GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Banned

Your greatest Sox Moment?

What is your greatest Sox moment?

Mine was Carlos Lee' hitting a grand slam against the Cubs in the 10th inning (2001) to win the game. The park exploded. It was electric.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...news&fext=.jsp
Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
WSI Regular

I've got 2.

Growing up, it was definitely being at the game where they clinched the division in '83.

More recently, the comeback game against the Flubs and Kerry Wood a couple of seasons ago. By far the loudest and most electric game I have gone to at new Comiskey.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:01 AM
WSI Guru

July 31, 1991. Ventura's grandslam off Gossage and Texas to win the game after trailing 8-6. Hawk went nuts and New Comiskey felt like the Sox had just won the World Series. It capped off one of the greatest months by a Sox player ever - I think that was Ventura's 14th homer in the month of July. The Sox were only a game or two behind the Twins at that point, and they looked like they had a shot at winning the division. Frank lifted Robin up on his shoulder at the plate...and that may have been the night Hawk coined the name "Big Hurt" for Frank.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 AM
WSI Personality

Default Re: Your greatest Sox Moment?

Quote:
Originally posted by BeerHandle

Mine was Carlos Lee' hitting a grand slam against the Cubs in the 10th inning (2001) to win the game. The park exploded. It was electric.
As much as I wish it was something post season related, I have to agree that this was my fav, along w/ The Comeback vs. the cubs. All of those stupid cub's fans grinning, gloating and dancing in our house. Then...POOF! They gone!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Re: Your greatest Sox Moment?

Quote:
Originally posted by BeerHandle

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...news&fext=.jsp
I attended no memorable games at Old Comiskey, that I know of, and wasn't really into the Sox until '94/'95 or so, so I too would rank Carlos's granny -- one that ended a game that started horribly, if you'll remember (David Wells absolutely SUCKING in the first inning) -- up there.

I would also rank the 14 or 15-inning Flubs/Sox game at Comiskey from 2000, when the Sox finally won it on a sac fly (I believe it was Ray-Ray who scored). Sham-ME* hit a HUGE zinger off Keith Foulke with 2 outs in the 9th to tie it, after striking out 4 times earlier that night.

A 6-0 complete game shutout by Cal Eldred against the Indians in 2000 was really memorable, too.

Jose's Sham-ME* imitation in 2001 or 02 at Wrigley was classic, too.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Leaving My Wedding Oct. 23rd, 2004 early to catch the First game of the WhiteSox v. Phillies World Series
Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

The above mentioned White Sox/Cubs games were sweet.

I'd also add Bo Jackson's HR against Seattle during the White Sox' clincher in '93 to this list.

Also, the White Sox come from behind victory in 2000 against the NYY after Carlos Lee's 9th inning lead-off solo HR, late at night, during a rain-delayed game. Jose Valentin hit the game-winning RBI for the 4-3 White Sox win and, what was left of the fans, made the ballpark sound like it was filled to capacity..... especially those Sox fans that went right up to the NYY fans and shoved the smugness during the game right back in their face.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

I've described it so many times here I won't again. Let's just say the June 1957 game where Larry Doby took on Art Ditmar of the Yankees, and Big Moose Walt Dropo took on Enos Slaughter. Second game I ever went to.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

June 14, 1970. A doubleheader against the Washington Senators which also happened to be the first White Sox games I ever attended. My dad, my brother and my friend Jim. They lost both games but I will never forget it.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by CubKilla
Also, the White Sox come from behind victory in 2000 against the NYY after Carlos Lee's 9th inning lead-off solo HR, late at night, during a rain-delayed game. Jose Valentin hit the game-winning RBI for the 4-3 White Sox win and, what was left of the fans, made the ballpark sound like it was filled to capacity..... especially those Sox fans that went right up to the NYY fans and shoved the smugness during the game right back in their face.
Ooh. I forgot about that one. I was working down in Tampa and I flew in for that game. I came straight from the air port w/ my wheelie bag and I check my bags at the coat check on the main concourse(can't do that anymore after 9-11). I looked like an ass, but I didn't care. That was a great game!

That also reminds me...the first game back after 9-11. That was pretty incredible. We lost, but the amount of emotion at that game was INTENSE. I have NEVER experienced anything like that before.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

The second game of the Cubs/Sox series last year at USCF. It was a back and forth game the whole way through and the place was rockin.

The highlights I remember best are:

Rowand hitting a homerun over the wall in left to take the lead in the middle innings.

Carlos Lee making an outstanding catch at the wall in left/center.

The chanting of “Paulie! Paulie!” when Konerko stepped to the plate and then proceded to make an out.

The taunting by Cubs fans because of the “Paulie” chant.

Jiminez somehow ending up playing third base in the 9th inning because Manuel is an idot.

Dusty Baker intentionally walking Tony G (***?) to get to Jiminez who singled up the middle to drive in the winning run!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

One more…

Hearing updates over the intercom at Wal-Mart every 20 minutes or so during game 6 of the NLCS last year. Well, up until right around 9:30. Then I didn’t hear anymore updates. I found out why when I got to my car.

To paraphrase PHG, a Sox win is great but we’ll take a Cubs loss in a pinch…
Old 03-26-2004, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The second game of the Cubs/Sox series last year at USCF. It was a back and forth game the whole way through and the place was rockin.

The highlights I remember best are:

Rowand hitting a homerun over the wall in left to take the lead in the middle innings.

Carlos Lee making an outstanding catch at the wall in left/center.

The chanting of “Paulie! Paulie!” when Konerko stepped to the plate and then proceded to make an out.

The taunting by Cubs fans because of the “Paulie” chant.

Jiminez somehow ending up playing third base in the 9th inning because Manuel is an idot.

Dusty Baker intentionally walking Tony G (***?) to get to Jiminez who singled up the middle to drive in the winning run!!!
I was at this game. What was so special about this game was that it wasn't defined by one moment, but by many moments. Bartolo Colon was pitching HORRIBLY this game. Lots of Corky and Steroids taunting of Sosa. When he got out there was a huge cheer throughout the stadium.

And you can't forget the rain delay. The cubs were up by 2 and they were all cheering when it started to rain. Everyone ran for shelter and the cubs fans were happy, but then the sun came out and all the sox fans were happy and they restarted the game.

It was probably the most fun overall game I've ever attended.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 03-26-2004, 11:24 AM
WSI Regular

I have a few;

1) being in the Bat Day crowd of 55,555
2) The above mentioned Robin Ventura Grand Slam
3) Being in the last row of the Upper Deck to watch the Sox clinch in 1993
4) and a sentimental one, being 8 years old and yelling to Melty to hit a homer, and then he did, felt to this 8 year old that he did it for me
Old 03-26-2004, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

The time I hit a go ahead single in a pivotal Little League game for the White Sox, sponsored by Proctor Hospital.