White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


View Poll Results: What accounts for the Sox' home run success
Multitude of power hitters 25 64.10%
Favorable hitter dimensions 0 0%
Both Equally 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 PM
MRKARNO MRKARNO is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown
Posts: 7,678
Default The White Sox, the Cell and home runs

I just want to post a question to everyone. The White Sox are one of the few teams in major league history to hit more than 200 home runs in four consecutive seasons. What do you think accounts for this? Is it our deep linep which has a lot of home run hitters or do you think the hitters have the dimensions at the cell to thank for this? Even though the dimensions are somewhat favorable to hitters, the stats seem to indicate that opponents do not have the same success hitting home runs at the cell the past few years. How does everyone feel about this issue? I think that it's somewhere in the middle
__________________
Post season checklist:
First home playoff win in 46 years Check
First playoff series win in 88 years Check
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 PM
SoxFan76 SoxFan76 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dekalb
Posts: 3,272
Default

It's due to a team full of power hitters. The park helps too, but this team is stacked with 25 plus home run guys.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2004, 08:43 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

The Sox have so much power in their lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the league in home runs this season. Of course, that shouldn't necessarily be the goal for them, but if it happens, I won't complain. After seeing the team stagger through most of last season with the offense sputtering, it will be nice to see what the Sox are really capable of now that Manuel isn't around to screw things up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2004, 09:58 PM
batmanZoSo batmanZoSo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Machu Picchu
Posts: 13,780
Default Re: The White Sox, the Cell and home runs

Quote:
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I just want to post a question to everyone. The White Sox are one of the few teams in major league history to hit more than 200 home runs in four consecutive seasons. What do you think accounts for this? Is it our deep linep which has a lot of home run hitters or do you think the hitters have the dimensions at the cell to thank for this? Even though the dimensions are somewhat favorable to hitters, the stats seem to indicate that opponents do not have the same success hitting home runs at the cell the past few years. How does everyone feel about this issue? I think that it's somewhere in the middle
Our park is about as equal for pitchers and hitters as you can get. Statistically I think the Cell is up there in homers per game but the dimensions are fair. 330 is kinda cheap but a lot of parks are even shorter, and home runs rarely go down the lines.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14 PM
npdempse npdempse is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 575
Default Re: Re: The White Sox, the Cell and home runs

Quote:
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Our park is about as equal for pitchers and hitters as you can get. Statistically I think the Cell is up there in homers per game but the dimensions are fair. 330 is kinda cheap but a lot of parks are even shorter, and home runs rarely go down the lines.
If we wants to be real nerdy, BP puts the park factor at 1.018. That's a really tiny hitter's advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
MRKARNO MRKARNO is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown
Posts: 7,678
Default Re: Re: Re: The White Sox, the Cell and home runs

Quote:
Originally posted by npdempse
If we wants to be real nerdy, BP puts the park factor at 1.018. That's a really tiny hitter's advantage.
But Bill James says the park has a huge home run factor. I guess that's just because we've been able to assemble a home run hitting lineup that plays in every game at the park.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.