White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2004, 06:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Balco Revisited from not too long ago...

Karl Raveich (sp?) just reported that Victor Conti, owner of BALCO, currently indicted, admitted that he provided HGH to Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield.

Bonds is an amazing hitter - you have to be to do the things he has done. But it is a shame that it appears that he had to cheat in order to accomplish some of those things. I wonder if any other names will surface - specifically I am thinking of McGwire (bay area product) and Sammy or some of his "people".
Old 04-25-2004, 06:33 PM
WSI Regular

whatever does happen, MLB is just going to give cover to their superstars.

It is a great shame that players that are great used these things, although not punishable by the MLB, they shot themselves in the arm when in comes to being mentioned as greatest players in MLB history. Look at Bonds, no matter what he does, many will never look at him in the same light as Aaron, Mays, Ruth, etc.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NSSoxFan2
Look at Bonds, no matter what he does, many will never look at him in the same light as Aaron, Mays, Ruth, etc.
Many applies to me.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Years from now all the numbers compiled by players of this era will be suspect.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulwny
Years from now all the numbers compiled by players of this era will be suspect.
Guilty until proven innocent, right?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Yep, 40 yrs from now those under the age of 30 will assume everyone was a user, especially if they see the current mlb drug rules.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Re: Balco Update

Quote:
Originally posted by jabrch
Karl Raveich (sp?) just reported that Victor Conti, owner of BALCO, currently indicted, admitted that he provided HGH to Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield.

Bonds is an amazing hitter - you have to be to do the things he has done. But it is a shame that it appears that he had to cheat in order to accomplish some of those things. I wonder if any other names will surface - specifically I am thinking of McGwire (bay area product) and Sammy or some of his "people".
Where was this reported?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

Default Bonds only 201 behind Sadaharu Oh

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Right.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Until i see written proof that they did it, i'm not convinced. plus i like bonds for his skills, which by the way, has not changed since he started
Old 04-25-2004, 08:49 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Champs2004
Until i see written proof that they did it, i'm not convinced. plus i like bonds for his skills, which by the way, has not changed since he started
Your right, he is innocent! It is not too uncommon for a person to grow two hat sizes in one year or for professional athletes to have their career years at age 37+. Also, I am getting sick of people accusing Sammy of "willingly" putting cork in his bat. Everyone knows it was an honest mistake...........
Old 04-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Everyone knows it was an honest mistake...........
Shouldn't this be in teal? We all know Sosa cheats 24/7.

Quote:
and Sammy or some of his "people".
Jabrch, address Sosa correctly, his name is Sham-me not Sammy
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
WSI High Priest

The thing is Marrian Jones was also named. Now we know the Track and Field have a very strong testing program and have saved samples which they will or have retest for the steroid BALCO is accused of providing. If she isn't found to test positive for this drug, then the guys whole story becomes suspect. He may be naming names to avoid prosecution and to Federal Agent or US DA nailing a Barry Bonds is better for your career then some small firm.

List of athletes names:
Quote:
The following are the 27 athletes alleged in a federal investigator's memorandum to have received THG from Balco Laboratories, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Those who have tested positive for the designer steroid are denoted with an asterisk:

BASEBALL
Barry Bonds: No. 3 on all-time home run list. Testified before federal grand jury.
Gary Sheffield: New York Yankees standout. Testified before grand jury.
Jason Giambi: New York Yankees star first baseman. Testified before grand jury.
Jeremy Giambi: Former A's player. Testified before grand jury.
Armando Rios: Former Giants player.

FOOTBALL
* Bill Romanowski: Former Raiders linebacker. Testified before grand jury.
* Dana Stubblefield: Lineman who was the NFL's 1997 defensive player of the year. Testified before grand jury.
Josh Taves: Former Raiders defensive lineman.
* Barret Robbins: Raiders center. Testified before grand jury.
* Chris Cooper: Raiders defensive lineman. Testified before grand jury.
Johnnie Morton: Wide receiver with the Kansas City Chiefs. Testified before grand jury.
Daryl Gardener: Was with the Denver Broncos last season.

TRACK AND FIELD
Marion Jones: Five-medal winner at 2000 Olympics, including three gold. Testified before grand jury.
Tim Montgomery: World-record holder in the 100 meters. Testified before grand jury.
* Regina Jacobs: Qualified for four U.S. Olympic teams in middle-distance events. Testified before grand jury.
* Kevin Toth: Shot put of 74 feet, 4 inches last April was world's best since 1990. Testified before grand jury.
Alvin Harrison: 2000 Olympic 400m silver medalist; two-time gold medalist in 4x400 relay. Testified before grand jury.
Calvin Harrison (Alvin's twin): 2000 Olympic gold medalist in 4x400 relay. Testified before grand jury.
Kelli White: 2003 world outdoor 100- and 200m champion. Testified before grand jury.
Chryste Gaines: 2000 Olympic 4x100 relay bronze medalist; 1996 Olympic 4x100 relay gold medalist. Testified before grand jury.
Eric Thomas: 2003 U.S. 400m hurdles champion.
Michelle Collins: 2003 world indoor and U.S. indoor 200m champion. Testified before grand jury.
Ramon Clay: 2002 U.S. outdoor 200m champion.
* Dwain Chambers: English sprinter banned by UK Athletics in Feb. for taking steroids.
* John McEwen: Second at 2002 U.S. outdoor hammer-throw compeition.
Zhanna Block: Ukrainian sprinter; two-time world outdoor gold medalist.
Olga Vasdeki: Greek triple jumper.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1789558
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs2004

http://www.thehomerunguys.com/Animat...e_With_THG.htm

Here's all the "written proof" I need.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 03-26-2005, 07:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs2004
Until i see written proof that they did it, i'm not convinced.
How about visual proof?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bondscombo.jpg (35.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Well, we have three guys who admit to taking steroids either purposefully or unwittingly. Two of them own the top two single-season HR seasons in MLB history and the third is an MVP who had a steroid clause taken out of his contract and whose numbers suddenly tanked the minute they started testing.

Then there's that other guy who also has a top single season HR total (shattered the previous record by close to 10% only to finish second). He denies taking "illegal" steroids but has been caught redhanded using a corked bat.

At what point do we turn around and say... all this smoke... something MUST be burning...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...