specific mentioning the nickname was borne by the general laughter in the dugout from his teammates about Rowand's fielding style. You may recall he ran into quite a few walls those first few weeks with the team. That's what made the "Sox Beat" tidbit newsworthy.

Laughing at him, not with him? That's what Sully said.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sullivan didn't give names. He was specific mentioning the nickname was borne by the general laughter in the dugout from his teammates about Rowand's fielding style. You may recall he ran into quite a few walls those first few weeks with the team. That's what made the "Sox Beat" tidbit newsworthy.

Laughing at him, not with him? That's what Sully said.
Laughing at him, not with him? I don't buy that. Besides, the guy was on the team for a limited time with no relations with anyone, and left first chance he got. I don't put too much stock into what that joker says.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Laughing at him, not with him? I don't buy that. Besides, the guy was on the team for a limited time with no relations with anyone, and left first chance he got. I don't put too much stock into what that joker says.
Of course you don't buy it. That's the most obvious post of this entire thread.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Of course you don't buy it. That's the most obvious post of this entire thread.
Regardless, do you have any quoted sources confirming this?