White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Banned

Default Cotts = closer?

He looks pretty unhittable this year. And he's probably the most deceptively fast thrower I've seen. He only throws 91 or so, but it looks like 95. With that big slow curve as his out pitch and that "bulldog" attitude, he looks like he could be closer material in the future. He's aggressive and seems to be fearless. DW is soft.

I'm not saying throw him out there now, first you gotta let him start and show what he can do. But this hit me watching him tonight. Of all the relievers on our staff, I would peg him as the most likely to be able to close well. FWIW. Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Banned

I don't think that's a good idea, although that's just my opinion. Cotts is better suited for the role he currently is in, and besides, it better prepares him for the rotation, which will probably happen next year.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default As long as it keeps working...

... the Sox should continue the closer by committee scenario... for now.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SEALgep
I don't think that's a good idea, although that's just my opinion. Cotts is better suited for the role he currently is in, and besides, it better prepares him for the rotation, which will probably happen next year.
What's not a good idea? Remember I didn't say to throw him into the fire now. Just a possibility down the road. And he better see the rotation before next year.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What's not a good idea? Remember I didn't say to throw him into the fire now. Just a possibility down the road. And he better see the rotation before next year.
I know, I don't think he would ever be better suited for the closer role. He's not overpowering in the sense of speed, but overpowering with deception. That makes him an effective pitcher for longer stretches than just the last inning. He would be better suited as a starter down the road, and is used well now in his current role. However, if you want him to be part of the rotation within the year, what's this closer talk?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know, I don't think he would ever be better suited for the closer role. He's not overpowering in the sense of speed, but overpowering with deception. That makes him an effective pitcher for longer stretches than just the last inning. He would be better suited as a starter down the road, and is used well now in his current role. However, if you want him to be part of the rotation within the year, what's this closer talk?
It's just a topic of conversation.

And as for him starting, he has to be given a shot because he's been lights out all year. We're talking about a young kid not a 28 year old rookie. The closer talk is a future possibility if he fails as a starter. He comes in making guys miss and he appears to have balls.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 PM
WSI Personality

Cotts should=#5 starter.....

I Hope Ozzie comes to his senses and gives him a chance evetually.....
Old 04-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It's just a topic of conversation.

And as for him starting, he has to be given a shot because he's been lights out all year. We're talking about a young kid not a 28 year old rookie. The closer talk is a future possibility if he fails as a starter. He comes in making guys miss and he appears to have balls.
And I'm conversing.

I would rather see him fail before we start talking making him a closer. He's a starter, not a future closer. We'll have other options at the closer spot, better options. Cotts would not be fully utilizing his potential there, much better as a starter. Until then, he's just fine as a reliever who can go a few innings.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd like to see Cotts pitch two or three good months in the pen before I we try him the rotation again.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
And I'm conversing.

I would rather see him fail before we start talking making him a closer. He's a starter, not a future closer. We'll have other options at the closer spot, better options. Cotts would not be fully utilizing his potential there, much better as a starter. Until then, he's just fine as a reliever who can go a few innings.
The whole point was to see if anyone thinks that he's got what it takes in case he fails as a starter.

Who are the better options? You can't mean better as in better pitcher. We got a few guys like Politte and Adkins who might be able to close, but they're not major hopes or anything.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

That curveball isnt really all that great, but it's certainly a lot better than last year.

Why have him close when we have Marte and Politte both whom would be just as capable or even more capable. Cotts would be best served by taking Wrights rotation spot.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 04-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd like to see Cotts pitch two or three good months in the pen before I we try him the rotation again.
So you want to wait til Wright's record is 0-10 before you make a decisive move on the 5th starter issue? I say Wright needs to have some success in the pen before he's given the privilege to start. He's just in a total career funk and to keep throwing him out there every 5 days is gonna do him no good at all. He's got no confidence in himself and worst of all no luck whatsoever. He just can't win, and hasn't been able to for a really long time. He needs a change of scenery (by going to the pen, not another team) and the sooner we give Cotts a shot, the sooner we see what he can do--whether it's to become a full time starter or send him back to the pen and see what role he'll eventually fill, i.e. closer like I brought up. I just think what we're doing now makes no sense.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That curveball isnt really all that great, but it's certainly a lot better than last year.

Why have him close when we have Marte and Politte both whom would be just as capable or even more capable. Cotts would be best served by taking Wrights rotation spot.
Politte's proven that he can't handle the closing role in the past. He could change, yeah. But with Cotts we have no evidence that he CANT do it, and that's all I'm saying. And Damaso is just way too good of a setup man to be a closer, and even he's been shaky in that role. He's not quite the same pitcher when he closes. If you wanna maximize our pen you have to let Damaso pitch the 8th.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Honestly, come on! Cotts is a starter. Just because guys have good showings, doesn't mean that we should nominate them for jobs that they have never done. Cotts should be starting. He will be starting in the near future.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I know, I don't think he would ever be better suited for the closer role. He's not overpowering in the sense of speed, but overpowering with deception.
Wasnt Foulke a bit like that? thats part of the reason they traded him, right?