White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

Default MVP Baseball 2004 talk

Let's get some talk going here on MVP 2004. Share your favorite moments, best games, reactions to the game, etc.

After getting crushed by the Cubs 21-1 (or something like that) in my first game, I finally realized how to pitch. I kept selecting the pitch and using X to try to control the meters. So I constantly gave up HR's and hits. In my second game I took on the Twins. I was down 5-0 through 7 1/2 when I broke out the lumber. Back-to-back-to-back-to-back HR's by Frank, Maggs, Carlos, and Paulie left me within one. A Crede double and a few other hits tied the game. I had a weird moment though in the 8th. I had a runner on 3rd within 1 out and Konerko coming up and they decide to walk Konerko (1-3 with a HR) to face Crede (3-3 with 2 doubles and a single). Maybe the CPU felt setting up the double play was of importance because otherwise I have no reason why they would rather face Crede who was smoking than Konerko, even though he had one HR. I ended up winning the game by 1 when Marte almost blew the game for me in the 9th.

I'm assuming most people here play as the Sox, so what are your opinions on the players in the game. For me, Carlos and Crede have been my best hitters. Crede has been an absolute monster and going the other way, even when I'm not trying to. I player a game in Fenway where he had 3 gap shots to right center for doubles. Frank has way too many cold spots IMO. Other than that though, when it is left over the plate I usually crush it.

Does anyone else have problems with the pitching challenge? I can't win it! I played it once with me as Pedro and the CPU as Mike freaking Maroth. The damn thing cheats! I'm sitting there mixing speeds, locations, trying to hit the corners, etc. and guys like Roger Cedeno are taking me deep! Meanwhile I'm watching the CPU and the hitters are just sitting there taking pitches right over the plate for Maroth. They didn't take a single pitch against me even when I'd throw a perfect slider! If it wasn't a ball, they would swing. It's pissing me off. And that's not even getting into the hitting challenge where everything I hit with Arod manages to go foul to the right side, even when I'm trying to pull the ball! Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone have advice on this?

It's really a great game though overall. Well worth the money.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
WSI Personality

I've had a game between Boston and San Francisco that was tied at 0 until the top of the 14th, when Manny hit a solo shot that won the game.

I had a game between the White Sox and the Royals that was tied at 6-6 until the bottom of the 16th when Frank Thomas doubled home Carlos Lee for the winner.

The game before that, Mark Buerhle pitched a perfect game for 8 and 1/3 when Joe Randa hit a fluke single to break it up(the next batter promptly grounded into a double play to end the game)

My best player has actually been Aaron Rowand.

Pitching is quite easy for me, but hitting and fielding are a lot more difficult.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:21 PM
WSI Guru

Still haven't gotten a baseball game for my ps2 yet.

Is this the best game to get?

Has anyone tried more than one game?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:41 PM
WSI Prelate

I am 19-17 with my Sox dynasty...

No one is batting over .300. Closest is Mags at .294 or so. Paulie is batting .205, talk about realistic!

I created Rauch, Gload, and Shingo. Gload is out for 60 days with a torn left shoulder .

I've traded some AAA and AA guys for others in the minors. I picked up a pretty good first basemen that hits for average and a speedy SS with great contact rating. I expect them to replace Jose and Paulie at the seasons end.

Once Gload comes back I will probably put Paulie on the trading block, he sucks!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

I need to create a few players, and while I can get their stats from online and their appearance, I need to know a little about their playing style to create them decently.

Does anyone know what pitches the following pitchers throw? and whether they are a hard thrower or not...

Rauch - Think he's a soft thrower with a curve and a sinker? maybe

Shingo - Soft thrower with a change and what else?

Jason Grili - ?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am in 2nd to last, 1 game ahead of the twins, go figure, in my season. Crede and Carlos started out as my best hitters, and i sat Olivo in favor of Sandy, because Olivo was terrible at first. Then I gaev him another shot, and he has been tearing it up, he was hitting .135 before i sat him, and now he's up to .390. Carlos has been my best power hitter followed by Frank. Suprisingly, Buehrle has been my worst pitcher, along with Garland, Buehrle was 0-5 and I took him out of the rotation, and Garland is 0-6, but Josh Stewart is 6-1, and if it wasnt for him, I would only have 7 wins or so. I'm about to put Buehrle back into the rotatin, to see if he doesnt stop getting slammed, he has been great in relief. I put Cotts in for him, but he wasn't very good in his couple starts. Wright and Loaiza have been decent, but not great. I have no problem getting hits, but its timely hitting that kills me. I'll have 9 hits, but it will be like 1 an inning, like a triple, then 3 straight groundouts, geeze pretty realistic. Btu I am gettin better. The power is starting to come around, and I've realized, that Carlos is a better hitter right in front of Frank than in the 5 spot i had him in.

The only guy I created was Reed, although I think I made him a little too good, He's not great, but probably better than he is right now in his career. I also made Olivo faster since his speed in the game is very slow.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hitting is so hard in this game! Like pearso66 said, I'll get like 8 hits a game but they'll all come in different innings. I finally snapped a 3 game losing streak today. It's frustrating at times, but I like how this sports game is actually a challenge!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Banned

I'm doing bad in my dynasty but a lot of close games (that trip to TB helps!) I gave Aaron a shot, but he hasn't done anything, Willie has been a nice surprise. I really need to beef up the pen. Hopefully the Opening Day Roster update will fix the holes and create players needed.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Did you guys hear about the "left handed" glitch. I am pretty sure it's true...

Basically, left handers don't hit the ball nearly as far as right handers do. I have noticed it. I don't have a lot of lefty power hitters on my team, but everyone at ign.com is talking about it.

It's not a huge deal, but a big deal nonetheless. I have Corey Patterson on my team, and haven't hit a homer yet with him, and he has pretty decent pop. I have only played about 6 games, though.

On another note, I just did a fantasy draft with the Sox. I drafted players with speed and pop, that play decent defense. (Derrick Lee, Corey Patterson, Soriano, Renteria, Patterson). No, I not a Cubs fan, but Petterson, DLee and Patterson are GOOD in this game.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 AM
WSI Regular

I did notice something seemed wrong with the lefties when I did a homerun showdown using Jason Giambi. I won the derby somehow but I only hit one HR.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 AM
WSI Prelate

I have no problem hitting homeruns with Jose. So I think all of the other players complaining about it just suck.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

Olivo is really slow in '03 too. I guess they don't realize that he's a fast catcher. I asked this in another thread, but nobody responded. I'm not a fan of buying the next year's sports game when I already have one. What I mean is, I have '03 already, so is it worth buying '04? The Madden games are plateauing, so I probably won't buy '05 since I have '04. Is MVP 2004 that much better than 2003? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, what's a good site with updated rosters/player ratings. Not downloadable rosters since I don' t have those things to transfer data, just sites where they list updated ratings.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On another note, I just did a fantasy draft with the Sox. I drafted players with speed and pop, that play decent defense. (Derrick Lee, Corey Patterson, Soriano, Renteria, Patterson). No, I not a Cubs fan, but Petterson, DLee and Patterson are GOOD in this game.
Yeah, I did a draft too because I didn't feel like manually updating the roster. I drafted 2 scrub players, D Lee and the passion of the prior. D. Lee is a beast in this game and he was the first to get 10 HRs in the season. I got an email in the game saying that he was on pace to hit 130 HRs this season!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Fridaythe13thJason

'04 is way better than '03. A very different game.

www.operationsports.com is a good site.